www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 15-07-19, 03:38   #1
domino92
Tomb Raider

Default Best unexpectedly good games

So on a random recommendation I've been playing Thor on the DS, the 2011 tie-in game.

It's actually shockingly good, and I wouldn't expect the handheld version of a movie tie-in to be so fun.

So what's a game you expected to be mediocre or bad, but is actually unexpectedly good?
Old 15-07-19, 12:34   #2
redfox45
Archaeologist

The usual suspects like Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil.

Id like to say the dmc reboot but even the good aspects of that game are bogged down with obnoxious garbage that stop it from being as fun as it should be. But the rare moments where there are no colour coded enemies or annoying little cherubs taking pot shots that game is really really fun.

Last edited by redfox45; 15-07-19 at 12:35.
redfox45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 13:15   #3
Ashnod
Professor

Tricky question. Any game I would expect to be mediocre or bad, I probably wouldn't waste the money on. Or, I would only buy it if it cost me pennies in comparison to its original price. The classic example for here is Nina Williams: Death by Degrees which I feared would be terrible and upon picking it up for less than $5, it was more or less what I thought it would be.

Two examples of a game I was uncertain of and purchased anyway, and then actually enjoyed quite a bit, would be WET and Remember Me. Neither of them are perfect games, but I had a ton of fun playing them and appreciate what each of them were trying to do.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 13:57   #4
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashnod View Post
Tricky question. Any game I would expect to be mediocre or bad, I probably wouldn't waste the money on.
This is my case.

The only one I can think of is AoD. I bought it because it was a TR game, despite the hideous reviews. And it was unexpectedly good.
Old 15-07-19, 14:13   #5
biscuits
Professor

Destiny. I actually really enjoyed it!!
Old 15-07-19, 14:34   #6
DragonSlayer
Professor

Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, I played the demo and loved it and bought the game but never finished it, I keep meaning to but I never get back to playing it because of my backlog of games.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 14:55   #7
Cochrane
Gold Contributor

I think it doesn't work anymore on modern devices, but I really enjoyed the iOS "Mirror's Edge" game. It was a side-scroller with really not much in common with the actual game, but I had a lot of fun with it. Even if the leaderboards were useless because everyone with a top time had cheated somewhere.

I'm not sure if Tomb Raider examples are welcome here, but I still can't get over how much I loved "Lara Croft Go". I bought it because I expected it to be good, of course, but the attention to detail and the game concept really captivated me. Easily my favourite TR game of this century.

There's also the Stanley Parable. I had heard some interesting descriptions of it when I bought it, but man, they don't do it justice. I don't think anything can, other than playing it.
Old 15-07-19, 21:39   #8
domino92
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
The usual suspects like Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil.
Are Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil underrated at this point? I'm pretty sure they're overrated by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, I played the demo and loved it and bought the game but never finished it, I keep meaning to but I never get back to playing it because of my backlog of games.
I've been meaning to play this for years. I remember playing the demo and being impressed.
Old 15-07-19, 22:02   #9
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Gravity Rush

I picked this game up on a whim because I found the PS4 remastered version cheap. I didn't go into it with much expectation of anything, just thought I'd try it out. I really love it. The gameplay is unlike anything else I've played, it's so unique, and the art style and lead character are so whimsically charming. My literal only complaint about it is that in some areas of the map, the sky colours were a bit too sickly vivid, but they fixed that in the second game.

I picked up the sequel new when it came out and it was just as good

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 15-07-19 at 22:06.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 23:47   #10
Portugalraider
Professor

I'll say two:

Tetris 99: somehow "Tetris Battle Royale" works incredibly well and is fun and addicting as hell!

Reigns: picked it up really cheap because there was a Game of Thrones version of it, and wanted to try the original version first (switch version, with both king and queen game) to see if the licenced version could be cool. For a strategy game with just "yes or no" options it is surprisingly deep, and both versions have a sort of secret story that you need to find out how to play it. It really surprised me how good it was.