www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Fan Artwork, Pictures, Movies and Writings

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-09-17, 13:29   #2791
Mani_Man
Relic Hunter
 
Mani_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,248
Default

So i watched one walkthrough of this...and its okay.
I will probably watch a couple more because i feel like the person i watched, didnt do the best job in showing the demo.

Overall it looks very nice, especially considering that its basicly done by one person.
Of course UE4 helps a lot and lets people create easier then ever a game, but its still very impressive.
With a couple of more people who polish some of the rough edges in terms of animation, transition etc...this could be a really good thing.
Expecting something mindblowing is too much, but for what it is...that was impressive.

The level design is not very "smart", you can easily see where to go and so on.
Many things felt and looked rather clumsy, there was no real pacing which feels more off nowadays than ever.
The platforming was good in general, its platforming in a time where you have more control over a character...you simply cant "copy" the platforming of the classics because for that you need to take away all momentum and go back to the tank controls and a more "square" level design.

But still it was nice to look at and i can see it getting some momentum.
There is potential to find in this project.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 13:32   #2792
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter
 
SpyrosMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
No they didn't. The Core games had sensible platforming that was well-thought out, and made sense.
So you're telling me that in the core games you never found yourself stuck in a room where you didn't know where to go but as soon as you found out you felt stupid for how obvious it was?
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 13:33   #2793
valerys
Hobbyist
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster View Post
That's called using your brain.
The Core games had this. I don't see anyone complaining about them.
I completely agree with you, I found the puzzle in the last room difficult but very entertaining. The Core games had difficult puzzles too but lots of them are way too frustrating for a newcomer in this era while I found the puzzles in LAU games TOO intuitive and figured them right away (more like pseudopuzzles). The beginning of the demo was much like the LAU games as in meh on puzzling side but that last room just wow, brought the perfect balance between Core's and Crystal's designs.
valerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 13:35   #2794
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter
 
ThatSassyKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster View Post
So you're telling me that in the core games you never found yourself stuck in a room where you didn't know where to go but as soon as you found out you felt stupid for how obvious it was?
I got stuck, sure, but it was because I was in the wrong room. I can almost always tell where I need to get to in the classics (with the exception of the last half of TR4) and it's just about trying to work out how to actually do it. I never felt that way with this, and it was overall a disappointing experience. Don't come for a witch hunt at me for expressing my disappointment with the game. I'm not going to dick ride just because it's a free game. I'm still going to criticise it for its huge downfalls.
__________________
Worry is a misuse of your imagination.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 13:37   #2795
Zebra
Legend
 
Zebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 26,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
The platforming was good in general, its platforming in a time where you have more control over a character....
You mean less control.
__________________
Wozu zuhören, wenn man reden kann?
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 13:39   #2796
Mani_Man
Relic Hunter
 
Mani_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
You mean less control.
No, i meant what i said.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 13:40   #2797
Zebra
Legend
 
Zebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 26,406
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
No, i meant what i said.
Well, in that case you don't know what you're talking about.
__________________
Wozu zuhören, wenn man reden kann?
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 13:41   #2798
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter
 
SpyrosMonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 6,837
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
I got stuck, sure, but it was because I was in the wrong room. I can almost always tell where I need to get to in the classics (with the exception of the last half of TR4) and it's just about trying to work out how to actually do it. I never felt that way with this, and it was overall a disappointing experience. Don't come for a witch hunt at me for expressing my disappointment with the game. I'm not going to dick ride just because it's a free game. I'm still going to criticise it for its huge downfalls.
It's not a witch hunt hun, what you wrote was the only thing that made me curious because in my eyes that's legit what core used to do. Put you in a room with zero hints and find yourself the way out. Which in my eyes is exactly what nicobass achieved in that last room. To each his own, I guess.
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 13:42   #2799
ThatSassyKid
Relic Hunter
 
ThatSassyKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster View Post
It's not a witch hunt hun, what you wrote was the only thing that made me curious because in my eyes that's legit what core used to do. Put you in a room with zero hints and find yourself the way out. Which in my eyes is exactly what nicobass achieved in that last room. To each his own, I guess.
I literally had no idea what the actual goal was. Like, okay, open this door. Cool. I don't see anywhere to climb for me to do that, to get anywhere??
__________________
Worry is a misuse of your imagination.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 13:44   #2800
Mani_Man
Relic Hunter
 
Mani_Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Well, in that case you don't know what you're talking about.
Ehm...no.
But i have active lifestyle so maybe our interpretation of having full control is different.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.