Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 16-06-22, 20:59   #31
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko Todd View Post
This is what I've got:

At least the true alpha is on now
I get the exact same effect ! It's not caused by disabling True Alpha though, it's because the game doesn't like being tricked into having no MMX extension on my PC.

To be fair, Tomb Raider 3 has a pretty solid software renderer. To me it looks exactly the same as Direct3D mode but with a lot more polygons clipping through walls. I sometimes like to play Tomb Raider 2 in software mode because I really like the aesthetics .
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-22, 21:46   #32
Niko Todd

*To be deleted*

Last edited by Niko Todd; 15-08-23 at 16:02.
Niko Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-22, 06:57   #33
Woops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
Can someone please close this thread? It's already turned into an s-show.
Can we maybe NOT close every thread because of a certain someone and instead ask people not to keep bringing him up every opportunity? At this rate every thread he ever posts in/he is mentioned in will be locked…

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
I get the exact same effect ! It's not caused by disabling True Alpha though, it's because the game doesn't like being tricked into having no MMX extension on my PC.

To be fair, Tomb Raider 3 has a pretty solid software renderer. To me it looks exactly the same as Direct3D mode but with a lot more polygons clipping through walls. I sometimes like to play Tomb Raider 2 in software mode because I really like the aesthetics .
I agree! The software renderer in tr4 and 5 was 100% a downgrade. At least for modern machines, it likes to crash at every corner
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-22, 07:25   #34
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko Todd View Post
P.S. Just noticed that if I use the modern DDraw from the dgVooDoo, it fixes the menu font and the vertical line on the start screen; and it looks like the rain streaks in the very beginning look thicker, or it's just my mind playing tricks on me.
Depends how you set up dgVoodoo and the game. The resolution I set in the TR3 setup is 1024x768, but I have made dgVoodoo stretch all the menu items and rain to 1440x1080 with antialiasing, so the rain appears as smooth thicker lines than 1 pixel thin. Then I’ve made dgVoodoo force all the 3D stuff to render at the monitor resolution 1440x1080 (playing with 4:3 black bars), rather than being stretched and blurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woops View Post
I agree! The software renderer in tr4 and 5 was 100% a downgrade. At least for modern machines, it likes to crash at every corner
Yeah ! I remember putting TR4 once in software render by accident, years ago on Windows XP and I thought it was terrible. Until now I’ve never seen TR3 in software mode and was surprised how good it was. And I only chose it in TR2 because I thought playing in 256 colours would be interesting .
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 01:23   #35
mizuno_suisei

But Woops detailed how to enable it in the usual exe(s) though
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 03:21   #36
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
But Woops detailed how to enable it in the usual exe(s) though
The retail version of the TR3 exe application of course. And besides, changing the setting to software mode to begin with looks like the E3 1998 graphics of it. Do you believe so?
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 07:54   #37
mizuno_suisei

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRExpertgamer View Post
The retail version of the TR3 exe application of course. And besides, changing the setting to software mode to begin with looks like the E3 1998 graphics of it. Do you believe so?
Software mode does indeed look a bit more lower quality.
mizuno_suisei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 13:49   #38
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Software mode does indeed look a bit more lower quality.
Yes!!! That is absolutely true
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-22, 14:15   #39
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Exclamation

Some posts removed and marked as spam. Please post respectfully and constructively and stay on topic. Use the report function to report posts you think busts the rules.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote