www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 08-05-22, 04:37   #1
dg1995
Archaeologist

Default Any chance for a reboot trilogy level editor ?

We know that:

-Reboot trilogy has been finished and it doesn't going to get any other updates/dlcs.

-Crystal Dynamic has abandoned the Foundation engine and they are gonna use Unreal 5 for the next Tomb Raider game.(So, they are not gonna ever use that engine ever again)

Is it possible they release a level editor for the reboot trilogy kinda similar to the way Core released a level editor when they were done making PS1 TR games ?

I think the next TR game is 3-4 years away and so releasing a level editor allows the TR community to have something to do at this time frame.A level editor also gives some longetivity to reboot games which is a good thing.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-22, 04:53   #2
bublehed
Historian

This is highly unlikely... They didn't do it with LAU and they probably won't do it with TReboot. You're more likely to see a fan reverse-engineer the engine if anything.

On the topic of the Foundation engine: I wonder if Crystal took the rights to it with them when they were sold off, or if the engine stayed with Square?
bublehed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-22, 12:19   #3
Gh0stBlade
Professor

Unfortunately, though I'd like to see this happen... It's unlikely it will happen. Especially since the trilogy editor only works with uncooked data and not cooked. You'd basically need source access to the art files which is something they definitely won't be giving out ever. It'd also be huge in file size.

I was working on an editor for the reboot trilogy but stopped since there was no interest in it from the community
Old 08-05-22, 12:53   #4
xcrushterx
Relic Hunter

Better just playing about with unreal
Old 08-05-22, 13:19   #5
jajay119
Tomb Raider

I feel like the Foundation Engine would be too complicated for your average Joe to use. I know Unreal and Unity are free to use but they take much more learning around them than the Core engine which was relatively easy to use. I doubt they would do it but Stranger things have happened.
Old 08-05-22, 15:50   #6
amiro1989
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
Unfortunately, though I'd like to see this happen... It's unlikely it will happen. Especially since the trilogy editor only works with uncooked data and not cooked. You'd basically need source access to the art files which is something they definitely won't be giving out ever. It'd also be huge in file size.

I was working on an editor for the reboot trilogy but stopped since there was no interest in it from the community
Who in their right mind would not like an editor, regardless if it's of the Reboot or not?

You should get right back to it, as it is clearly without a doubt, something the fandom would end up adopting.
Old 08-05-22, 15:59   #7
killchan
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcrushterx View Post
Better just playing about with unreal
Basically.
Old 08-05-22, 16:23   #8
Gh0stBlade
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiro1989 View Post
Who in their right mind would not like an editor, regardless if it's of the Reboot or not?

You should get right back to it, as it is clearly without a doubt, something the fandom would end up adopting.
You can check out the progress we had when writing a level editor for TR2013 here: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=223647

We switched to TR7 since it's a simpler engine and more people seemed interested in that game and not TR2013.
Old 08-05-22, 17:07   #9
moodydog
Tomb Raider

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/unreal-engine-5

Last edited by tlr online; 08-05-22 at 17:45. Reason: Referral data removed. See FAQ on posting links.
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-22, 14:28   #10
ReH_
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
You can check out the progress we had when writing a level editor for TR2013 here: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=223647

We switched to TR7 since it's a simpler engine and more people seemed interested in that game and not TR2013.
Does that mean we can build levels for TR Legend??
I'm very interested in this!