www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Angel of Darkness

Old 10-08-18, 17:34   #1
Enigma92
Student

Default Hell imagery

Hi, I'm writing a dissertation on computer games and, among my selection, have chosen to write about The Angel of Darkness.

I'm on a section where I'm exploring hellish imagery in the game. I know there were quite a few promotional materials with the phrase 'Out of the tombs...Into Hell!' but I can't for the life of me find them. Would anyone here happen to have access to such promotional images and be awesome enough to share? Sorry if this is a very unusual thread to be posting.
Enigma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 18:08   #2
Maverin
Explorer

So what you're looking for are basically old articles trashing this game? Is it crucial that they have the word 'hell' in them?
Old 10-08-18, 18:11   #3
WWETombRaider
Relic Hunter

^ I read that as they're looking for promotional material with the tagline "Out of the tombs... into hell" on it. I think that's what OP meant.
WWETombRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 18:38   #4
moodydog
Relic Hunter

nvidia

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/game_tombraider_aod.html
moodydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 18:40   #5
Enigma92
Student

Hey,

I'm really just looking for anything that evokes these types of ideas. I'm using semiotic analysis, which involves looking at various words or images that conjure ideas of hell. So far I've mentioned the extent of fire used in the game (box art with flames behind Lara, 'The Sanctuary of the Flame', 'The Angel of Darkness' = The Devil).

I vaguely remember seeing the phrase 'Out of the tombs...Into Hell' from somewhere during the game's promotion but couldn't find an image of it online. I'd like to collect as many references to hell as I can find so I'm currently after anything with that phrase on it, or anything similar for that matter. But if you say its in some old magazines I'll have a looksie for some, probably over on Ash's Tomb Raider Tumblr I assume.

Edit 1: Thanks moodydog!

Edit 2: Jeeze! Knew I had seen it somewhere. Its on the back of the Prima guide. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by Enigma92; 10-08-18 at 18:51.
Enigma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 20:00   #6
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

'Out of the tombs...Into Hell!'

Well we did get out of the tombs, till we reached the Tomb of the Ancients

Also we were totally in hell right from the start with the hellish PC controls
Old 10-08-18, 20:14   #7
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
'Out of the tombs...Into Hell!'

Well we did get out of the tombs, till we reached the Tomb of the Ancients

Also we were totally in hell right from the start with the hellish PC controls
I know its a little off-topic but what exactly are the problems with PC controls for AOD? Lara turns a little sluggishly but I never really found them a problem, the combat strafing was terrible admittingly.

Last edited by Samz; 10-08-18 at 20:15.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-18, 21:33   #8
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Don't get me started with the controls

OK, he he. Sluggish, your right, as agile as a military tank, move forward, spin to a direction, move forward, spin, etc

And as for judging her jumping distance, well, she died every second jump as I could not calculate where she would land.

Combat strafing was terrible admittingly..Agreed.

Overall: All the previous games, and the later games had a natural flow to her movements with the controls, so much so, that you did not have to think about it. It was as though you were Lara.

AOD, was none of that, you had to think every move, and usually that meant saving and dying ever five minutes.

Its a great storyline, the best in the Tomb Raider series, a lot going for it, but we have to suffer the PC controls which are just diabolical.
Old 10-08-18, 23:10   #9
_Seth
Historian

What you're talking about was on the back of the Prima PS2 guide, which I always loved the design of.

Here, I took a photo for you.

Old 11-08-18, 07:22   #10
Maverin
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Chi View Post
All the previous games, and the later games had a natural flow to her movements with the controls, so much so, that you did not have to think about it. It was as though you were Lara.

AOD, was none of that, you had to think every move, and usually that meant saving and dying ever five minutes. Its a great storyline, the best in the Tomb Raider series, a lot going for it, but we have to suffer the PC controls which are just diabolical.
Hi Chi. Have you ever tried the control patch from Sasho? It fixes almost all the control issues except for those in combat. As for the calculations, you're right. In the first 5 installments it was just a matter of getting used to when to jump and how far she could jump. After a while you could then perfectly calculate where she would end up landing. The reason why this does no longer apply to AOD is because of the strength upgrades, you don't have the time to perfectly master her jumping distance because it changes ever so often as you progress. A little inconvenient I have to admit, but certainly no game breaker. It all depends on how fast you can adjust yourself to the longer jump distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
What you're talking about was on the back of the Prima PS2 guide, which I always loved the design of.

Here, I took a photo for you.
Beautiful cover. I have to say, despite the chaos this game went through, it had some lovely artwork

Last edited by Maverin; 11-08-18 at 07:23.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote