Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 30-07-20, 21:10   #71
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombkrc View Post
Unless it is the point of the story or creative work to showcase a group or a type of person, representation should always be done in an organic way, where sexual orientation and even stuff like gender identities should only be one facet of the character, and not the entire character.
Which is what was going to happen, if Crystal agreed with Rhi's ideas for TR2013 (way before the pandering you're talking about that happens nowadays)
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-20, 21:46   #72
tomblover

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombkrc View Post
I completely disagree.
If you create a character with only the intention of representing demographics and making them as visible as possible, you've failed as a creator/storyteller.
Unless it is the point of the story or creative work to showcase a group or a type of person, representation should always be done in an organic way, where sexual orientation and even stuff like gender identities should only be one facet of the character, and not the entire character.
You're missing the point. I'm not saying it should be the only intention - in my previous post (as quoted by @Yeauxleaux), I did say I hate when characters are made to be inclusive and nothing else, since it makes them stand out as not having a real purpose in the narrative, which reflects negatively on their minority status in the end.

Depending on the kind of story that's being told, a character's sexuality or gender identity may or may not be relevant at all, and that's fine. I just think, there's got to be some kind of balance that can be struck, where the character isn't just a meaningless symbol of diversity.

You know, whether that's because their sexuality/gender identity is all there is to them, or because it can be ignored - which, if you write a character with any traits that can be ignored, in my opinion, you've failed as a writer.

Maybe what I'm asking for are more LGBT stories, rather than more LGBT characters outside of them, where their queerness isn't necessarily a factor...

Last edited by tomblover; 30-07-20 at 21:49.
tomblover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 12:11   #73
milkshake364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I have no issues with Lara being bi or gay (though I subscribe to Core's timeline in which Lara was clearly into Kurtis so in my book, she's bi, pan or straight) but Sam is such an annoying, badly written character. Come up with a good character who'd actually make for an interesting love interest and I'll be all for it. (I mean, unless they've seriously overhauled their writing process and/or team, I don't think they will be able to come up with a character like that or pull off a good romance sideplot but maybe they will someday get around to fixing whatever is clearly broken with their writing process.)
Same! I found Sam (and most of the TR 2013 characters) quite dull so can't see Lara x Sam.

I do think with Lara her sexuality is whatever you want it to be.

Last edited by milkshake364; 04-08-20 at 12:19.
milkshake364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 12:53   #74
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I have no issues with Lara being bi or gay (though I subscribe to Core's timeline in which Lara was clearly into Kurtis so in my book, she's bi, pan or straight) but Sam is such an annoying, badly written character. Come up with a good character who'd actually make for an interesting love interest and I'll be all for it. (I mean, unless they've seriously overhauled their writing process and/or team, I don't think they will be able to come up with a character like that or pull off a good romance sideplot but maybe they will someday get around to fixing whatever is clearly broken with their writing process.)
This! OMG I agree with this so much!

Like my personal headcanon is that Lara is straight (probably because the Top Cow comics were a big part of my Tomb Raider experience even though they weren't canon) but I always liked that the games never focused on any of that and personally would prefer it to stay that way.

But there's this comic book artist I love, Stjepan Šejić, that made some fanart of Lara and Wonder Woman and while I personally don't ship it I could see the appeal. But Sam? OMG! Talk about a NOTP!
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 15:50   #75
Ellioft

Wait ! You are saying that the man who have drawn Harleen is the one who have drawned a full Lara x Wonder Woman ship ?
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-20, 17:09   #76
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
Wait ! You are saying that the man who have drawn Harleen is the one who have drawned a full Lara x Wonder Woman ship ?
Yes, Stjepan Šejić aka Nebezial, the same artist behind Harleen, has indeed made a few comic pages of a Lara Croft x Wonder Woman crossover.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote