www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 03-08-21, 21:00   #1
UroshUchiha
Explorer

Default Tomb Raider N-Gage on PC (and Android)

This is a follow up to my post from last year about TR games on Symbian OS devices being emulated on PC.

The emulator is mostly capable of playing N-Gage titles as well for a while now, so I sat down today and had some fun.

So far I went through Lara's Home, Caves and City of Vilcabamba levels without any serious issues. Oh, and I also saw the Demo gameplay that appears if you AFK for a bit in the main menu.

You can see a part of my playthrough here

The emulator in question is called EKA2L1
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 21:15   #2
Boobandie
Professor

Did they speed up her running animation for the N-Gage? Her other moves seem the same but her footsteps are much faster.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 21:39   #3
ANoDE
Golden

Wow, very interesting! I winder why they used an AoD-like model...

Yes, the running animation looks a bit fast - but maybe that would have fellt better on the NGage?
Old 03-08-21, 21:46   #4
UroshUchiha
Explorer

I left the FPS in the emulator uncapped (well, the limit is 120) but I doubt that is the reason for the running. While I was playing it, I did feel like Lara speeds up slightly after half a second or so while running and then she reaches a running speed higher than on other platforms.

Usually I keep jumping in the classics cause it always seemed faster, but not here.
Old 04-08-21, 09:19   #5
ATombRaiderFan
Historian

Great to see the N-Gage version of TR1 getting emulated. I didn't know there were Matrix-like motion freezes in the demo mode, that's pretty cool.
ATombRaiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 11:59   #6
tlr online
Administrator

Thumbs up

Awesome work UroshUchiha.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-21, 15:52   #7
CircusBabysGal
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
This is a follow up to my post from last year about TR games on Symbian OS devices being emulated on PC.

The emulator is mostly capable of playing N-Gage titles as well for a while now, so I sat down today and had some fun.

So far I went through Lara's Home, Caves and City of Vilcabamba levels without any serious issues. Oh, and I also saw the Demo gameplay that appears if you AFK for a bit in the main menu.

You can see a part of my playthrough here

The emulator in question is called EKA2L1
WAIT, Is the multiplayer possible??
Old 04-08-21, 17:41   #8
UroshUchiha
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusBabysGal View Post
WAIT, Is the multiplayer possible??
Not yet, the Arena option is enabled in a lot of these N-Gage games (through various fixes and file modifications), but that part of the Emulator is still low priority.

Oh, the N-Gage 2.0 is also working so by using this emulator, Tomb Raider Underworld for N-Gage is also playable.

Directly from the EKA2L1 FAQ:
(Q) Will EKA2L1 support multiplayer?

(A) It's complicated, low on the priorities list and can be broken down into two main categories, Bluetooth and Arena

Bluetooth: this is the easiest (at least compared to Arena) type of multiplayer to get running, and will likely be the first kind of multiplayer to added to EKA2L1.

Arena: The official Arena servers were shut down by Nokia a long time ago, leaving us in a tricky position that requires more reverse engineering that no one (as of now) wants to do. We might be able to do something similar to Wiimmfi \ RiiConnect24 or we may need to find some other workaround, nothing can be confirmed right now.
Old 06-08-21, 03:34   #9
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
I left the FPS in the emulator uncapped (well, the limit is 120) but I doubt that is the reason for the running. While I was playing it, I did feel like Lara speeds up slightly after half a second or so while running and then she reaches a running speed higher than on other platforms.

Usually I keep jumping in the classics cause it always seemed faster, but not here.
That would indicate that just her running animation has indeed been sped up. The first step she takes is a different animation along with some transitions, and if they only sped up her main running cycle that would be the effect.

I guess that by the time the N-Gage port was done TR1 was feeling a little too slow compared to other games?
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-21, 23:57   #10
Kirishima
Explorer

Animation looks sped up in this video, so it likely is proper behavior.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote