www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

View Poll Results: What home game console have you enjoyed the most?
PS1 16 18.39%
PS2 25 28.74%
PS3 8 9.20%
PS4 9 10.34%
NES 1 1.15%
SNES 1 1.15%
N64 5 5.75%
GameCube 2 2.30%
Wii 1 1.15%
Wii U 0 0%
Switch 1 1.15%
Xbox 2 2.30%
Xbox 360 12 13.79%
Xbox One 4 4.60%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-06-19, 22:12   #11
Samz
Professor

PlayStation 2.

Lots of fond memories of Medal of Honor Frontline and other games such as the Conflict series.
Old 25-06-19, 00:24   #12
trfan16
Archaeologist

Tough choice between N64 and PS1 for me. Both consoles feature some of my all time favorite games and series. These were also the two consoles I remember playing as a kid. Ultimately, I chose N64 because it was the console I played the most in my childhood with my friends like the N64 Zelda games, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 007, Turok 2, Star Fox 64, Super Smash Brothers, Mario Party games, etc.

PS1 had a kick ass line-up too like the Resident Evil 1-3, Tomb Raider I-IV, Crash 1-3, Crash Team Racing, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, Legend of Dragoon... I figured most will probably vote PS1 anyways, so I wanted to give N64 some love.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-19, 00:30   #13
Ahmier
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Where is SEGA?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
Was about to ask the same thing! I spent way too much time with my Mega Drive!
I just noticed as soon as I saw my Dreamcast lol
Old 25-06-19, 00:37   #14
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Thinking of old PS2 (and some PS1) games I played hits me right in the childhood nostalgia feels. I'm gonna have to say PS2, I played the living **** out of mine so much that it eventually packed in and I had to get another one.

I'm still very brand-loyal to Playstation so the PS3 and 4 get honourable mentions. However a part of me feels like the gaming industry just isn't the same anymore, in the age of it being such a GIGANTIC beast of an industry, post-release patches, DLC and increasingly microtransactions. I miss when you'd buy a game, and that was just it. You put it into the console and it booted up straight away, no install time, with everything you were going to get out of it on that ****ing disc from day 1. Because of that, most developers packed lots of bonus stuff in for you to find/unlock, without any extra charge like we have now for DLC. You either had to unlock bonus content playing the game thoroughly, or maybe use a cheeky cheat code if you were feeling lazy.

Anyone else remember when cheat codes were a thing? What happened to those?

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 25-06-19 at 00:44.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-19, 08:00   #15
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Thinking of old PS2 (and some PS1) games I played hits me right in the childhood nostalgia feels. I'm gonna have to say PS2, I played the living **** out of mine so much that it eventually packed in and I had to get another one.

I'm still very brand-loyal to Playstation so the PS3 and 4 get honourable mentions. However a part of me feels like the gaming industry just isn't the same anymore, in the age of it being such a GIGANTIC beast of an industry, post-release patches, DLC and increasingly microtransactions. I miss when you'd buy a game, and that was just it. You put it into the console and it booted up straight away, no install time, with everything you were going to get out of it on that ****ing disc from day 1. Because of that, most developers packed lots of bonus stuff in for you to find/unlock, without any extra charge like we have now for DLC. You either had to unlock bonus content playing the game thoroughly, or maybe use a cheeky cheat code if you were feeling lazy.

Anyone else remember when cheat codes were a thing? What happened to those?
Selling them as DLC if saints row is any indication.
Old 25-06-19, 08:59   #16
Linoshi Croft
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Where is SEGA?
Agreed, I loved my Dreamcast.
Old 25-06-19, 09:54   #17
johnanonymouz
Professor

i was between ps2 and xbox 360 and i went with ps2!
Old 25-06-19, 10:16   #18
killchan
Explorer

PS2 and Gamecube. I voted PS2 because of the huge library.

They're pretty much the same as the PS1, but better. simple as that.
Unleashed framerate (the PS2 at least), better controls, FULL and FULLY FUNCTIONAL games (the good ones :P ), but also the same uncompromised vision of the PS1.
You know, back when games couldn't get away with being too easy, full of nothing. Hardware limits, disk size limits, developments costs... those games had to mean business, reviewers used to destroy easy games.

Speaking of library, I admit most tie-ins were terrible, but ehi they were are pretty easy to spot. Some were good though. Buffy, Spiderman, Matrix... There was also an absolutely dreadful Tekken spinoff, the one with Nina Williams on the cover. I expected to play a "street of rage" kind of game with tekken characters, but no: you attack by moving the right stick they had one job, goddamit! ONE!
But if you like play survival horrors and TRUE stealth games, PS2 is the **** dude, hands down.

Of course those consoles put emphasis on the graphics, every generation did, but that wasn't the only thing they had going for them.
I can't say the same thing about PS3 and 4.
Old 25-06-19, 12:51   #19
MrBear
Relic Hunter

PS1 gets my vote. I'd had a Gameboy beforehand, but when I got my PS1 console, everything changed. Tomb Raider, Crash Bandicoot and Crash Team Racing, Syphon Filter... Red Alert! I remember playing Red Alert for an hour on weekend mornings, before I even had breakfast. And then one time I was at a friend's house and they used a LINK cable to connect two PlayStations and play Red Alert against each other, and I still remember it so clearly because my mind was completely blown that day

Obviously, all of this is only partially to the credit of the console itself; much of it is simply because it's mixed with my childhood. But since the question centers on 'enjoyment,' there's no doubt about my vote.
Old 25-06-19, 14:04   #20
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I've enjoyed playing on all the playstations. Each one has it's own great games so it's hard to put one above the other.

I will say I don't like the ps4 controllers as they're too stiff and heavy for my hands and I've had to use ps3 controllers with the ps4 instead. So minus points on ps4 for that.