Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 08-11-19, 15:44   #1
paul123456

Default Modding SOTR

Hoping for some help here. I'm totally sick of the outfit restriction ruining my enjoyment of SOTR and since the devs don't seem to give a crap I'm going to try do something about it myself.

I'm thinking of trying to replace the Blue Heron Tunic model with the Tactical Adventurer model in order to (hopefully) bypass the restriction.

I've never modded before in my life so I'm eager to learn and give it a go.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice, or can let me know where I should begin What sort of programs will I need to use? Anything I need to be aware of?

Perhaps I'm being naive in thinking it's going to be straight forward, but I feel as though someone needs to at least try to do this for the community

EDIT: So I've managed to download Gh0stBlade's unpacker and the DRM Dumper. I've managed to find what looks like the Rise of the Tomb Raider outfit model. Just need to try and find the Blue Heron one I guess!

EDIT: Sooo... been doing some looking. I think I need to somehow replace the following files...

paperdoll_piece_tr11_lara_outsider_torso
paperdoll_piece_tr11_lara_outsider_legs

With

paperdoll_piece_tr11_lara_classic_legs
paperdoll_piece_tr11_lara_classic_torso

Because these seem to have the models for the Blue Heron and the Tactical Adventurer outfit. What I'm not sure about is if this would even work... Or even how I would pack the file back up after unpacking it? Any clues anyone?

Last edited by paul123456; 08-11-19 at 17:03.
paul123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 17:17   #2
MBog

Maybe try messaging Gh0stBlade directly ? There are not that many people modding SotTR I think...
But please share the results!
MBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 17:25   #3
paul123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBog View Post
Maybe try messaging Gh0stBlade directly ? There are not that many people modding SotTR I think...
But please share the results!
I don't think he looks at his PMs based on his signature.

I will definitely share the results or do a how to guide if I manage to do it though.
Old 08-11-19, 22:15   #4
Gh0stBlade

You should look at the TR 2013 tools and upgrade them to work with SOTTR engine.

Swapping the meshes directly will not work. You will need to update the material entries as well. Also possibly the shader material references.

Cheers.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-19, 22:48   #5
paul123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stBlade View Post
You should look at the TR 2013 tools and upgrade them to work with SOTTR engine.

Swapping the meshes directly will not work. You will need to update the material entries as well. Also possibly the shader material references.

Cheers.
Thanks for your help. I take it by the TR2013 tools you are referring to the ones mentioned in this thread? https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=216460

Would I just need to edit the files using C++ code?

If those are not the tools where would I find them?

Last edited by paul123456; 08-11-19 at 22:57.
Old 09-11-19, 09:43   #6
paul123456

So I downloaded those files from the previous thread and I've also downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2019.

I've opened the .cpp files in Visual Studio and I'm assuming that I'm updating all references from TR2013 files to be Shadow files?

So for example, any references to patch.000.tiger need to be renamed to bigfile.000.tiger?

And any reference to pcd9 needs to be pcd11.. or pcdtr11?

Sorry very new to this so I am trying to learn as I go along!
Old 09-11-19, 12:29   #7
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul123456 View Post
So I downloaded those files from the previous thread and I've also downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2019. I've opened the .cpp files in Visual Studio and I'm assuming that I'm updating all references from TR2013 files to be Shadow files? So for example, any references to patch.000.tiger need to be renamed to bigfile.000.tiger? And any reference to pcd9 needs to be pcd11.. or pcdtr11? Sorry very new to this so I am trying to learn as I go along!
I doubt we newbies could upgrade the tools to the necessary level without prior knowledge. If it’s even hard for Gh0st, idk...
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-19, 13:20   #8
paul123456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
I doubt we newbies could upgrade the tools to the necessary level without prior knowledge. If it’s even hard for Gh0st, idk...
That's my fear. I deeply want to be able to play without the restriction so I'm trying to exhaust all avenues in order to bypass it. I'm sure, because it's something that's complained about by many, someone's tried to do something before but was unsuccessful. I just feel like I need to give it a go so I can be sure at least someone has tried.

The only other thing I guess I could try is editing my save game. I wonder if theres a string of code somwhere in there that unlocks the outfit restriction once it's post game? If I can find that code, I guess we could try tricking the game into thinking we're post game for restriction purposes only?
Old 09-11-19, 15:47   #9
ANoDE
Golden

Maybe we could somehow patch the executable in-memory (like a trainer) in order to lift the restriction? I'm guessing it's 'just' a matter of overriding
the return value of the restriction-check function to enable outfit switching in Paititi basecamps. Wouldn't fix the automated outfit-switching during cutscenes / when re-entering Paititi, though.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-19, 00:05   #10
Gh0stBlade

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I take it by the TR2013 tools you are referring to the ones mentioned in this thread? https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=216460

Would I just need to edit the files using C++ code?

If those are not the tools where would I find them?
Yes.

Quote:
So I downloaded those files from the previous thread and I've also downloaded and installed Visual Studio 2019.

I've opened the .cpp files in Visual Studio and I'm assuming that I'm updating all references from TR2013 files to be Shadow files?

So for example, any references to patch.000.tiger need to be renamed to bigfile.000.tiger?

And any reference to pcd9 needs to be pcd11.. or pcdtr11?

Sorry very new to this so I am trying to learn as I go along!
No, it's far more complicated than just renaming the bigfile file names. Meaning the actual file format for the tiger archive file system (.tiger) differs between TR2013, ROTTR and SOTTR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
Why not? If you don't try then you'll never succeed

Quote:
That's my fear. I deeply want to be able to play without the restriction so I'm trying to exhaust all avenues in order to bypass it. I'm sure, because it's something that's complained about by many, someone's tried to do something before but was unsuccessful. I just feel like I need to give it a go so I can be sure at least someone has tried.

The only other thing I guess I could try is editing my save game. I wonder if theres a string of code somwhere in there that unlocks the outfit restriction once it's post game? If I can find that code, I guess we could try tricking the game into thinking we're post game for restriction purposes only?
I highly doubt there's something in the save that will unlock this via a flag or something. If there were they'd have included it in the latest update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
Maybe we could somehow patch the executable in-memory (like a trainer) in order to lift the restriction? I'm guessing it's 'just' a matter of overriding
the return value of the restriction-check function to enable outfit switching in Paititi basecamps. Wouldn't fix the automated outfit-switching during cutscenes / when re-entering Paititi, though.
Patching the executable might not be possible due to Denuvo.

Cheers.
Gh0stBlade is offline   Reply With Quote