Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 04-01-18, 22:15   #111
JOHN30011887

Iv never played the 2 in one version, iv always had my games separate

I also got laras home and all music working and no bugs with animals etc for golden mask

Cant wait for these fixes for both
Glad theres still people that care about the classics as much as i do
JOHN30011887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 06:41   #112
Kirishima

Just an update to the physics thing. It turns out that the altered physics is likely exe related. I just tested one of the various exe's i kept as backup, and when testing those glitches it behaved like what was in that video. It did not have the low ceiling backflip glitch, so I'm not sure which version it could be.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 07:04   #113
Amet

Thanks so much for all the work you're doing, Arsunt! Everything seems to be working on my end. Playstation effects + PC graphics is amazing~! And the waving inventory background is a work of art.

If possible, can the flight cheat/patch be implemented in the future? I love exploring areas that Lara can't normally reach, and I would be ecstatic to see them in PSX FOV and with no Draw Distance Fog.
Amet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 14:35   #114
TombFire

Regarding the low ceiling jump collision:
The tomb2 exe file used in the TR2 updater (From here: Link) doesn't have the bug.
TombFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 20:22   #115
Arsunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
While the bonus level did unlock correctly, Lara started it with all weapons and unlimited ammo, just like it usually happens when you finish the game and start a new one straight away.

In ordinary GM, she starts it with pistols only.

I wonder what your solution will do?
Don't worry, I prefer original GM way. I know everything that must be done to make things right.
Quote:
Also. Kind of a random question, but guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Once the project is out of beta, were you planning to backport some stuff from later games to earlier ones? Like for example double sided textures and semi-transparent textures support (introduced in TR3), footprints, TR4/5 block pushing responsiveness, I dunno, PS1 reflections, yadda yadda?
I don't know about every listed thing right now, but there are semi transparent textures in PSX TR2 (water surface, gun flash, etc.), so this will be implemented in PC TR2 too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by annl View Post
I would love a PS1 level select with all weapons and infinite ammo, I'm sure many would agree. It's your work though so I don't mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
I think a level select would be really nice to have too! If it's not too much trouble. Hopefully we're not too pestering with all our ideas on what could be added.
Ah, Ok. I'll make this feature, but in low priority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
Thank you for all your work Arsunt! Seriously, it's really nice to have this game in proper widescreen with a fixed FOV and all the other features you've implemented. it's so great to see the wavy inventory screen again. I can't wait for more patches!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amet View Post
Thanks so much for all the work you're doing, Arsunt! Everything seems to be working on my end. Playstation effects + PC graphics is amazing~! And the waving inventory background is a work of art.
Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amet View Post
If possible, can the flight cheat/patch be implemented in the future? I love exploring areas that Lara can't normally reach, and I would be ecstatic to see them in PSX FOV and with no Draw Distance Fog.
Hmm, It seems that I still have to add a "cheat" Control Panel. Okay, in low priority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
Just an update to the physics thing. It turns out that the altered physics is likely exe related. I just tested one of the various exe's i kept as backup, and when testing those glitches it behaved like what was in that video. It did not have the low ceiling backflip glitch, so I'm not sure which version it could be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombFire View Post
Regarding the low ceiling jump collision:
The tomb2 exe file used in the TR2 updater (From here: Link) doesn't have the bug.
I will check those bug usage issues later. If something works not as intended it should be fixed, or added as an option.
Quote:
Can't wait to see the draw distance patch! Oh and great work so far! Everything working for me with the latest version!
I'm proud to show it. Here it is! There are few bugfixes and the draw/fog distance feature itself.

The software renderer proper work is NOT GUARANTED with not classic view/fog settings. There are too many limitations related to SW renderer.
Also sorted HW renderer (with Z Buffer switched off) may work with visual bugs, because of sorted polygon array limitations.

Minimum and maximum values of distance can be viewed in registry file. Still no GUI for new settings. But I will add the GUI later of course.

Last edited by Arsunt; 07-01-18 at 08:02.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 20:41   #116
annl

Default It’s Great!

It works great! I’ve yet to see it in a big room (i’m on Opera House) but I did quickly load The Great Wall and Lara’s Home and you can certainly notice the difference!

Thanks Arsunt!

Last edited by annl; 05-01-18 at 20:42.
annl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 21:54   #117
Danath

Unhappy

I was excited to try the distance patch on my Mystic Realm map, but unfortunately it happens as i feared: any render distance higher than 1.25 crashes Tomb2.exe when you rotate the camera to the right after beginning. There's just too much stuff for the engine to render at once i suppose. Dxtre3D says the overlaps are 25K+.

Anyway, fantastic work on this Arsunt! Once it is finished i will update my 2 maps to include this patch.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 22:10   #118
JOHN30011887

Great addition, heres before and after for fog wall

JOHN30011887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-18, 23:51   #119
Sardoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
I don't know about every listed thing right now, but there are semi transparent textures in PSX TR2 (water surface, gun flash, etc.), so this will be implemented in PC TR2 too.
Fair enough. I'd love semi-transparent textures support! They were always there in PSX versions (even TR1), and it really puzzles me why they didn't make it to PC till TR3. Anyway, if that makes it into your patch, I'll personally go ahead and mod the whole game to use them just like the PSX did. That is, after I'd finish jumping in joy like a maniac.

I brainstormed a little and came up with this list of stuff of what was introduced into/improved in/removed from/never made it to later games or other platforms (wall of text incoming, you have been warned):

Quote:
TR1 & TR2 - Semi-transparent textures. Introduced in PC version of TR3, and available on PSX right from TR1.
TR1 & TR2 - Double sided textures. Introduced in TR3.

Sidestep controls - TR1 and TR2 supported only dedicated sidestep buttons on the PC. TR3 only supported walk + left/right, but not dedicated buttons. TR4 and TR5 supported both.

TR1 - jump/dive responsiveness improvements - Introduced in TR2. While running, Lara jumps instantly when you press jump rather than completing the next step and then jumping. Also, she stops swimming the second you release jump rather than completing the animation and overshooting a pickup, for example.

TR1 shotgun shooting animation - when holding the action button, Lara will shoot faster when not targeting anything, but slower when targeting something. No idea why. Completely fixed in TR2 and later.

TR1 - jump mid-air turn - introduced in TR2.
TR1 - underwater roll - introduced in TR2.
TR1 - somersault while swan diving - silly but fun. Introduced in TR2 (press roll while Lara is swan diving from a high place).
TR1 - proper braid - unfinished and disabled in TR1, working in TR2. There's a braid object in Lost Valley level file.

TR1 "shaky" graphics rendering and all PSX TRs "shaky" graphics rendering. Completely fixed in TR2-5 on the PC. Nothing shakes.

TR1, TR2, TR3 - block pushing responsiveness - introduced in TR4. Lara will keep pushing a block until you let go of action.

TR3 - turning while crouching on one knee - introiduced in TR4. In TR3, Lara has to be on all fours to be able to turn while crouching.
TR3 - sprint responsiveness - refined in TR4. In TR3, if you let go of the sprint button and then press it again, Lara will stop sprinting and not start again until her stamina bar fully recharges. In TR4 she will sprint OK even if her stamina bar isn't full yet.

TR3 - run/sprint to duck transition animations - refined in TR4. If you press duck while running or sprinting, in TR3, Lara will completely stop moving first and then crouch. In TR4, there's a nice transition animation.
TR3 crouching with "the big guns" - in TR3 Jungle demo, Lara could crouch with the shotgun, just like she does with pistols/uzis/DEagle in retail versions. No idea about other weapons, but there's no reason to suggest she couldn't.

TR3 & TR4 out-of-crawlspace-jump - introduced in TR5.
TR3 & TR4 climbing wall to crawlspace animation - introduced in TR5. Lara will nicely squeeze into a crawlspace when she's climbing a wall. In TR3 and TR4, as long as her feet are on the wall, she will do nothing. You have to let go, grab again, and instantly climb into the crawlspace while her legs are not touching the wall.

TR3, TR4 & TR5 forward leap while crawling - this move can be unlocked in TREP TRLE patch. It probably is supported by TR4 and TR5 engine, but must have been disabled. I know there were early versions of it in TR3 betas. See this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux7ZMmdiQ5Y of a TR3 beta, at 2:10. I don't suppose the animation itself is in the level files. I know it was present in some TRLE levels from Core, but not all of them.

Footprints - introduced in TR3 on PSX, never made it to the PC.
Echo + better bass - available on the PSX, definitely in TR3, not sure about TR1 or TR2.

Realistic shadows - only available in Dreamcast versions of TR4 and TR5. Never made it to any other platform. See this video.

TR4 & TR5 look button responsiveness - unfortunately the look button got unreliable in TR4/TR5. Sometimes when you press it and quickly press forward, Lara will stop looking and run forward (if that happens when you're in front of a long drop... *splat*).

TR1 & TR5 weapon/medipacks hotkeys - available only on the PC in TR2, TR3 and TR4. TR1 never used them, and I never understood why TR5 stopped using them.

TR4 & 5 use a flare while holding a gun - can't do that. You have to holster your weapon first. In TR2 and TR3, Lara holsters the weapon herself and draws a flare.

PSX reflections - well, not so much reflections as picture-in-picture. Most notable on TR1 save crystals, Lara's hand-of-Midas death animation, TR2 rolling blades and so on. Never made it to the PC.

Flight cheat for all games - good for testing mods, but there are differences. The patch available on these forums only works for TR2 (but not GM), TR3 (but not TLA), no idea about 4 and 5. But anyway. In TR2, when you fly above lava or acid, Lara dies immediately. In TR3 it works fine.

TR1-2-3 save slot information - refined in TR4 & TR5. These will always show the number of saves when you save or load, no matter what. However, TR1-2-3 will only show it when you're overwriting a save slot that already have a save file before the game was run. If you're saving in an empty slot, it will show the level name, but will not show the number of saves until you close the game and run it again.

TR1 & TR2 look button while handstanding - refined in TR3, where it will allow you to see what's behind you when climbing with a handstand (great to check if there's a safe place behind you to land on when traversing a slope). TR2 will allow you to use the look button, but it won't allow you to see what's behind you. TR1 will do nothing if the look button is pressed while Lara is handstanding.
Does any of that sound reasonable?

Last edited by Sardoc; 06-01-18 at 16:36.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-18, 00:34   #120
Caesum

I love the new fog distance! Makes everything so much more pretty! An absolute must-have!

While we're at it, would it be possible to add an option to keep music playing while underwater?
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote