Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 22-10-21, 19:58   #951
NicoShearer

When I try to start the game it comes with a message saying "The item 'play tomb raider 1 unfinished business' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved..." I tried installing and reinstalling and the same thing happens. Can anyone help me?
NicoShearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-21, 09:35   #952
gidierre
Grease Monkey

When you installed it what folder did you choose? I mean, c:\tombraider or customized?

At any rate I can always help you rebuild the shortcuts.
gidierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-21, 15:16   #953
NicoShearer

I just chose the default option, which I believe was c:\tombraider.
Old 23-10-21, 15:32   #954
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoShearer View Post
I just chose the default option, which I believe was c:\tombraider.
fine
I guess I have a "cure" for this vanishing exe glitch anyway
I'll be sending you a PM with instructions right away
Old 25-10-21, 21:48   #955
NicoShearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
fine
I guess I have a "cure" for this vanishing exe glitch anyway
I'll be sending you a PM with instructions right away
The fix you sent me worked perfectly! Thank you!
Old 09-02-22, 18:50   #956
BOfH

Sorry if I have missed this somewhere. I've seen mention of it but not mention of a fix. I had quite a job installing Tomb Raider 1 on Windows 10 with the Advanced Installer. Eventually I was able to figure out that Windows Defender was marking the Play Tombraider and Play TombRaider UB .exe files as a virus (Phoney A!ml or something like that). What is causing this and please could anyone offer any advice on remediation. I've tried asking Windows Defender to avoid the offending files but that require appears to be short lived.
BOfH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-22, 21:22   #957
gidierre
Grease Monkey

I know
it happened to me too of course

now since I guess I ought to know what I wrote and how I went about it
and I'm not much into masochism anyway so I wouldn't dream of inflicting me a malicious software for the sake of it
I looked and it was easy to detect a pretended malware detection syndrome

virustotal site and the likes of it helped pinpoint the issue lying within a step building the whole shebang when implementing a bat to exe conversion

now I could show dozens of snapshots I took showing how the conversion method affects the (pseudo)virus detection rate obviously on the same doggone lines of code

no way of ever getting a 0% rate, trust me
not even building an exe which literally accomplishes nothing at all
but it can vary from 10% to 50%
as I repeat, checking out the very same stuff
unfortunately the best application or procedure I could find (and had been using) isn't Windows 10 compatible
so with the latest versions here we are again facing the virus pretension and its persistent removal

the way I treat it naturally has always been hoaxing the AV into buying it:
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-e...ntivirus-scans
in practice excluding \tombraider folder from scanning
that one plus of course any other directory I want out of the sneak on procedure, especially those where I'll be busy setting up the whole setup thing ironing it out until the cows come home, only to find my files suddenly vanished into thin air

if you have trouble with that, don't hesitate to PM me and I'll show you how to bring home the exe's
since as you noticed of the dozens files involved the crash only picks on a couple executable files.
Old 13-02-22, 15:24   #958
BOfH

Thanks for the tips. I did a Windows Update and it seems to be behaving a little bit better this time. If I have any further trouble, I shall try excluding the install directory from Windows Defender.
BOfH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-22, 11:42   #959
_Stevie_

Sorry, if this has been asked before, but if I don't use the nGlide patch, then this version should work with a 3dfx card, right?

The reason I'm asking: I'm trying to get this running on a Raspberry Pi with DosBox-Pure, which features 3dfx emulation. But unfotunately, the tomb3dfx.exe doesn't seem to work with the emulation. I don't get the usual 3dfx logo on game start. Same goes for Unfinished Business.
_Stevie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-22, 16:38   #960
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Sorry, if this has been asked before, but if I don't use the nGlide patch, then this version should work with a 3dfx card, right?
so far so (generally) correct but specifically mystifying
unchecking nGlide's box just means you revert to:
surely not to an elusive dosbox "default" whateverware
but to the installer's wrapper tool default, namely glide patch, which is precisely how I wanted it to be in the first place, especially at the time nGlide wasn't working well with dosbox & TR1, or at least not the way I wanted
Quote:
The reason I'm asking: I'm trying to get this running on a Raspberry Pi with DosBox-Pure, which features 3dfx emulation. But unfortunately, the tomb3dfx.exe doesn't seem to work with the emulation.
now I've been tweaking plain dosbox, including among other things the glide patch which wraps the 3dfx card gfx functions' calls for windows to handle them and it works
there's this pretty huge glide.cpp source in the open glide patch documentation which, well.. documents that

DosBox-Pure, as pure as it may be, presumably works its way through this 3dfx wrapping task some other way, other than juggling glide dll paraphernalia
tbh I don't know the Pure version
I see here it's being developed and should support natively 3dfx as per this voodoo.cpp source
and quickly reviewed here https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=41853 (check out page 6: post by Kekko)

surely all this has very little to do with both the glide patch and its implementation into my installer so it hardly surprises me that, not using nGlide, installing default glide doesn't work
it's a different beast

Quote:
I don't get the usual 3dfx logo on game start. Same goes for Unfinished Business.
no wonder here
3dfx logo will only show if one 3dfxSpl2.dll file is there, which of course for what it's worth my installer provides to begin with

Last edited by gidierre; 28-08-22 at 17:02.