www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 05-07-18, 16:53   #1
Samz
Professor

Default Anyone else find Lara and Von Croy's relationship weird?

So in the past they go on a that Angkor wat thing, Lara leaves him then (presumably) came back to get help to free him, Flash foward to TR4, He still very much hates Lara, so much so he hires those Desert Warrior guys to kill her (since he only gets possessed by Seth later),
Then in the end he tries to save her (then spend a long time digging for her.)

Flashback to New York for Chronicles, where Lara (presumably off her medication for sociopathy ) kills a significant chunk of his work force (including unarmed workers if going for all secrets), then either Von Croy or the Old Guy (which apparently some promotional Material Call his dad) Call a ATTACK HELICOPTER on their own building to kill Lara, Sure it gives a reason for him to still hate her by the time of 4, but he has VIDEO FOOTAGE of Lara in VCI so why doesn't he just get the police involved?, and if he still has amount of caring for her left, why didn't his Dad?

Sometime between Prologue of 4 and the rest of 4 (according to that picture in his apartment in AOD) An Adult Lara took part in some sort of excavation with Von Croy. (though its possibly it was reluctantly), then AOD complicates it with Lara saying "If I wanted to kill Werner, I would have done that in Egypt!" as a possible Conversation topic to Carvier...except uhhh Lara you did, you tried to shoot him when he locked you in that temple.

So does Von Croy hate her or not? I always found their relationship weird, its almost like they're both extremely Tsundere to each other for lack of a better word.

Last edited by Samz; 05-07-18 at 16:54.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-18, 17:24   #2
Zreen001
Professor

1) VonCroy in AoD was originally going to be Jean-Yves before Jean-Yves was scrapped from Chronicles.

2) VonCroy's animosity toward Lara is understandable in TR4 after learning about the VCI episode (more than simply holding a 15-year grudge after an accident in a Cambodian temple). Maybe Set's possession caused a personality shift or brain damage (hence why Lara was so hesitant to let VonCroy help Lara at the end). That, or VonCroy never really cared about his father's workplace and was just using it as an excuse to get back at Lara for crushing his legs in the accident, then suddenly realizing with Lara dead there'd be no one for him to chase or manipulate.

3) Lara had many chances to kill VonCroy in TR4, but she was more focused on following Jean-Yve's advice on obtaining the Armor than she was in stopping VonCroy and Lara didn't know if killing VonCroy would even work. After the end, when VonCroy and Lara met up again after the Bedouins healed her up (the picture Lara steps on in the apartment shows they at least weren't trying to outright kill each other -- unless that was also meant to be a Jean-Yves thing and not VonCroy). Plus Lara did try at least disarming or scaring VonCroy before he locked her in the Tomb of Semerkhet.
Old 05-07-18, 22:37   #3
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

Though the TR4 timeline VC doesn’t like Lara as she was a cocky teenager who didn’t listen to him and she left him to die at Ankor Wat. Throughout the game Lara believes she freed Set and that the end of the world is coming due to her actions so she has to set things right, while VC is after the Amulet of Horus and his Armor for personal and archeological reasons. Whenever they meet she usually says something to him about what’s going on and he dismisses her and usually calls it “magical hocus pocus”. Even at Ankor Wat she warned him not to touch the Iris but VC in his stubbornness didn’t listen.

Lara and VC see each other as adversaries throughout the game. Lara gets interrupted by his goons and has to take them out while he thinks she’s just doing it for fun. She’s doing it to save the world. He just wants the amulet and armor to have and I guess put in a museum or become famous for finding them or whatever his plans were. He doesn’t believe her when she says Armageddon is coming. “Ah yes, rebinding the spirit of Set, putting the armor on the statue at midnight at the turn of the millennium, so on and such like. I was never a believer in this magical hocus pocus.” She outfoxes him and his goons time and time again. That’s pretty annoying when you don’t take into consideration what she’s saying and you just assume she’s doing it to show off and rub it in your face.

It isn’t until he’s possessed by Set in Cairo and locked in the room under the Citadel that he finally realizes that she is indeed telling the truth. The world is going to end. Monsters, giant scorpions, red skies, storms.. all of it is true. He managed to catch up to her outside the pyramid at the end and that’s his sort of apology to her. He was wrong and she was right. She knew it when she saw him and asked “You back Werner? No more Set?” and he said “I couldn’t leave you”.
He finally changed then.

Not sure exactly on what happened after she was buried, he dug through the pyramid to find her backpack, but she was already saved by the priestess Bedouin tribe woman who nursed her back to health. Lara claims that VC walked away and left her, which isn’t true from what we know.

Unless there’s a cut thing from AOD where VC catches up to Lara and the priestess and leaves her there. Dunno!
Old 06-07-18, 07:58   #4
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebsenuef View Post

Unless there’s a cut thing from AOD where VC catches up to Lara and the priestess and leaves her there. Dunno!
Yeah, apparently He did eventually find her there, but she wanted to stay with them and Von Croy eventually gave up trying to Presuade her and left her backpack with her, then the Tribe died somehow while she was out doing something (I think I heard it was a rival tribe or something?) so she reluctantly returned to London.

Honestly I quite like Von Croy/Lara's relationship (I wasn't glad when he died, unlike Roth who I was VERY happy to see permantly shut up "YOUR A CROFT LARA") its just the fact he calls the Desert Warriors at the start of 4 that always confused me.
Old 06-07-18, 13:21   #5
Ruu11
Historian

Which I found more weird is the fact that someone from Core Design said that Lara was in love with him... wtf

But yes, their relationship is kinda weird.
Actually, AoD Von Croy doesn't even seem to be the same person from TR4
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 13:24   #6
Zreen001
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruu11 View Post
Which I found more weird is the fact that someone from Core Design said that Lara was in love with him... wtf

So even back in 2003, Lara had daddy issues...
Old 06-07-18, 13:47   #7
Ruu11
Historian

^ HELL NOfajlkgljksa
Lara's man is and will always be Mr. Kurtis Trent

Last edited by Ruu11; 12-07-18 at 09:14.
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 14:20   #8
Samz
Professor

Quote:

ohh, while I can see Von Croy possibly becoming the person he was in AOD (fearful for his life and possibly regretting his actions from TR4), that "Lara in love with him" thing is intresting, can you possibly link the quote? I'm curious, I wanna see when this was said.
Old 06-07-18, 15:54   #9
HarleyCroft
Explorer

Quote:
What the?

If Lara did have a schoolgirl crush on him at first, it was probably dissolved once he said "I am weary of this. Pull the lever now, Miss Croft" in a mean, dismissive way and then somehow got stuck in a really slow moving, easily escapeable trap and presumably died.

After that, she treats him like an uncle.
HarleyCroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-18, 16:24   #10
Quebsenuef
Tomb Raider

Location: In Rafe Adler's Arms|Gender: Pyramid Head|Superpower: Dirty Tricks Mode|Color: I'm Freakin' Gray

I think it was VC in the events of Ankor Wat that gets a little too creepy around her.

“You’re a regular superhero, Werner.”
“Ah yes, a superman? *creepy laugh*

I don’t think Lara had any sort of feelings towards him at all. Besides, he already looked ancient when she was young
He’s gotta be 109 by the time AOD happens.