Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 23-10-16, 17:19   #1
Zelda master

Default Nintendo Switch

Announced during an investor meeting in March 2015 by the late Satoru Iwata. It was first shown in a trailer on 20 October 2016, the Nintendo Switch is the upcoming home console developed by Nintendo and is set for release in March 2017.

What we know
The Switch is a hybrid system which sits inside of a dock while playing at home, you can detach the Jon-Con controllers from the controllergrip and connect them directly onto the system and continue playing the game you were playing directly on the go. While the dock features two USB 2 connections, one USB 3 connection and a HDMI output, the actual system features an IPS screen of approximately 6 inch with a resolution of 1280*720. It also features: a 3.5mm headphone jack on the tablet, built in kickstand, speakers and a microphone and it uses cartridges as the medium for the games. The systems internals have been developed by Nintendo in cooperation with NVidia, but no specifications have been released.

Since the reveal trailer we've been told a lot of details about the hardware. The system will also have built in WiFi that supports a 5GHz connection and can connect up to eight systems at a time. The system will also support local LAN (depending on the software) up to ten different systems at a single time. The screen is a capacitive touchscreen that supports multi touch as expected from such a screen. The system is region-free for a first time for their consoles and again for the handhelds. The system comes with 32GB (25.9 GB available) but is expandable through Micro SD Cards and will supports up to 2TB once those are available.

The system will be released 3rd of March 2017 for a price of: ¥29,980 / $299,99 / €329,99. The system comes in two bundles that feature the same content other than the colours of the Joy-Cons (Neon Red/Neon Blue or gray), the box is filled with: The Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch Dock, Joy-Con (L&R), Joy-Con Grip, AC Adapter, HDMI Cable and Joy-con Handles.

What we don’t know
While we do know that there will be online play, as of this moment, no price point has been officially been announced. The online play will be free until later this year, they've said they'll announce more details soon.

Do we know any games?

Last edited by Zelda master; 22-02-17 at 14:13.
Zelda master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 17:54   #2
jajay119

So, to carry on from the old thread about rumoured price point being £400 i'll just repost my last one

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I think Nintendo need to try to aim for the £350 mark at most. Given most of the tech in the game is an amalgamation and refining of elements found in many of their existing consoles I would hope that this would reduce costs, and was a deliberate factor in design. Also, Nintendo need to take into accound power. It's not the be all and end all but I do think a third generation behind the competition would damage them. The console has been touted as being just less powerful than the PS4. Though with the PS4-Pro launching in the same year with a power boost and a £350 price tag Nintendo need to be competitive if they want to sell well.

They're coming in half way through the conventional cycle so I don't think there is a chance they'll 'catch up' in terms of sales but they seem to be on their own schedule in recent years and seem, perhaps, less bothered by this.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 18:47   #3
Jami393

Can you change the info to console hybrid? It's both at the end of the day. Also, Skyrim and NBA 2K have not been confirmed.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13...-not-confirmed

Last edited by Jami393; 23-10-16 at 19:36.
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 18:52   #4
Portugalraider

I personally think 350$ is the absolute maximum they can go with. 400$ is too much. Besides, most rumors/speculations I've seen seem to go for the 300$ price, which I think it's the most likely.

Either way, there's one thing I still haven't seen here discussed which is of the most utterly importance: Karen! The Mario-playing, rooftop-partying woman from the commercial! She needs to be our 2nd queen! (right after Lara, of course )
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 19:13   #5
Lara's home

I agree. I think they'll would go for $299-349 range.
Lara's home is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 20:16   #6
Zelda master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
Can you change the info to console hybrid? It's both at the end of the day. Also, Skyrim and NBA 2K have not been confirmed.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13...-not-confirmed
And I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda master View Post
While no games have officially been announced, many developers and publishers will be working on the Switch in some way. Also the following games have been shown during the trailer:
And does it really matter if I state hybrid system instead of hybrid console? A handheld is still a console. It's a gaming system that's you can use in either form.

Last edited by Zelda master; 23-10-16 at 20:20.
Old 23-10-16, 21:04   #7
Jami393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda master View Post
And I quote:

And does it really matter if I state hybrid system instead of hybrid console? A handheld is still a console. It's a gaming system that's you can use in either form.
I was mainly talking about this sentence at the start of the post.

Quote:
It was first shown in a trailer on 20 October 2016, the Nintendo Switch is the upcoming home console developed by Nintendo and is set for release in March 2017.
Which we know it isn't and like we both know, it's a hybrid.
Jami393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 21:04   #8
annl

I believe the price was said to be $210 which in pounds is £203 so with currency differences is will probably be £210 - £220. Nintendo are focusing on low prices.
annl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 21:18   #9
Portugalraider

By the way, some games where already officially announced for the Switch:
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • The new 3D Sonic game
  • Just Dance 2017
  • Both Dragon Quest X and XI (at least for Japan)

Not many games true, but they were indeed announced for it.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-16, 21:19   #10
Zelda master

Now that you mention it, that was indeed said during E3 and various Investor Meetings. Completely forgot about these. I'll edit the OP asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jami393 View Post
Which we know it isn't and like we both know, it's a hybrid.
I'm just going by what they've said themselves.

Quote:
“Nintendo Switch is a home gaming system first and foremost,” the company told Polygon when asked if the system was going to impact the sale of the 3DS portable systems. “We have made no announcement regarding the future of Nintendo 3DS.
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13...-gaming-system
I've mentioned later in the post that it's a hybrid. But it's a home console first and foremost.

Last edited by Zelda master; 23-10-16 at 21:34.