www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider 25

Old 30-04-22, 21:07   #431
Ellioft
Professor

Here's one review (no spoiler)

https://theescaperoomer.com/the-tomb...rience-review/

And another from Youtube (without spoilers)

The TR experience have 16 rooms wich is a looot and apparently the sets are huge and detailed.
Old 05-05-22, 11:36   #432
Pevalwen
Hobbyist

Hi all! It's my first time using this forum since I was 14 in 2009 haha - I remembered the forum because it sends me 'happy birthday' messages every year!

I was pleased to visit the Tomb Raider attraction this week, and speaking as a fan, it was really good! I was expecting a generic adventure experience with Lara Croft shoved in, but it actually tied really nicely into the Tomb Raider universe. Stepping into the reception area and hearing The Tomb Raider Suite made me pretty confident about it upon arrival! And there is a great balance of references for fans of both the classic and modern series. The actors were excellent too.

Here's my review:
https://youtu.be/gjC-13-cf5I

I don't know how to embed a video, but if any moderators wouldn't mind editing my post and doing that for me, I'd be grateful!

Last edited by Rai; 05-05-22 at 11:47. Reason: Embed video as requested
Pevalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-22, 11:52   #433
Rai

That's a short and sweet, non spoiler review, Pevalwen. Edited your post as requested. If you need further help, don't hesitate to ask.
Old 05-05-22, 12:01   #434
Pevalwen
Hobbyist

Thanks a lot for that, Rai!

I've edited the video title, as it seems the review isn't as spoilery as I was concerned it might be haha
Old 05-05-22, 12:13   #435
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

I love that they called her Professor Lara Croft.
Old 06-05-22, 10:21   #436
Pevalwen
Hobbyist

A couple of people from overseas have asked that I share some spoilers, as they won't be able to visit. Would that be alright? I've hidden them below, for anyone interested!

We started in the reception area, which has a bar themed to Croft Manor. My friend and I had booked to have the experience with just us two, but we were asked if we would mind four other people joining us - we met these people in the bar, and we were happy to share the experience with them. I'm glad we did, because you need lots of helpers in this experience, and our new friends were great.

Croft Manor:

The first room of the experience was a Croft Manor library, which we were invited to explore, before a stone orb began to glow. A pathway then lit up, and we followed it before finding ourselves in the snow, in Finland!

Finland:

The walls had a landscape printed on them, there were real tree trunks to emulate a forest, and there was lots of fake snow. There was a pine smell too! An archaeologist called Parker (and movie Lara on a screen) told us that there are orbs which enable teleportation, and a villain called Aidan is trying to steal certain relics (little glass orbs) which will give him the ability to use the orbs for nefarious reasons. We were archaeology students at UCL, and Lara was supposed to be guiding us but had been caught up in a storm (or maybe she'd bumped into trouble with the villains). Parker then took us into a log cabin, where Lara had hidden various relics for safekeeping. We had to collect these relics before Aidan could get them, but we could hear his mercenaries arriving outside, so we had to be quick and retrieve the relics escape room style, solving different puzzles. The mercenaries arrived, so Parker led us through a secret bookcase door, and we crawled through a trapdoor back 'outside'. Another ally was awaiting us, and she got us to jump onto the back of a jeep, which bounced about. The snowy landscape was projected onto a wall, to make it look like we were travelling as the jeep bounced. Then, Aidan's henchpeople turned up in vehicles on the projection, and we were being pursued. Bows and arrows (with rubber ends) were available, so we fired them at the villains, and if we hit them, they'd blow up or die (or something like that!). There were only two bows, so we had to take it in turns, which took from the urgency a bit, but it was still very fun. Zip then called into the jeep, and we heard him tell us that a cargo ship was waiting for us.

Cargo ship:

We jumped off the jeep and went down some stairs, where we found the side of a big ship. We knocked on the door, and a sailor let us in after some persuading. The set was great and felt like something from a Tomb Raider game - all the sets were pretty great actually, although there were a few white ceilings and such here and there. But you were so busy with your adventure that your imagination could fill in the blanks. The ship was full of artefacts and other relics, which we solved puzzles to retrieve. We also found a medipack, which I believe was used to bargain with the sailor, who possibly gave us a relic in return, but I can't remember exactly (different people in the group experienced different things, which was quite cool, as it made it all varied and unique). My friend had collected a backpack at Croft Manor, and he was putting all the relics into that. There was a very cool puzzle where we all had to turn valve wheels at the same time to release a relic from a container. Alarms started to ring, as the ship was sinking, and one of the shipping containers opened to reveal a giant, glowing transportation orb. We crawled under it/squeezed past it and found ourselves in Costa Rica!

Costa Rica:

This part really reminded me of the jungle in Tomb Raider III. Here, we were met by an old romantic partner of Lara's - at least, he said he was, but apparently Lara hasn't spoken to him in years, which suggested he was exaggerating! He helped us zip-line through the jungle, towards a cave. My friend and I were the last to use the zip-line, and the actor gave us both instructions to lead our team through the cave and wait at the door at the end of it. He also asked us to ask Lara to get back in touch with him if we saw her. This was another unique interaction that the others didn't get, helping maintain that kind of organic feel the actor interactions had.

Mine:

We headed through the cave, which had lanterns along its walls, and a miner welcomed us into a mine of Atlantean artefacts (I believe) - it was very reminiscent of the mine level from the original Tomb Raider game. Jonah gave us an audio message via computer. My friends worked on relic puzzles in the middle of the room, and I worked on instructions to work a mining machine, which would help me 'drill' a relic from the wall. With help from one of my new friends, I almost got the relic, but then toxic gas filled the mine (I think there would normally be smoke effects here, but not on this occasion) and we had to escape. We went down a tunnel and reached a barred gate, where a dubious man asked for our newest relic in return for letting us through the gate. I liked this interaction, and how we couldn't be sure if we could trust this person. We bargained with him, and he let us out, back into the jungle, where we were met with an assault course.

Jungle assault course:

The course had a part to crawl under, a structure to climb up and over, planks to run along, a bridge and then a ledge or steps to go down. There were trees and ruins either side of the course. The character challenged us to race each other through the course, but he also told us we might find relics along the way. My friends raced ahead, and I raced at the start, but then went rummaging around the foliage to find relics! One of my friends had found a relic in a nearby skeleton. I really liked this part, because it was just like the video games, where you can detour from the main 'quest' to go exploring and look for secrets. It kind of felt like the training with Von Croy, where you can leave him for a bit and search alone. :P I then caught up with my friends, who were at the entrance to a tomb. There were ledges on a wall to the side, looking very Tomb Raidery - I think the top one had a skeleton on it - I believe my friends had climbed it and found a relic while I had been searching the jungle.

Tomb of Sibu:

The door to the tomb was slightly open, and we crawled inside. The door closed behind us (of course), and we were left crawling through a tunnel in complete darkness. This part was great. There were occasional beams of light seeping through cracks, but otherwise, we had to use our hands and each other's guidance to get around corners, up steps and such. Material above brushed over us as we passed through, giving it a sensory effect. We finally crawled out, met by a skull on the ground.

An ally in a military uniform met us inside the tomb. She was waiting beside a ledge with a drop on the other side. We were told that the only way to enter the heart of the tomb was to go through a kind of Atlantean ritual, where one must stand with their back to the ledge, then drop backwards into the darkness. My friends went ahead and did this, one by one, and they landed on a big, puffy thing at the bottom. I was the last in line, and I was told to shout something as I dropped, to complete the ritual ... but my body wouldn't let me drop back and my legs locked up haha. I asked if the Atlaneans had an alternative entrance, and the actor took me backstage, down some steps, telling me that Lara had built this tunnel but keeps it to herself! I joined my team in a dark area at the bottom of the ledge.

After a short moment of waiting, a door opened, and we found ourselves in a huge room, with big columns and spaces that I didn't even explore (which was cool, because it helped emphasise the room's size). In the centre was a big orb on a raised platform - it was slightly reminiscent of the meaty orbs in the games' Atlantis levels, but it was made of stone. The villain Aidan was by it, hooking up tubes to it, in order to activate and harness its powers. (I thought the name Aidan was a bit underwhelming for the villain - surnames, like Natla, Rutland, Von Croy, Eckhardt etc., tend to be more dramatic) Anyway, this scene was very much like being in the boss level of a video game! There was also a musty smell in there. Aidan gave a little speech about his intentions, and then we turned around to see Lara, from a big, high-up tomby window behind us. This was done very well. We didn't see Lara's face, because she was in darkness but for a purple light behind her, illuminating her silhouette. But we could see she had a very long plait and a blue top. She was voiced by movie Lara, and because we couldn't see her face, it was a convincing effect. I liked that her features were kept ambiguous - it allows all sorts of fans to imagine their favourite version of Lara - and it also made her seem mysterious and exciting. It wasn't just one of the other actors. It was Lara Croft! Her being revealed like this, jumping in to save the day, after only communicating with us fleetingly beforehand, was a great finale. She told us to put our relics onto podiums to overpower Aidan's orb, but we hadn't found enough and failed (oh no). I assume that if teams find all the relics, the outcome might be different. Then, of course, just as Aidan celebrated his victory, Lara turned things around, drew her pistols and shot the machinery Aidan had been using. It was a great gun effect, and also a great moment in that we hadn't seen the classic pistols (not even on the statue outside) up until this point. Lara encouraged us to escape the tomb, and I assume she might have finished Aidan off when we left haha.

Epilogue:

I loved this last, unexpected scene. We made our way inside the private jet, which had very comfortable seats we could rest on. Winston greeted us and reviewed our adventure with us, marking our performance on a score card. There was a screen, showing how our plane was travelling from Costa Rica, back to England. There was lighting through the windows to show that we were travelling. Lara also gave us an audio congratulations via the screen. To end off, Winston told us there was an organisation called Natla Technologies, who was interested in some help with a new venture, and he gave a business card to one of my teammates at the front of the plane. What a brilliant moment! It was also nice to realise where our adventure had taken place in the Tomb Raider timeline - it made sense from a 'unified' perspective, because it could have taken place just after the movie (hence why movie Lara had helped us out/linking to the end of the movie) or just after Shadow of the Tomb Raider (explaining Jonah's presence/linking to the end of that game), and I think there were other suggestions that fed into this. I asked Winston if he had a spare business card when I left the plane, because I really wanted one!! He gave me one, and I was sure to call it outside to find out what happened. This was a brilliant way for the story to stay with us when we left - the adventure continued and we could stay immersed beyond the exit! After the plane was a green screen photo opportunity, but this wasn't yet ready (with it being the preview week).

My description probably doesn't do the experience justice, but it was incredibly engaging, and there was an ideal balance of Tomb Raider references to appease fans of the old games, the new games, the movie and just everyday people who don't know about Tomb Raider!

If you want to ask any questions, perhaps hide them as spoilers so others don't see. I don't use this forum much, so please also feel free to contact me on Twitter (@Pevalwen) if not here.

Last edited by Pevalwen; 06-05-22 at 10:24.
Old 06-05-22, 10:39   #437
Amunet
Archaeologist

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, Pevalwen. As I won't be able to attend, it's nice to read what it's all about!
Old 06-05-22, 13:46   #438
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Great review Pevalwen, I am glad you enjoyed yourself. I enjoyed reading this review, it actually made me feel as if I was there.
Old 07-05-22, 03:30   #439
LateRaider
Professor

Thank you so much for that description. If the next game goes in any sort of direction as that Live Experience, I think the next TR game just might work.
Old 07-05-22, 07:16   #440
JuditePrince12
Archaeologist

The experience sounds so cool! It sucks that I can't attend tho smh. Does the number on the card work?