Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 04-02-24, 11:08   #21
Yeauxleaux
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
it 100% is the most tomb raider game in the entire reboot trilogy.
it is also a bad game the two things can coexist
This is the inner conflict I have with Shadow really. Wanting to love it so bad because it's a nice attempt at being a Tomb Raider-y TR but having to acknowledge it's also a flop.

I did literally one full play through back in 2018 when it first dropped, put it away for years, tried again back in 2022 but only got halfway through the game before getting bored again, haven't touched it since. For all I complain about 2013 and Rise completely missing the mark as TR games (which they did and I'll never budge on that opinion) I still found something about them had enough draw that I played those more than Shadow. I'll go on record saying that.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 04-02-24 at 11:13.
Yeauxleaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-24, 07:15   #22
Costel
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
it 100% is the most tomb raider game in the entire reboot trilogy.
it is also a bad game the two things can coexist
Are you comparing it by the main story or the whole game including optional tombs and crypts. Cause the main story is just 7 hours long and the tombs and puzzle stuff takes 15-20 minutes each. And I dont remember being more than 5 or 6 of this sections.
Old 08-02-24, 03:05   #23
Ellioft
Relic Hunter

Shadow isn't a bad game like at all.
A bad game is something broken, unplayable like Kong Skull Island for exemple.

I don't know if you are rushing your playtrough but I don't think Shadow's story last 7 hours for the main game.
Old 08-02-24, 03:44   #24
Costel
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post

I don't know if you are rushing your playtrough but I don't think Shadow's story last 7 hours for the main game.
That is how it last. All 3 reboot games are not passing 6-7 hours each. That includes cutscenes. I played through all 3 just the story at least 2 times. Rise and Shadow and especially Shadow are filled with collectibles and side tombs and crypts. That stretches the games lenght. The main story is very liniar in all 3 games. I did not rushed through Shadow. I played at a normal pace. I just ignored everything that is optional.
Old 08-02-24, 11:36   #25
Yeauxleaux
Tomb Raider

I have to engage with the optional stuff in all 3 games because they are basically what make them worth playing. The main storyline isn't anything to write home about, especially in Rise and Shadow.

A typical play through for me is a good 15-25 hours I think.

That's one thing you can't take away from the reboot games. All criticisms aside, they're not poxy little 4 hour campaigns like the LAU games were, they're actually a really good length and amount of content.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 08-02-24 at 11:40.
Old 11-02-24, 00:39   #26
OrangeJuice
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post

no kong skull island is a TERRIBLE, broken game. shadow is a bad game.
theres degrees to things
Old 11-02-24, 09:03   #27
cardmonster
Archaeologist

I think Shadow was a good game. It was just less than the sum of its parts with some rough edges and unpolished side quests. The story felt a bit hamfisted and the ending was forced, but the core gameplay and tombs were decent. It's a solid game, but another Lara origin story in a trilogy of Lara origin stories. We never got to see the original Lara that was promised at the end of the first game, and the whole thing felt a bit like it was treading water.
cardmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-24, 10:29   #28
Yeauxleaux
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmonster View Post
I think Shadow was a good game. It was just less than the sum of its parts with some rough edges and unpolished side quests. The story felt a bit hamfisted and the ending was forced, but the core gameplay and tombs were decent. It's a solid game, but another Lara origin story in a trilogy of Lara origin stories. We never got to see the original Lara that was promised at the end of the first game, and the whole thing felt a bit like it was treading water.
I just don't get it.

At the end of TR2013, there was the slightest glimmer of Classic Lara's attitude and love of adventure showing in this Lara. That rounded off the first part of her origins story nicely. Then come Rise, she regressed and didn't get back to that point again even by the end of Shadow.

Rise should have started with the Lara we had at the end of TR2013 and then continued slowly hardening her into being even more like classic Lara. That's what this trilogy should have achieved, rather than giving us the exact same story 3 times over with a different lick of paint. It seems like a lot of ****-blocking by higher-ups at CD and/or especially SE stopped that though.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 11-02-24 at 10:30.
Old 11-02-24, 10:39   #29
Garrett_thief
Student

Shadow is OK, but like all the "new" ones, it's way too short
Garrett_thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-24, 11:00   #30
cardmonster
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I just don't get it.

At the end of TR2013, there was the slightest glimmer of Classic Lara's attitude and love of adventure showing in this Lara. That rounded off the first part of her origins story nicely. Then come Rise, she regressed and didn't get back to that point again even by the end of Shadow.

Rise should have started with the Lara we had at the end of TR2013 and then continued slowly hardening her into being even more like classic Lara. That's what this trilogy should have achieved, rather than giving us the exact same story 3 times over with a different lick of paint. It seems like a lot of ****-blocking by higher-ups at CD and/or especially SE stopped that though.
Yeah I totally agree, and it's honestly my biggest complaint with the survivor trilogy - it never really went anywhere and she didn't become the Lara of old. But I think they're good games when all's said and done.
cardmonster is offline   Reply With Quote