www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 31-05-22, 22:51   #1
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Default Video gaming as an adult is just as fun as it's always been

I've been busy taking care of my mother and myself and I got pretty depressed a few years ago about video games and how I'd never have the time. I had seen similar sentiments too. However a few years later and I've managed to find a nice balance. The trick to me is to not focus on how much progress your making, but to focus on learning, discovering, and overall just having fun with it. I get about an hour a day, sometimes 2 on rare occasions, and with this new attitude, gaming hasn't been as much of a burden as I used to treat it. Just sit down play a game, even for an hour and just have fun with it. It helps in that it makes games last so much longer and thus the experience is much more rememberable and enjoyable.

And if I do get bored playing one game all the time I just throw in something else for a few days just to spice it up. I've managed to clear a small portion of my gaming backlog and In enjoying the journey. It's become an actual hobby of mine instead of a burden and obsession lately.

My relationship with gaming couldn't be healthier tbh.
Old 31-05-22, 23:09   #2
Tombcool
Professor

I don't know, I have a different experience.

I just don't find games now-a-days as fun as they used to be when I was kid or teenager. There isn't really anything that amazing that has come out in the last 12 years or so if you ask me.

The only games I truly enjoyed in the last 12 years would have to be Dishonored 2, The Evil Within 2, and Resident Evil 2 Remake. And maybe Assassin's Creed Odyssey. But none of those games would fall under the category of being so good that it's considered a "classic".

You just won't find classics like the original Resident Evil or Tomb Raider trilogy anymore. Experiencing those horror/action-adventure games when they first came out was a great experience for me.

Or who could forget about Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? There has been no RPG that has come close to that level of mastery that has come out since 2004.

Or Left 4 Dead? There have been no multiplayer games that have come out since 2008 that has been able to match that game.

Last edited by Tombcool; 31-05-22 at 23:30.
Tombcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 15:58   #3
redfox45
Professor

When it comes to a first run of a game you're really enjoying, playing it that way is the best way anyway imo.

You're only going to have that first experience once and if you're enjoying it why not savor it and drag it out for as long as you can?
Even if I don't need to that's always how I do it and like you said it always makes it a more memorable and enjoyable experience.
Old 01-06-22, 16:15   #4
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

It was definitely better as a kid. Good games are scarce now, plus my preferences shifted to other genres. Some games I enjoyed as my younger self, I don't enjoy anymore (and the other way around).

Fortunately, it also means I can appreciate the other things life offers too.
Old 01-06-22, 16:45   #5
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

I don't know if I could get so excited and filled with wonder as much as I was when I was a child or teenager again.
I don't think it has anything to do with the current state of gaming (even if yes it did have some impacts), but more about me as an adult.
The sense of discovery is gone and everything is a bit more tempered and dull. A bit sad in a way, I'm fine but I can't help. It's just the way it is.

Anyway, I'm glad for you, Charmed ! It's great you find the healthy happy balance to this passion !

Last edited by Chamayoo; 01-06-22 at 16:53.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 18:02   #6
redfox45
Professor

I dunno, recently i've sworn off new(er) games almost completely and I've really noticed how much more enjoyable it has become again in a big way.

I think as time has gone on, the industry is partly to blame for making us feel this way a lot of the time as it's become more mainstream. I exclusively play older popular games I missed out on now and I haven't enjoyed playing games this much in years. Theres a feeling of uncharted territory and experimentation that you just don't really get anymore, everything now is played very safe, what little new ground there is left to tread, big devs will rarely take that gamble and play it nice and safe.

When you play older stuff you can tell that (unlike now) it HAD to be the final version the day they shipped it out. There was no "meh we can always patch it" no, if there were any serious issues they would have to recall it and rerelease it at their own expense and you can feel that different attitude when you play old games vs newer games.
Old 01-06-22, 19:42   #7
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

I ran into that problem of not having enough games to play or franchises I care about. What I did was expand my horizon. I've played most first party Nintendo Switch games, even games I never really played before. My aunt also gave away her PS4 to me and I was able to play games exclusive to PS4. Now I have tons of franchises I'm interested in.
Old 01-06-22, 20:40   #8
Zsott
Archaeologist

It's an interesting thing to talk about...
Personally, I'm on the fence really. I don't find too much enjoyment in newer games (though I still find some of them interesting), while when it comes to older games, I only play just a handful.
So I do enjoy gaming as adult, but maybe not to that extent that I used to. Time had changed, with it I changed too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
I ran into that problem of not having enough games to play or franchises I care about.
I never had this problem, tbh.
I only play just a few games these days, and they're still not 100% explored.
(RDR 2, HITMAN, Witcher 3 , Fallout 3-4 just to mention a few)

I really recommend , that you look for something rpg-ish game. That way you can replay it differently (good - bad) and to find some small easily missable sidequests and whatnot; that way you won't run out from stuff to play. It could even make you reflect on real life things.
Old 02-06-22, 07:43   #9
Mani_Man
Relic Hunter

To me the defintion of fun has changed a bit and of course i dont have the time or stamina i had back then when it comes to games, but i have as much fun as i did when i was a kid.

Games have become easier to access and enjoy, its not as much hassle to get into a game and all, that helps.

And despite the tons of ego shooters, battle royale and other genre i dont like being main focus in the industry, im not empty on games.

I currently play 2 games, have 3 i wanna replay soon, 3 new games installed but havent touched them yet.
3 sure buys in the future...so its not like i dont have games nowadays...time is the major problem.

I define "fun" different than back in the day, but i still have fun with video games, maybe even on a deeper level than as a kid.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-22, 12:50   #10
ESCachuli
Professor

Tastes change with age, that's a given.

I also noticed I dont play games as much as I did as a kid, I cant stand playing for longer than an hour generally.

When I dont have to work id rather watch tv than play games, tho there are exceptions.

It's part of getting older, I guess.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote