Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 04-07-19, 12:31   #1
Maverin

Lightbulb What happened to them?

This probably has been asked before but what exactly happened to Qualopec and Tihocan? Both seemingly died since we find their tombs and even the skeleton of Qualopec.

I thought they were immortal Gods. Who can help me figure this out?

Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 14:24   #2
Rai

Were they immortal gods in TR1? I thought that was just TRA.

I'm guessing they did just die. I can't remember if Tihocan's tomb was empty in TR1 just like in TRA.

Last edited by Rai; 04-07-19 at 14:26.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 15:13   #3
TombRaiderTim

Tomb Raider 1, Natla, Tihocan and Qualopec are regular mortals, given abilities when using the Scion I suppose, the only reason Natla was alive is due to her being frozen, Tihocan and Qualopec died naturally.

For TRA, it isn't stated that Qualopec and Tihocan are immortal and it could be that Natla had performed something on herself that granted her immortality, at the cost of killing people to prolong her life, as it could be stated in the cutscene atop the pyramid what Natla said "What are a few lives to sacrifice for your dreams?" but it could just refer to her mad evolution scheme.

Also for another fun fact: the circle design on the pedestal is that of how one piece of the Scion looked in the lost FMV.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 04-07-19 at 15:31.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 16:18   #4
Reggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
Also for another fun fact: the circle design on the pedestal is that of how one piece of the Scion looked in the lost FMV.
How have I only just noticed that design!? Nice.

Makes you wonder just how many assets were made for the original story/level designs before it became what we know of the final release.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-19, 17:07   #5
Heartache

the scion is still my favourite artifact in a tr game to date. it looks so unique and mysterious
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 00:48   #6
Baslakor

Lot of mythological stories (including Biblical ones) describe the first humans as far more superior then we are now. I always assumed the same was true in this story. Since Qualopec was once the ruler of Atlantis, yet had time to build a new civilization in Peru afterwards we can assume he got pretty old.

Another question though, why Is Qualopec not mummified? Tihocan got a whole tomb built for him, but Qualopec just sits on his throne. Mummification, especially for royalty was common practice.

Maybe Qualopec felt guilt, believing he somehow contributed to the fall of Atlantis or thought he could've done more to safe it's people. Thus thinking he should not obtain afterlife, but instead just rot away and disappear from existence and memory, just like Atlantis itself.

But that's just a theory.
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-19, 01:51   #7
TombRaiderTim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
How have I only just noticed that design!? Nice.

Makes you wonder just how many assets were made for the original story/level designs before it became what we know of the final release.
Looking at the design again now, I think the pedestal contains the image of the fully formed Scion instead of just a piece of it, as shown in the picture below:

Either way, its from an early build of Tomb Raider and the Scion went through a big redesign in the end.

Last edited by TombRaiderTim; 05-07-19 at 01:55.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-19, 16:04   #8
Kapu

TR1 is light on the details, but Natla and co. are only ever referred to as "rulers of Atlantis." Not gods or anything, just the people in power. More akin to kings/emperors. No idea how Tihocan or Qualopec died, but it was in the mortal fashion, just like the rest of us.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-19, 21:06   #9
MBog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baslakor View Post
Lot of mythological stories (including Biblical ones) describe the first humans as far more superior then we are now. I always assumed the same was true in this story. Since Qualopec was once the ruler of Atlantis, yet had time to build a new civilization in Peru afterwards we can assume he got pretty old.

Another question though, why Is Qualopec not mummified? Tihocan got a whole tomb built for him, but Qualopec just sits on his throne. Mummification, especially for royalty was common practice.

Maybe Qualopec felt guilt, believing he somehow contributed to the fall of Atlantis or thought he could've done more to safe it's people. Thus thinking he should not obtain afterlife, but instead just rot away and disappear from existence and memory, just like Atlantis itself.

But that's just a theory.
Wow that s one interesting way to put it.
Too bad the classics never expanded their mythology more than the plot of the game required, it would be quite intriguing to see more from Tihocan and Qualopec and what they wanted to do with the scion.
MBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-19, 06:17   #10
laracroftswest

Interesting question. As previously mentioned, I believe in TR1 they were mortals.

But it brings me to Anniversary...we see Qualopec get up from his throne as Lara takes the Scion. With that said, can we assume he's immortal and served his purpose as a god to solely protect his piece of the Scion? As for Tihocan...we are led to believe he's dead, yet isn't in his tomb. So, where'd he go? It's interesting to think that CD potentially kept both of them alive...but for what reason?
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote