Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 03-04-21, 02:04   #1
Raider969

Default DC Comics Thread

Since I like DC Comics so much, I decided to make a thread about it here. You can discuss anything DC Comics here, whether it is the comics itself, cartoons, TV Shows, movies and anything else DC Comics related.

Well, I don't really read the comics, but I do watch the Cartoons, TV shows and Movies, especially the DC Animated Universe cartoon shows. (For those who don't know and I recommend watching them if you haven't seen them, it is Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, The New Batman Adventures, Batman Beyond, Static Shock, The Zeta Project, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited). I watched those cartoons over and over again because that is how great they are. I used to watch them also on Kids WB and Cartoon Network.
Raider969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 13:07   #2
biscuits

Ohhhh I'm a huuuge DC nerd (as seen by my profile picture). The animated Justice League cartoon back in 2001 was what got me into comics.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 13:44   #3
Mani_Man

Uhu, a thread for DC Comics...very interesting.

Not too long ago a new Relaunch in the comics happened with Infinite Frontier.
So thats always quite expensive because i give the new comics around 5 issues before dropping them if they are bad.

Comic wise i can Recommend James Tynion IV Batman run.
His writing with the fantastic art of Jorge Jimenez is a joy.

Other than that, there are rumors that HBO Max wants to do a sequel to the Batman Animated series...that would be the coolest thing ever.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 14:08   #4
HarleyCroft

^I started reading some of the comics around the New 52

A family friend of mine helped me collect all the original Batman Animated series tie-in comics which contributed to me falling in love with -you guessed it- Harley Quinn! When written by Paul Dini and drawn by Bruce Timm she's marvelous

I'm a fan of the Arkham series of games, the Burton and Dark Knight films, and right now I am absolutely LOVING the HQ series since it was released on DVD. Season 3 is coming to HBO Max and I just found out about the Animated Series rumors!? Sounds awesome!
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-21, 15:01   #5
Mani_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyCroft View Post
^I started reading some of the comics around the New 52
Thats a good time to start, rebirth is better but New 52 is overall a good starting point.

A great Aquaman run that turned him into an A Player again, which followed a even stronger rebirth run.
Fantastic Batman run, a great flash, absolutly brilliant Green Lantern.
DC finally admitting that Harley/Joker was a toxic mess.

Okay new 52 superman sucked and DCs weird obsession making Superman/Wonder Woman as a couple work is just bonkers...but overall the new 52 was fantastic.

Quote:
A family friend of mine helped me collect all the original Batman Animated series tie-in comics which contributed to me falling in love with -you guessed it- Harley Quinn! When written by Paul Dini and drawn by Bruce Timm she's marvelous
Oh yeah, Mad Love and stuff is so good and there is a good reason why Harley became as popular as she is.

Quote:
I'm a fan of the Arkham series of games, the Burton and Dark Knight films, and right now I am absolutely LOVING the HQ series since it was released on DVD. Season 3 is coming to HBO Max and I just found out about the Animated Series rumors!? Sounds awesome!
HQ series i dont think anybody thought it would be as good as it is...unbelievable how it turned peoples opinion around.
Its such a joy.
Old 27-04-21, 11:40   #6
Mani_Man

Double Post but cant help it.

So the weekly Comics are out.

I buy them at Comixology where i get them in Digital form, which is sadly the only reason to get them fast here in Germany.

Sadly i dont have a comic book store close and the ones that are somewhat in range, dont have the newest comics until a month or so later...and in German.

If i want to read them when they come out, sadly Online is the only way to go.
Thankfully i do have the money to finance this hobby, especially since i later buy the issues i liked in Physical form...so buying a comic twice.

Its not perfect, but i have no other choice.

Anyway...my weekly ritual is pretty much reading the comics in the Morning or when i take a break from writing early on.
I get way too excited when its comics day, so unless i read them, i have hard time concentrating on anything else.

Im looking into giving my weekly opinion of the comics i bought every week...or at least i try this format for now(even if im the only one posting here)

So here goes:

Action Comics, hooked me mostly because of its Awesome cover...its one of those issues where i so want to have it in physical form because of the cover.
The issue was fine, but i slowly get the feeling that i need a complete break on Superman.
Im not feeling IT, maybe Bendis has drained my interest in the character.

Batman/Superman was neat but confusing, i have to read the thing a few times because i lost somehow what the the hell was going while reading.
Dont know, had a weird pacing and writing that threw me off.

Detective Comics was cool, not what i was expecting but it is a good start.
Goes to show that i should read the description maybe more often, because the basic storyline of this is written on the DC page...but i love to go in completely unspoiled.
Thats why i read the comics as soon as they are out.
Anyway, had to laugh when they Explained Mr Worth as "He is old Money and built Half of Gotham".
How many "Old Money people who built half of Gotham do we have now?"
Feels like every rich person we get has built up Gotham city...not a problem to me, i just found it funny.
Oh i loved that Penguin sat behind Bruce in the church, a few days i thought it would be neat seeing him again.
Liked the Huntress story too.
The Character of Mr Worth has potential, like his Design a lot.

Gave Harley Quinn a chance, but the art style is just too wonky to me.
Not my cup of beer and distracts me too much.
For now i will drop this, maybe i give it a shot later down the road again.

Robin was actually pretty neat i have to say.
Damians Costume has something, i find it quite neat.
Interested where this goes and it gave me the slight hope we get more Batfamily.
I love how much Barbara we got recently.

Teen Titans Academy again is not my cup, cant say why, it just doesnt hit me enough to keep going.

Overall a mixed back of a week, but at least the Batman part of DC comics keeps me pleased.

Next week will be interesting.

Im starting with Green Lantern again and need to back into Swamp Thing, Crime Syndicate also is interesting so far.
Of course Batman the main course, although im a bit worried about this Miracle Molly...she looks a bit too much for my taste.
Too colorful and stuff, but we will see.
Old 29-04-21, 17:33   #7
biscuits

Honestly 17 Batman related titles is too much for me, someone who's indifferent to the character.
It's one thing I always preferred about Marvel, they always give their smaller characters a chance. Literally all the interesting DC titles got cancelled
Old 29-04-21, 17:53   #8
Cochrane
Golden

I tried getting into DC, but in the end almost every comic I ever invested time in turned out to be about some ancient secret cult instead of developing its characters properly. Very annoying.

I did really love Gotham Academy. Not super happy with its ending, which felt very rushed, but still overall nice and some really great characters. Is there anything more with them that I can read somewhere?
Cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-21, 18:12   #9
Mani_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Honestly 17 Batman related titles is too much for me, someone who's indifferent to the character.
It's one thing I always preferred about Marvel, they always give their smaller characters a chance. Literally all the interesting DC titles got cancelled
It can be annoying if you dont care for a certain character.
On that front, Marvel really is more open go try things out.

The big three at DC currently have 8 ongoing series.

2 Superman, 2 Wonder Woman and of course which i like but i can see if people dont like batman, 4 Batman series.

They do have some stuff with smaller characters.
Rorschach, Nightwing(which i reconmend so damn much, its fantastic), catwoman, Teen Titans Academy, Man-Bat, Mister Miracle, Suicide Squad, Wonder Girl will soon start, Swamp Thing.

We did had better relaunches that had more variety, but we had worse too.

But cant deny that i miss me some Aquaman, Supergirl, Green Arrow...god do i miss green arrow, the rebirth run was spectacular.
Old 29-04-21, 18:42   #10
biscuits

I miss Venditti's Hawkman series. Turned me into a fan of the character. Hellblazer was good as well.
I actually did start the new Nightwing run! The art is stunning. But one major gripe I have is seeing Barbara operate as Oracle, but without being paralysed. It feels wrong. It's like DC wants to have its cake and eat it too. Oracle was a very special character for the disabled community, and now they just got rid of her (one of the many sins the New 52 committed).