www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 23-05-21, 08:23   #1
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider
 
Greenapple968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Barkhang Monastery
Posts: 10,720
Talking Have You Ever Thought That An Acronym Has Stood For Something Different?

There are a lot of acronyms in this world. They all stand for something. Have you ever thought than an acronym has stood for something different to what it actually stands for? If so, then are you comfortable sharing it with us?

I used to think that "LOL" stood for "Lots of love"

I used to think that "TBH" stood for "Text back here"

I used to think that "FTW" stood for "**** the world"

What about the rest of you?
__________________
It only takes one person to be right.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 13:31   #2
Dennis's Mom
Moderator
 
Dennis's Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Rural NE Texas
Posts: 15,412
Default

Nothing like that, but it took me FOREVER before I realized the cooler brand "RTIC" wasn't called "R-T-I-C" but "Arctic."
__________________
People who canít communicate think every discussion is an argument to be won.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 13:35   #3
FreakRaider
Professor
 
FreakRaider's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Austria
Posts: 3,651
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I used to think that "FTW" stood for "**** the world"
Omg I always thought it meant **** the what, just WTF but reversed
__________________
hi demi
FreakRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 14:06   #4
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider
 
Quebsenuef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray
Posts: 14,721
Default

Theres been some acronyms over the years Iíve had to Google.
FWIW - For what itís worth
DAE - Does anyone else
IANAD - I am not a doctor
IANAL - I am not a lawyer

Stuff like this I stared at for way too long wondering what it meant.

Then thereís acronyms that everyone knows that I purposely change with friends to be silly.
NASA - North American Shipping Association
__________________
Face and defeat your Guilt
Quebsenuef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 14:43   #5
Profc
Archaeologist
 
Profc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,114
Default

I never bothered to google AFAIK, for a very long time.

I generally don't like abbreviations. It gets super confusing after a while.
__________________
Morality is herd instinct in the individual.
Profc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 17:00   #6
Heckler
Professor
 
Heckler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The Vaal Dam area, South Africa
Posts: 3,976
Default

When I was younger I thought BDSM was Buddhism.
__________________
Tread carefully.
Heckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-21, 18:56   #7
tomblover
Legend
 
tomblover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 25,511
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
When I was younger I thought BDSM was Buddhism.
That's incredible.

I realize this is showing my age, but, one of the recent ones I've had to Google is OOMF ("one of my friends/followers").
__________________
I'm your vulgar darling in the swimmin' pool.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 07:35   #8
moodydog
Tomb Raider
 
moodydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: What's a battle?
Posts: 10,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
When I was younger I thought BDSM was Buddhism.
Bible Discussion/ Study Meeting
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-21, 11:57   #9
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider
 
Greenapple968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Barkhang Monastery
Posts: 10,720
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
Nothing like that, but it took me FOREVER before I realized the cooler brand "RTIC" wasn't called "R-T-I-C" but "Arctic."
Oh dear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreakRaider View Post
Omg I always thought it meant **** the what, just WTF but reversed
That's not far off what I thought it stood for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post
Theres been some acronyms over the years Iíve had to Google.
FWIW - For what itís worth
DAE - Does anyone else
IANAD - I am not a doctor
IANAL - I am not a lawyer

Stuff like this I stared at for way too long wondering what it meant.

Then thereís acronyms that everyone knows that I purposely change with friends to be silly.
NASA - North American Shipping Association
I'm always having to google stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profc View Post
I never bothered to google AFAIK, for a very long time.

I generally don't like abbreviations. It gets super confusing after a while.
It can be hard to keep up with abbreviations, yes. I'm often having to google them for their meanings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
When I was younger I thought BDSM was Buddhism.
Oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
That's incredible.

I realize this is showing my age, but, one of the recent ones I've had to Google is OOMF ("one of my friends/followers").
I might've assumed that the "OM" in that abbreviation stood for "Oh My", and I would've been wrong.
__________________
It only takes one person to be right.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-21, 16:21   #10
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter
 
DragonSlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USG Ishimura
Posts: 6,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
There are a lot of acronyms in this world. They all stand for something. Have you ever thought than an acronym has stood for something different to what it actually stands for? If so, then are you comfortable sharing it with us?

I used to think that "LOL" stood for "Lots of love"

I used to think that "TBH" stood for "Text back here"

I used to think that "FTW" stood for "**** the world"

What about the rest of you?
I read somewhere about someone who texted her daughter to tell her about a relative that had died adding LOL at the end, the daughter texted back saying do you know what LOL means her mother said I thought that it meant lots of love her daughter said it means laugh out loud, her mother replied oh no now I have to ring everyone that I texted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler View Post
When I was younger I thought BDSM was Buddhism.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 00:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.