www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 15-04-20, 10:01   #1
otbr87
Hobbyist

Default Question About Underworld/Legends Comparison to 2013-2018 Trilogy

I recently happened to stumble across the new Tomb Raider Trilogy 2013-2018 and absolutely loved it! I particularly enjoyed the realism of the character development, the image and overall appeal of how they improved Lara Croft from being a really bad character in the 90's to something relatable and timeless. I grew up as a gamer in the 90s/early 2000s when the original Tomb Raider games came out and personally I could not stand them for various reasons from the controls, story and most of all the main character with the false bravado 'badass' persona of the earlier version of Lara Crofts character model. I hadn't touched video games at all between 2005 and 2019 and do not find most of whats come out in the last 15 years to be good, but the new TR franchise is surprisingly good. Since I missed everything post 2006 my question is:

As a fan of the new TR Trilogy and as someone who doesn't like anything about the original era TR games, are Tomb Raider Underworld & Legend worth playing?? If so, why? If no, why not?

Last edited by otbr87; 15-04-20 at 10:05.
otbr87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-20, 10:10   #2
MissJodieG
Professor

Just to warn you: your post is going to receive a lot of criticism, simply because there are some huge Classic fans on here who won‘t like the points you‘ve made about these games.

And to answer your question: I‘m not sure if you‘d like the LAU trilogy. It‘s very different from both the Reboot trilogy and the Classic games. The controls are a lot smoother than in the classic games, there‘s no manual aiming as in the Reboot games though. Character wise I‘d say that Lara tends to be more like in the Classic games than in the Reboot.

You should probably just try the games for yourself. They are often on sale on Steam for less than 5 bucks.
MissJodieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-20, 10:23   #3
Scilli
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbr87 View Post
I recently happened to stumble across the new Tomb Raider Trilogy 2013-2018 and absolutely loved it! I particularly enjoyed the realism of the character development, the image and overall appeal of how they improved Lara Croft from being a really bad character in the 90's to something relatable and timeless. I grew up as a gamer in the 90s/early 2000s when the original Tomb Raider games came out and personally I could not stand them for various reasons from the controls, story and most of all the main character with the false bravado 'badass' persona of the earlier version of Lara Crofts character model. I hadn't touched video games at all between 2005 and 2019 and do not find most of whats come out in the last 15 years to be good, but the new TR franchise is surprisingly good. Since I missed everything post 2006 my question is:

As a fan of the new TR Trilogy and as someone who doesn't like anything about the original era TR games, are Tomb Raider Underworld & Legend worth playing?? If so, why? If no, why not?
First of all, welcome to this forum.
I hope you like it here and have a good time.
Now on to your question:

Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld are more like modernized games of the old classics. Better controls, but way smaller in scale and the isolation aspect is not there.
Lara has still aspects i think you desribed as "badass" persona and most likely it does not suit you if you are not into that kind of thing.
However, you can do the folowing thing:
On steam you can download a demo for free and see if you like it.
Happy Raiding!

Last edited by Scilli; 15-04-20 at 10:29.
Scilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-20, 10:34   #4
otbr87
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJodieG View Post
Just to warn you: your post is going to receive a lot of criticism, simply because there are some huge Classic fans on here who won‘t like the points you‘ve made about these games.

And to answer your question: I‘m not sure if you‘d like the LAU trilogy. It‘s very different from both the Reboot trilogy and the Classic games. The controls are a lot smoother than in the classic games, there‘s no manual aiming as in the Reboot games though. Character wise I‘d say that Lara tends to be more like in the Classic games than in the Reboot.

You should probably just try the games for yourself. They are often on sale on Steam for less than 5 bucks.
Thank You for your response. Thank you for the heads up on the potential of upcoming criticism. The source in which I found out about this forum actually warned me that there was a lot of negativity and hatred towards new TR and defensiveness over new TR fans not liking the classic games. I posted this to get a perspective from both classic fans, new fans and people who like both. If people have negative things to say about my opinion and/or question outside of their opinion, that's on them. I'm hoping to have adult level discussions here regarding any Tomb Raider game, time will tell.

Thanks for the input on the game play as well, I was going to purchase on Xbox but at $20 a piece it's a bit steep with the current economical shutdown happening here, so I thought I'd get some input from TR fans before making the purchase. I apparently just missed these two games for $2 each on Xbox.
Old 15-04-20, 10:35   #5
otbr87
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scilli View Post
First of all, welcome to this forum.
I hope you like it here and have a good time.
Now on to your question:

Tomb Raider Legend and Underworld are more like modernized games of the old classics. Better controls, but way smaller in scale and the isolation aspect is not there.
Lara has still aspects i think you desribed as "badass" persona and most likely it does not suit you if you are not into that kind of thing.
However, you can do the folowing thing:
On steam you can download a demo for free and see if you like it.
Happy Raiding!
Thank You for the greeting and honest input on the games. Steam didn't come to mind as I'm usually on consoles lately but I will head over and check out the demos!
Old 15-04-20, 10:49   #6
MissJodieG
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by otbr87 View Post
Thank You for your response. Thank you for the heads up on the potential of upcoming criticism. The source in which I found out about this forum actually warned me that there was a lot of negativity and hatred towards new TR and defensiveness over new TR fans not liking the classic games. I posted this to get a perspective from both classic fans, new fans and people who like both. If people have negative things to say about my opinion and/or question outside of their opinion, that's on them. I'm hoping to have adult level discussions here regarding any Tomb Raider game, time will tell.

Thanks for the input on the game play as well, I was going to purchase on Xbox but at $20 a piece it's a bit steep with the current economical shutdown happening here, so I thought I'd get some input from TR fans before making the purchase. I apparently just missed these two games for $2 each on Xbox.
Another little heads up: it‘s not allowed to post twice in a row but there‘s an option edit your posts if you‘d like to reply to another post but don‘t want to wait for someone else to post first.

Also welcome to the forums, I hope you like it here and will be able to have nice conversations and lead constructive discussions.

I‘d wait for another sale if I were you. $20 for something you might not like is really not a good price. And if the games are as often on sale on Xbox as on Steam, you probably won‘t have to wait that long.
MissJodieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-20, 11:10   #7
Mikky
Legend

Welcome to the forums. Now if you'd kindly follow me to the exit...

Just kidding! Regarding your question: is it just Legend and Underworld you're considering? Because Anniversary is included in that era/trilogy and it's probably the one with the most substance. They're not much like the classics, controls-wise, meaning they're much more modernised and easier to grasp. The gameplay aspects are mostly there, it's just the difficulty is toned down considerably and they're very linear (with perhaps the exception of Anniversary). They're walks in the park, really, even more so than the reboot games. Now I think the stories are entertaining but don't expect any "depth" in Lara's character. In the end, they're good games, certainly fun in their own way and I'd say you should go into them with an open mind, but if you're hoping to get fill in some void and get similar experiences to the reboot, you're definitely looking in the wrong place.
Mikky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-20, 11:43   #8
killchan
Archaeologist

Underworld is very different from Legend. Less Hollywood, more open-ended exploration. I wouldn't take it for granted.
Old 15-04-20, 12:25   #9
Tomb Raidering
Professor

Just to let you know;

• Legend: The first game of the LAU trilogy. It features a James Bond-like Lara globetrotting around to find answers... to her personal problems.

• Anniversary: A re-imagining of TR1 with this new LAU Lara. It’s set 10 years prior to Legend, acting as a prequel to it, with new plot elements to fit into the new timeline. Lara’s still trying to find answers to her personal problems.

• Underworld: Taking a lot of inspiration from Anniversary, this direct sequel to Legend is actually quite different from Legend. It has it’s problems. This is the game that answers Lara’s questions about her... personal problems.

• Spin-off of the LAU timeline: Guardian of Light, Temple of Osiris, Lara Croft GO, Lara Croft Relic Run.

If you liked the reboots, you’ll probably somewhat like Legend since it’s different from the classics. Anniversary, as I said, is TR1 with new Lara and some new plot elements to fit in between Legend and Underworld. You’ll love the first two if you can ignore Lara “being badass” (she’s actually balanced in Anniversary, like the reboots).
Old 15-04-20, 12:26   #10
otbr87
Hobbyist

Thanks everyone for the input. Are there any other game franchises outside of Uncharted you can recommend that have a similar vibe and style to the TR reboot trilogy? Current gen ideally, but older gen is cool too.