Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 05-05-22, 08:52   #1
Greenapple968

Arrow Glitchless Keeping The Enemies Alive (New Challenge For TR2+TR3+TR4)

Menkaure's Pyramid:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHuneCD7ETs

Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ExHng5rpCJZzSl

This is a new challenge that I've taken on for Tomb Raider 2, Tomb Raider 3 and Tomb Raider Last Revelation. It is a Glitchless Keeping The Enemies Alive Challenge. The objective of this challenge is for me to complete the levels from those three games which contain allies, and attempt to keep every enemy alive, apart from any enemies who have to be killed for level completion. So the enemies who don't need to be killed are strictly not to be killed, not by me and not by my allies. I am allowed to kill my allies, and this is something that will likely be done if it means saving enemies. I did do a Keeping The Enemies Alive Challenge back in 2015. I had to collect all secrets, and there were other restrictions too. I've now started a Glitchless Keeping The Enemies Alive Challenge, where I'm not allowed to use glitches and have other limitations.

This will mean doing videos for the following levels:
Crash Site, TR3 (Soldiers)
Lud's Gate, TR3 (The Damned)
High Security Compound, TR3 (Prisoners)
Area 51, TR3 (Prisoners)
RX-Tech Mines, TR3 (Flamethrower Guys)
Barkhang Monastery, TR2 (Monks)
Menkaure's Pyramid, TR4 (Soldiers)
Khufu's Queens Pyramids, TR4 (Soldiers)

I also have the additional restrictions of:
All Secrets
Minimum Healthpacks
Limited Saves
Pistols Only

To elaborate on "Minimum Healthpacks", I aim to keep the healthpack usage to a minimum. Ideally I won't use any healthpacks, but that might not be possible in some levels.
To elaborate on "Limited Saves", in Last Revelation I am restricted to three saves per level. In TR2 I am restricted to five saves per level. In TR3, I play as if I enter each level without any savegame crystals. Meaning that the number of savegame crystals that I collect in a level is the number of times that I'm allowed to save, and I have to collect a crystal before I can save with it.

In this video you see me complete Menkaure's Pyramid, the third level of the Giza section from Tomb Raider Last Revelation. I successfully managed to complete this level with 0/12 enemies being killed. A problem with the Giza section is that the scorpions don't just go after the soldiers; they also go after the beetles. Because of this, I had to keep the beetles safe from the scorpions, as well as keeping the scorpions safe from the soldiers. Having a soldier or beetle alive will result in the scorpions not being hostile towards you unless you shoot them, which means that the presence of the beetles who got triggered between 01:46-02:08 would've helped me when I was within range of any scorpions. If a soldier or beetle is present and you shoot a scorpion, then the scorpion will ignore the soldier/beetle and only go after you. I shot the scorpions at 01:18, 04:10 and 04:14, and this was to stop them from killing beetles.

You'll notice that I shot the scorpion at 01:18 a number of times during the level, and there was a reason for this. Not including Lara, this game can only have five active characters at once. An enemy counts as a character, as does an ally. If you have more than five characters present at once then only five of them will be active, whereas the other characters will become inactive. The five characters who are closest to you are the ones who will be active, and the characters that are further away will be inactive. Due to the high number of characters in this level, the scorpion who I shot at 01:18 would've become inactive at times. When that scorpion became active again after being inactive, he would've gone for the beetle. When you shoot a scorpion, you aggravate the scorpion. When an aggravated scorpion goes inactive and becomes active again, it will no longer be aggravated. This means that I had to keep re-aggravating the scorpion to stop it from harming the beetle.

I collected the level's only secret, didn't use any glitches, didn't use any healthpacks, only used the Pistols, and saved three times, which is within the limit of three saves. In the next video I will be doing Khufu's Queens Pyramids, TR4.

Last edited by Greenapple968; 05-05-22 at 08:58.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-22, 09:07   #2
Greenapple968

Khufu's Queens Pyramids:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYzDfGGWzSc

I successfully managed to complete this level with 0/22 enemies being killed. A problem with the Giza section is that the scorpions don't just go after the soldiers; they also go after the beetles. Because of this, I had to keep the beetles safe from the scorpions, as well as keeping the scorpions safe from the soldiers. Having a soldier or beetle alive will result in the scorpions not being hostile towards you unless you shoot them, which means that the presence of the beetle who got triggered at 02:29 would've helped me when I was within range of the scorpion at 02:32. If a soldier or beetle is present and you shoot a scorpion, then the scorpion will ignore the soldier/beetle and only go after you. I considered doing this to the scorpion at 02:32 to protect the nearby beetle, but this turned out not to be necessary. I avoided the triggering of two soldiers and two scorpions by doing what I did at 00:25. I slid down at 00:29 so that I could help myself to the secret. I then returned to the beginning so that I could go back up onto the area at 01:20 and then proceed in a way which skipped out a different scorpion and a beetle. Returning at 01:02 did cause the two soldiers and two scorpions to trigger, but by this stage there was a third scorpion, and so the soldiers didn't pose a threat. I collected the level's only secret, which required me to obtain the Armoury Key in Menkaure's Pyramid; something that I did off-screen. I didn't use any glitches, didn't use any healthpacks, only used the Pistols, and saved three times, which is within the limit of three saves. In the next video I will be doing Crash Site, TR3. In the previous video I did Menkaure's Pyramid, TR4.
Old 09-05-22, 09:02   #3
Greenapple968

Crash Site:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJyCJkwcbjY

I successfully managed to complete this level with 0/56 enemies being killed. One threat this level does throw is the fact that the soldiers aren't the only ones who go after the raptors; the raptors go after fellow raptors, and the raptors and T-Rex also go after each other. Because of this I had to ensure that the enemies didn't kill each other, as well as stopping the soldiers from killing any enemies, and not being allowed to kill any enemies myself. I caused a raptor to fall down at 03:46. I did this to keep that raptor and the raptor at 04:04 safe from each other; it stopped them from being able to harm one another.

It was very important to trigger the green dinosaurs at 06:35 and the raptor at 12:57. Not including Lara, this game can only have five active characters at once. An enemy counts as a character, as does an ally. If you have more than five characters present at once then only five of them will be active, whereas the other characters will become inactive. The five characters who are closest to you are the ones who will be active, and the characters that are further away will be inactive. I triggered five green dinosaurs and one raptor, totalling to six characters. There were five raptors in the dark room at 12:10, and there was a huge risk of them killing each other after I left. However, when reaching the area at 12:40, the green dinosaurs would've been closer to me than the five raptors. The presence of the green dinosaurs would've caused the five raptors to become inactive, stopping them from being able to harm one another.

There was a T-Rex and three raptors in the area at 15:42, and there was the risk of them killing each other after I left. Once I had returned to the area at 16:14, the presence of the green dinosaurs and the loose raptor would've caused the dinosaurs at 15:42 to become inactive, meaning that none of them could be harmed. A separate issue with the area at 15:42 was the risk of the green dinosaurs getting killed by the water, but these dinosaurs were clearly still alive when I returned after completing the level.

I entered the level with 51 savegame crystals, which meant that I needed to have 52 crystals in order to be allowed to save, and I didn't go against this rule. I collected all secrets, didn't use any glitches, didn't use any healthpacks, and only used the Pistols. In the next video I will be doing High Security Compound, TR3. In the previous video I did Khufu's Queens Pyramids, TR4.
Old 11-05-22, 11:07   #4
Greenapple968

High Security Compound:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI-L3f3s0Qs

Out of the 25 enemies in this level, there are five enemies who have to be killed in order to glitchlessly complete this level while collecting both secrets. I was successful in completing this level with just 5/25 enemies being killed. I trapped the batsman in the area at 06:38, and I did this to keep him safe and to eliminate the risk of him being a threat. I collected the secret within that area beforehand, which required me to lure him away at times. The gunman at 04:42 needed to be killed because he had a mandatory item, and I killed him with a gate. The batsman at 14:58 needed to be killed as he had a mandatory item, and I let the prisoners take care of him. The gunman at 25:55 had to be killed because he had an item which was needed in order to obtain the second secret. The batsman at 13:59 drops the same item as the gunman at 25:55. Had one of the prisoners killed the batsman at 13:59, then I could've used his item to obtain the secret and kept the gunman at 25:55 alive. Either way, an enemy has to be killed.

The gunmen at 28:43 and 32:45 were the last two mandatory kills, each dropping an item that was needed for level completion. I waited at 31:10 so that the gunmen would follow me into the room and end up getting trapped in there, stopping them from being able to shoot me while using the monkey swings at 31:43 and 33:16. I entered the level with 100 savegame crystals, which meant that I needed to have 101 crystals in order to be allowed to save, and I didn't go against this rule. I collected all secrets, didn't use any glitches, didn't use any healthpacks, and only used the Pistols. In the next video I will be doing RX-Tech Mines, TR3. In the previous video I did Crash Site, TR3.
Old 12-05-22, 10:58   #5
Greenapple968

RX-Tech Mines:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09zc1bHW2Y

Out of the 21 enemies in this level, there is one enemy whose death is unavoidable. I was successful in completing this level with just 1/21 enemies being killed. The one enemy who died was the mutant at 03:57 who got killed by the flamethrower guy. Without glitches, it is impossible to stop the flamethrower guy from killing the mutant. The only way that you can save that mutant is by using glitches, as demonstrated when I did a Glitched Keeping The Enemies Alive Challenge for this level. This time around, I couldn't use any glitches.

I think that the flamethrower guy at 08:38 stepped into the water and killed himself. The plan was for me to kill him with my guns, but this didn't really matter as the important thing was that he died and therefore couldn't harm the mutants. One of the more difficult parts of this level is the area at 08:32. The reason why this area is a pain is because it's common for the mutants to accidentally step into the water and kill themselves. I managed to avoid this, but only by luck.

I entered the level with 51 savegame crystals, which meant that I needed to have 52 crystals in order to be allowed to save, and I didn't go against this rule. I collected all secrets, didn't use any glitches, didn't use any healthpacks, and only used the Pistols. In the next video I will be doing Lud's Gate, TR3. In the previous video I did High Security Compound, TR3.
Old 14-05-22, 10:37   #6
Greenapple968

Lud's Gate:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvUdmCNwjNc

Out of the 17 enemies in this level, there is one enemy who had to be killed. I successfully managed to complete this level with just 1/17 enemies being killed. The one enemy who died was the gunman at 21:49, who dropped the Boiler Key which is a mandatory item. When I did this level with glitches being allowed, no enemies were killed. The reason for this is because it's possible to complete the level without the Boiler Key by using glitches. This time around, glitches were not allowed, and so the Boiler Key was a needed item. The fact that The Damned can't harm the enemies meant that I didn't need to do anything to stop my allies from putting the enemies at risk; I just had to not produce any unnecessary kills myself. I entered the level with 51 savegame crystals, which meant that I needed to have 52 crystals in order to be allowed to save, and I didn't go against this rule. I collected all secrets, didn't use any glitches, didn't use any healthpacks, and only used the Pistols. In the next video I will be doing Area 51, TR3. In the previous video I did RX-Tech Mines, TR3.
Old 16-05-22, 12:48   #7
Greenapple968

Area 51:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkOcYelCHFQ

Out of the 38 enemies in this level, two of them are mandatory kills under these restrictions. I successfully managed to complete this level with just 2/38 enemies being killed. The gunman at 09:10 dropped a mandatory item. As did the gunman at 24:02. When I did this level with glitches being allowed, only one of those enemies had to be killed, and it was the gunman at 24:02. With glitches, the item dropped by the gunman at 09:10 is not a mandatory item. Since glitches were not allowed this time around, both of the items were needed items. There are two allies (prisoners) in this level, both of whom only become active if you release them from locked rooms. To stop them from being able to kill any of the enemies, I simply didn't release the prisoners. There was a bit of lost footage near the end of the level, which resulted in you missing me collect the last secret. I did save during the lost footage, and the footage carried on after a reload. I entered the level with 51 savegame crystals, which meant that I needed to have 52 crystals in order to be allowed to save, and I didn't go against this rule. I collected all secrets, didn't use any glitches, and only used the Pistols. I did use 1.0 healthpack, so this is a level where I didn't avoid using healthpacks. In the next video I will be doing Barkhang Monastery, TR2. In the previous video I did Lud's Gate, TR3.
Old 18-05-22, 11:18   #8
Greenapple968

Barkhang Monastery:

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGB_2DqixTI

Out of the 30 enemies in this level, I successfully managed to complete the level with 0/30 enemies being killed. There are a total of 22 monks in this level. The monks who spawned who were also within range of the gunmen were either killed by myself or the gunmen, stopping them from killing any enemies. I was puzzled by 37:42-39:27; the room at 37:42 was light, and the second gunman didn't spawn. The bunsens never ignited after I obtained the Prayer Wheel, and no gunman spawned in the area at 39:13. At the time I didn't know what caused this, but I have figured it out since recording this level. I collected all secrets, didn't use any glitches, only used the Pistols, and saved five times, which was within the limit of five saves. The thing I'm not happy about is the fact that I used 4.0 healthpacks in this level. In the previous video I did Lud's Gate, TR3. This brings us to the end of the challenge as I have now done a Keeping The Enemies Alive Challenge and Glitchless Keeping The Enemies Alive Challenge for all eight of the intended levels: Barkhang Monastery, High Security Compound, Area 51, Crash Site, Lud's Gate, RX-Tech Mines, Menkaure's Pyramid, and Khufu's Queens Pyramids.