www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 27-06-19, 07:31   #1
_Seth
Explorer

Default If Chronicles was Remade

I was playing this and thinking how if it was remade for PS4/5 if it was ever part of a Core series reintroduction and remake, how it could be made better:

• Have the level sets play out chronologically, so we'd start with the strongest part; Ireland. That would be a great opening, gameplay-wise, and it's more logical to follow Lara's "untold adventures" in the order that which we never heard them.
  • Include Unfinished Business, Golden Mask and Lost Artefact. This extension could be advertised as (movie trailer voice guy:) "experience for the first time on console, previously exclusive episodes to PC featuring Unfinished Business, Golden Mask and The Lost Artefact, DOUBLING the game length of Tomb Raider Chronicles!"
  • Allow weapons and ammo to carry over from adventure to adventure. Obviously each adventure is a new one for Lara and so she wouldn't happen to have the same stock as the last, but you can apply some artistic licence to help gameplay by imagining that Lara does always go into her missions somewhat stocked, anyway.

What do you think?
Old 27-06-19, 09:37   #2
tomblover
Tomb Raider

I think including the Gold expansions would be a fantastic idea!

But, as for the level order, I do think they were placed in a way that made sense to begin with - echoing classic adventures to start off with, and then slowly becoming more experimental...

(at least it made sense at the time, what with AOD and the fact they probably wanted to ease players into just how different that would be)

As far as carryover, I don't think it's very necessary, but I also just like knowing that I can make use of everything I find while I'm there, so to speak.

Hell, if they wanted to remake the classics, they could remake 1-4 and put in the levels from Chronicles as part of a Season Pass - and then the Gold levels for the GOTY edition.
Old 27-06-19, 11:16   #3
_Seth
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
Hell, if they wanted to remake the classics, they could remake 1-4 and put in the levels from Chronicles as part of a Season Pass - and then the Gold levels for the GOTY edition.
God that's depressing.
Old 27-06-19, 12:24   #4
thabani33
Archaeologist

They should propably make this her in-game model:

thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-19, 14:29   #5
Caesum
Tomb Raider

^ I see you really want the remake to flop even harder than the original.

Personally I think if the game was ever remade, it should be reimagined as well. It was too short when compared to TR4 and didn't include some of the coolest features of Last Revelation, mainly the HUBs. Imagine Ireland made as a huge interconnected level where Lara would have to jump between levels in order to solve some stuff. Rome also could have benefit greatly from that, mainly because it already includes backtracking to the temple area.

They should also remove Larson and Pierre's death scenes. Instead they should show them either fainting or being hurt and retreating. Those were the only real issues for me.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-19, 14:31   #6
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
I was playing this and thinking how if it was remade for PS4/5 if it was ever part of a Core series reintroduction and remake, how it could be made better:

• Have the level sets play out chronologically, so we'd start with the strongest part; Ireland. That would be a great opening, gameplay-wise, and it's more logical to follow Lara's "untold adventures" in the order that which we never heard them.
  • Include Unfinished Business, Golden Mask and Lost Artefact. This extension could be advertised as (movie trailer voice guy:) "experience for the first time on console, previously exclusive episodes to PC featuring Unfinished Business, Golden Mask and The Lost Artefact, DOUBLING the game length of Tomb Raider Chronicles!"
  • Allow weapons and ammo to carry over from adventure to adventure. Obviously each adventure is a new one for Lara and so she wouldn't happen to have the same stock as the last, but you can apply some artistic licence to help gameplay by imagining that Lara does always go into her missions somewhat stocked, anyway.

What do you think?

Weapons carrying over could be part of the difficulty options.

More new weapons such as the VCI laser guns.

ALOT More traps, seriously, Chronicles for the most part is completely baren of traps, only the VCI section, of all places, makes constant use of environmental hazards which is why its my favourite.

Skippable. Cut. Scenes.

Generally expanded locations with less backtracking.

Possibly allow us to finish VCI with a mostly clean slate (Lara not audibly breaking necks when using chloroform and adding the Dart Gun and Taser from AOD into it.) as an optional challenge.

A little bit of reboot style documents, I stress, a LITTLE, having roughly 10 per entire adventure at the most, give us quality over quantity.

New outfits for TR2/3 Gold. (such as Lara getting a proper diving outfit in the submarine instead of the TR3 catsuit)

Larson and Pierre more clearly surviving their encounters, I'd say Larson's is already pretty believable (Maybe just add him running/crawling away in the cutscene) but give us an actual survivable situation for Pierre.

Last edited by Samz; 27-06-19 at 14:33.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-19, 14:35   #7
NoahCrofRaider
Relic Hunter

I love these ideas, save for the hellion teen Lara.

Including the Gold expansions and a hub system would be fantastic, and I love the thought of chronological adventures too.

Another thought of mine is that I feel like the pistols should be part of her VCI arsenal, but they’re only there if you want to go in guns blazing and causing more attention. The only issue could be the unlimited ammo.
Old 27-06-19, 14:37   #8
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
I love these ideas, save for the hellion teen Lara.

Including the Gold expansions and a hub system would be fantastic, and I love the thought of chronological adventures too. Personally, I feel like the pistols should be part of her VCI arsenal, but they’re only there if you want to go in guns blazing and causing more attention.
Actually another point.

Better alarms for VCI.

For the most part, alerting things you aren't supposed to in VCI results in 1 of 2 things.

An extra enemy or two.

Unkillable Turret that sometimes even practically makes the level unwinnable due to being in the same room as a switch.

I guess having a proper stealth-game style alarm system for that section as a gimmick (with enemies entering the level and hunting for Lara) would be a neat thing with the turrets being destructible but still dangerous enough to the point where you want to avoid triggering them. (like they were in TR3.)

I guess you could also use it for some of the TR2/3 Gold Levels.

Last edited by Samz; 27-06-19 at 14:40.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-19, 14:57   #9
thabani33
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
^ I see you really want the remake to flop even harder than the original.
FMV teen Lara is a running gag around here.

Jokes aside, I agree with your points. I would add to that:

1) Rome should be populated with civilians going on about with their business to make the place feel alive and real. It can be something similar to (dare I say) Assassin's creed 1 city in terms of NPCs roaming around and maybe some of them giving you hints and info about philosopher's stone.

2) Make the exterior of the submarine base playable. The player must take control of Lara at the woods immediately after she had spoken to Charles and make your way into the base without being spotted. The diving level must be longer similar to the Underworld deep ocean level.

3) Ireland: I wouldn't change anything there, it's perfect. Just make it more scarier.

4) VCI: Lots of things can be improved here, but I feel strongly about changing some of the enemy encounters to be more like boss battle. The guys in heavy armour could be bosses that take more hits than just a bullet in the face. The cyborgs can also be longer boss battles. Overall the stealth mechanics of this level can be made into something similar to the hitman games where Lara can stealth-kill guards and then have the option to ear their uniform as a disguise or hide their bodies to avoid alerting other guards.

Chronicles is one of my favourite TR games, it has more potential ideas as a remake. Alas, one can dream
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-19, 15:13   #10
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

I would think that today, Chronicles wouldn't be remade as a full price retail game, but that if TLR were remade, Chronicles would be released as 4 separate DLC episodes.