Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 06-09-19, 01:02   #1
fallenangle

Default TR1(PC) - Minimum Damage Run

I've done this before but not for some time. Noticing a few things either new to me or I'd forgotten about - like the shortcut jump over the rocks in the Colosseum which means you can cut out all the stuff under the arena.

Has anyone beaten those three wolves in the Tomb Of Tichocan room which you drop into without using the shotgun? This has been the only place I've felt I've had to use anything but the twin pistols/default weapon in a 'no scratch' run through any TR. I've even beaten Willard in TR3 just using the pistols. I tried and suspect it is possible here but the wolf formation is so unpredictable there would seem to be a huge element of luck. If you even just drop onto one then it is instant damage.

Has anyone had Pierre refuse to disappear (2nd time) at the Colosseum despite being peppered with hundreds of rounds?
fallenangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 06:12   #2
ANoDE
Golden

I think for the Pierre problem it's vital that he goes off-camera for him to disappear. If you keep him visible all the time, he'll just stay. At least that's my impression.
ANoDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 11:28   #3
Maverin

Ah yes the wolves. There is an element of luck required but it's definitely doable. Just save and reload and go with the trial and error element. As soon as you can land Lara and start running without taking a hit, save again, and so on.

I had the same with Pierre. Make sure he has taken enough damage, and remember 'the longer the distance, the fewer damage he takes'. Then you have to give him a chance to go off camera and disappear.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 12:28   #4
fallenangle

I thought about using a save when landing safely but it felt wrong. I do, occasionally, save my way through difficult areas when doing a run like this but it feels a bit cheap.

I found using a roll when she recovers from the drop landing often worked to avoid the first attack set and I'd get one or even two of the wolves quite easily if I jumped LC back from there. But the third one circles differently each time and often comes in from left or right without LC locking on.

Not being able to do the tricky but useful forward jump with mid-air twist in TR1, my preferred technique in this sort of case, makes it more difficult. Here if you roll on landing from a forward jump that's when the wolf tends to get her.

On that second Pierre encounter where he refused to disappear, which also includes a new lion I actually dropped down into the arena and killed the lion from there. I tried the same thing with Pierre and thought I'd got him. However when LC climbed out I noticed him running back from the shrouded side of the arena so I hid LC in the nearby enclosed area near the first opened door.

Pierre arrived at the rocks near the climb out point so I moved LC around the 'pillar' and took some shots. He went into his shooting position so I jumped back, went around the other side and running and jumping I somehow closed on him without getting hit. I then used the usual run behind, roll, fire technique.

He started to run off back towards the exit and I thought that was it but instead of continuing he turned around and tried to loose off some more shots. So I ran at and past him again did the same roll and fire thing, he ran back towards the rocks, turned and again went into the shooting posture.

I think we did about three rounds of this before he final tagged her and even then he did not run off. The fight could have gone on forever if I hadn't ended it.

On reload I confronted him from a completely different position closer to the exit and and he disappeared down the passage towards the entrance to the building very quickly and did not return.
Old 06-09-19, 14:17   #5
Neo_v23

In my opinion, killing the 3 dogs in Tomb of Qualopec with pistols and getting away with no scratch is mostly luck. Of course it needs a nice strategy, but that's only like 10-20%, the rest is luck. Also if you notice, sometimes when you shoot from a distance (about 3-4 blocks away for example), sometimes it takes 4 double-shots to kill a wolf, other times it takes 5, and in very rare cases maybe 6. I assume that's because Lara's aiming depends a little on luck, too. So i've come to the conclusion that in order to beat'em, you'll have to try until you get lucky.

Now about Pierre in Colosseum. He's pretty easy and he definetely dissapears after a while. Maybe it takes like 100 shots because he runs across the other side of the Colosseum, so maybe Lara misses or she inflicts less damage? I've encountered this in TR1, too. When an enemy is too far away, it takes way more shots to kill him. So, i advise patience.
Neo_v23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 15:15   #6
fallenangle

You can tell when Pierre is being hit because you get blood spray and this time was no different. I could not have much closer and must have put in at least a hundred shots before he got one hit.

Longer distances, yes, it does take more shots for a kill, I've noticed that in all the games but usually you still see the blood if you're getting hits even at range. With the wolves here the hit chance % can be crucial in the relatively small area. One more shot to kill can be the difference between success and LC being last gasp nibbled.
Old 06-09-19, 17:35   #7
Neo_v23

Well, you made my curiosity raise about this dog part, so i went for some trials

I found out that there is probably no "guaranteed success" way to deal with them and not take damage at all. There is the "luck" factor as stated in previous post, but i tried to find a way with higher possibility to succeed. I have tried several methods, but i choose this one as the most effective

1) First, stay as far left as possible

2) Roll 3 times to fall, and whilst falling, immediately pick up pistols

3) Start firing (she will probably start firing the wolf in the picture)

4) Jump to the right as soon as possible (the first wolf should be dead, so start aiming at another wolf). Also the wolf that approaches you, will probably never be quick enough to bite you in this spot

5) As soon as you land, immediately jump to the left

6) When you land, immediately roll

7) And immediately roll again

Tip: When falling and drawing guns, she might aim to the far left wolf, so better tap fast 3-4 times the action button to change for sure Laras aiming to the far right wolf

If the moves are executed as above, in my experience, Lara will be scratchless 30-40% of the time. It's 5-6 specific movements that work sometimes. I suppose it's better than going randomly down there without a plan.

If you want to give it a try, let me know the results.
Neo_v23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 19:54   #8
ian2006

You could try the breaking tiles glitch and use the walk button and teleport to the bottom with the guns already out.
ian2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-19, 01:24   #9
fallenangle

Now that would undoubtedly be cheating.

Thanks Neo_v23 for that. I'm too far past that to go back but when I've finished the run through I'll return to Qualopec (corrected - I always get it mixed up with Tichocan) and try those suggested techniques/sequence.
Old 07-09-19, 02:39   #10
TombRaiderTim

Minimal damage is a problem once it comes to The Great Pyramid when re-entering the Scion Room.
TombRaiderTim is offline   Reply With Quote