www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 21-10-19, 14:14   #1
XXIIXX
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 487
Default The General Fighting Video Games Thread

I noticed a semi-active Tekken thread but I wasn't sure if I should revive it or not... Instead I thought that maybe we could have a thread about fighting video games in general since we didn't have one!

Along with Tomb Raider, I've been playing Tekken for as long as I can remember. Growing up I also got really into Dead or Alive and SoulCalibur and, over the years, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter as well!

My mains for this console generation are Nina Williams, Laura Matsuda, Mileena, Ivy and Helena Douglas.

I also always preferred playing as the female fighters (the Lara Croft effect I guess) because I thought they were more nimble and fun to play as but then I realised it was because I'm gay. Oops. At the same time I reached this conclusion I realised the guys weren't that bad after all... But anyways. Girl power!

Also, @SEGA needs to stop being a lazy bitch and revive Virtua Fighter!

Last edited by tlr online; 21-10-19 at 14:47. Reason: Images removed. See FAQ on posting images.
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 15:28   #2
tomblover
Legend
 
tomblover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 25,816
Default

I love fighting games, but the only one I've ever been able to really wrap my head around is Dead or Alive. Tina main, here - but I could probably re-learn Hitomi from my DOA4 days if I wanted to.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 16:20   #3
XXIIXX
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomblover View Post
I love fighting games, but the only one I've ever been able to really wrap my head around is Dead or Alive. Tina main, here - but I could probably re-learn Hitomi from my DOA4 days if I wanted to.
Ι love Tina! Kasumi, Tina and Helena were my holy trinity in DOA2. Still love all of them!!
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 16:54   #4
redfox45
Professor
 
redfox45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Temple of Xian
Posts: 3,174
Default

I've always had a love/hate relationship with fighting games. Love the franchises, the lores, the characters, all the design aspects of it.

If you always have an irl friend you can play with then it's great but as far as I know NOT A SINGLE fighting game that has ever been made has good ai opponents.

It seems creating an AI that doesn't just input read and is like the cure for the common cold and beating it never requires learning how to fight well but finding ways to exploit holes in how the computer is cheating. Which teaches the player horrible habbits. Most infamous culprit of this being Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Going 1p in fighting games is horrible and always has been, online is usually not much better either unless you are willing to put an insane amount of time into learning the game.

But when theres a friend there to casually have a few sets with it's awesome. Great fun

I'm a sucker for a good scrappy chick like Asuka from Tekken or Makoto and Sakura from SF.
redfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 17:16   #5
XXIIXX
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
I've always had a love/hate relationship with fighting games. Love the franchises, the lores, the characters, all the design aspects of it.

If you always have an irl friend you can play with then it's great but as far as I know NOT A SINGLE fighting game that has ever been made has good ai opponents.

It seems creating an AI that doesn't just input read and is like the cure for the common cold and beating it never requires learning how to fight well but finding ways to exploit holes in how the computer is cheating. Which teaches the player horrible habbits. Most infamous culprit of this being Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Going 1p in fighting games is horrible and always has been, online is usually not much better either unless you are willing to put an insane amount of time into learning the game.

But when theres a friend there to casually have a few sets with it's awesome. Great fun

I'm a sucker for a good scrappy chick like Asuka from Tekken or Makoto and Sakura from SF.
Sadly, that's true. Playing against the CPU is fun but only for a little while, having a friend who's about as good as you are playing with you is what makes the genre shine!
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-19, 21:48   #6
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter
 
AntRaidsTombs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7,412
Default

Do any of guys remember the Ready to Rumble series? I miss those games lol.
__________________
“Alright you bastards, let’s see what you got.” - LC
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 08:47   #7
killchan
Professor
 
killchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Press "survival instinct" to find me
Posts: 2,888
Default

as a fan of the old style 2D sprites, I'm glad that some studios (see Guilty Gear and Granblue Versus) have been attempting to emulate that artstyle (while optimizing the artists' workload) instead of going full 3D Rubber Puppets and failing at it like others did with King Of Fighters 14, Samurai Shodow, Fighting Ex Layer....
I mean SamShow looks better than others but still looks like something that's gonna age pretty fast.
__________________
Realism isn't an achievement. It's a choice

Last edited by killchan; 22-10-19 at 08:48.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 14:15   #8
jajay119
Tomb Raider
 
jajay119's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 23,377
Default

I used to love fighting games when I was younger but in recent gens I think they’ve become the definition of lazy rehashing and OTT use of DLCs to resell content which has really put me off. I certainly believe Dead or Alive 4 and Tekken 5 OG version were the pinnacle of good beat em ups.

Tekken: I main Nina and Anna

Dead or Alive: I main Helena and Christie

Mortal Kombat: I main Sonya and Kitana.

I have a thing for strong blondes apparently


I was never that into Soul Calibur, Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter although I did really try to get into VF4.

On a related note I do like games such as Yakuza where, whilst not beat em ups, do have a lot of hand to hand combat.

Looking forward to the new Streets of Rage.
__________________
... in my opinion.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 14:49   #9
dg1995
Archaeologist
 
dg1995's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 1,356
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfox45 View Post
It seems creating an AI that doesn't just input read and is like the cure for the common cold and beating it never requires learning how to fight well but finding ways to exploit holes in how the computer is cheating. Which teaches the player horrible habbits. Most infamous culprit of this being Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.
Imo the worst cheating AI I've seen in a fighting game was in Mortal Kombat 2.

1.Duck and Uppercut the player when the player uses uppercut.
2.Throw the player when the player presses the throw button.
3.When the player is jumping backward, use projectile.
4.When player is jumping forward, Jump projectile attack them.(Or use some other counter moves)
5.Always stage fatality players when they've lost.

Really as a child I could understand that the AI just reads my input and counters them.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-19, 14:53   #10
XXIIXX
Inactive
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Athens, Greece
Posts: 487
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I used to love fighting games when I was younger but in recent gens I think they’ve become the definition of lazy rehashing and OTT use of DLCs to resell content which has really put me off. I certainly believe Dead or Alive 4 and Tekken 5 OG version were the pinnacle of good beat em ups.

Tekken: I main Nina and Anna

Dead or Alive: I main Helena and Christie

Mortal Kombat: I main Sonya and Kitana.

I have a thing for strong blondes apparently


I was never that into Soul Calibur, Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter although I did really try to get into VF4.

On a related note I do like games such as Yakuza where, whilst not beat em ups, do have a lot of hand to hand combat.

Looking forward to the new Streets of Rage.
Unfortunately yes, after 2009 or so everything seems to have gotten downhill. Characters get prettier but that's it.

I love all of your mains ❤️

If you're interested in that aspect of fighting games, SoulCalibur has very good lore and back stories and tiny details for every main character and dozens of side characters to flesh out the plot.

Unfortunately, they don't have as big a budget as Tekken to present the plot in an engaging manner so they usually result to still panels. Beautifully drawn but that's as far as it goes.
XXIIXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 19:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.