www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old Yesterday, 21:11   #2501
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyrosMonster View Post
Is this common practice? The game is obviously not chosen as GOTY and it wasn't exactly a top charting game either to justify a re-release.
It just seems a little weird that it's getting re-released physically with just the DLCs and patches on the disc.

I don't know how all this work but if they do sell new special editions too like what you suggested, isn't that a risk for loss of money?
The game has been out for almost a year now and not a whole lot of people are going to be interested in buying special editions for a one year old game.

Am I missing something?
Maybe it won’t be re-released. The “definitive edition content” name found in the SteamDB could just be that. A name.

I don’t think it makes sense to re-release a game that wasn’t a massive MASSIVE hit. Even Rise wasn’t re-released on Xbox. Feels like they’d lose more money than they’d make, but that’s just me.

I CAN however see them releasing a bundle. Something that includes all 3 games from the reboot trilogy and calling it “Survivor Trilogy” or something. That makes the most sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
No, I don't think you are missing anything.

I do wonder how The Witcher 3 and Dark Souls 3 did with their respective Complete and Fire Fades editions.

There might be a particular market or region where these re-releases are effective.

Maybe they're not aiming for a worldwide re-release. Perhaps a Europe only thing? That sure exists, I've seen it.
Those games were enormous successes though, whereas Shadow was just kinda “okay”.

Last edited by SoraSakai; Yesterday at 21:12.
SoraSakai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:31   #2502
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Only they know how "okay" it was

We have EM expressing happiness...

...and we have Square expressing disappointment for its initial performance, but then they always include Tomb Raider among the 3 or 4 games that delivered (overall) high net sales for their fiscal year.

In August or September they should release their full Annual Report. That SHOULD give us more insight. Hopefully (?)
Old Yesterday, 21:48   #2503
DOPE
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Is this common practice?
It quite is; even budget games get them (ReCore comes to mind) and I don't get why Shadow getting one is such a curious thing to you.

Quote:
Am I missing something?
Well, the whole point of complete editions: releasing an edition with all previously released additional content included (typically on disc) and possibly bonus content.
DOPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:50   #2504
SpyrosMonster
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOPE View Post
It quite is; even budget games get them (ReCore comes to mind) and I don't get why Shadow getting one is such a curious thing to you.

Well, the whole point of complete editions: releasing an edition with all previously released additional content included (typically on disc) and possibly bonus content.
I haven't seen it being done like this, that's why it seems weird to me.
I also haven't really followed any other franchise that has gone this route with a game that wasn't a huge hit.

If it is common practice, then good, it makes sense to do it and they'll make money off it, I guess.
It's just that in my eyes it doesn't make much sense.

I have to make it clear that I'm really not questioning this decision just because it's SOTTR.
Any other game with the same amount of success as SOTTR and the same amount of new things that have to offer doesn't need a re-release imo.

Last edited by SpyrosMonster; Yesterday at 22:07.
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:49   #2505
Legends
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I haven't seen it being done like this, that's why it seems weird to me.
I also haven't really followed any other franchise that has gone this route with a game that wasn't a huge hit.

If it is common practice, then good, it makes sense to do it and they'll make money off it, I guess.
It's just that in my eyes it doesn't make much sense.

I have to make it clear that I'm really not questioning this decision just because it's SOTTR.
Any other game with the same amount of success as SOTTR and the same amount of new things that have to offer doesn't need a re-release imo.
It makes sense for them, not for us. We use common sense, they are blinded by greed. They will probably find any excuse to re-release it. You never see these moneysuckers doing anything for free like Insomniac Games, or other developers. They just adapt the scummiest business practices to make more money off their unfinished product instead of actually improving it.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:16   #2506
Robwood
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
It makes sense for them, not for us. We use common sense, they are blinded by greed. They will probably find any excuse to re-release it. You never see these moneysuckers doing anything for free like Insomniac Games, or other developers. They just adapt the scummiest business practices to make more money off their unfinished product instead of actually improving it.
Some just do a bad job of it, as well. Remember the Return to Arkham games? Despite having to be rebuilt from the ground up, they were still the exact same games (made for current consoles) but the graphics were laughable. The environments were improved a bit but the character models looked a lot better on previous generation consoles! Everyone, do yourself a favor and never buy the same game twice under any circumstances.
Old Today, 02:59   #2507
SoraSakai
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robwood View Post
Some just do a bad job of it, as well. Remember the Return to Arkham games? Despite having to be rebuilt from the ground up, they were still the exact same games (made for current consoles) but the graphics were laughable. The environments were improved a bit but the character models looked a lot better on previous generation consoles! Everyone, do yourself a favor and never buy the same game twice under any circumstances.
It was the only way you could play the Arkham games (Asylum & City) on the PS4 as there’s no backwards compatibility.

There was backwards compatibility on the Xbox so you didn’t HAVE to buy it for that system unless you wanted the higher resolution and updated graphics.

So it’s not like there wasn’t a point to it. I also disagree about the previous generation versions of the Arkham games looking better. I really like the improvements made in the Return to Arkham version and I also don’t have to dust off my PS3 every time I want to play them.
Old Today, 05:36   #2508
veigafd
Archaeologist

Imo the chances of them doing a complete Edition is quite high considering the evidence and coming soon.
Just watch as they do a super trailer showing a Lot of DLC scenes, as If people couldn't buy in the Croft Edition in the first place, and putting catchphrases as "the definitive Edition is here", watch as Lara goes in her defining moment in this definitive Edition with the definitive extra DLC.