Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 06-12-22, 19:06   #12711
Xilurm

Surprised no one has posted this in here yet.

If anything the next TR is going to look amazing.

Xilurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-22, 19:36   #12712
lance6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post

If anything the next TR is going to look amazing.

Who cares about graphics when the plot/story is going to be trash?
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-22, 20:22   #12713
Jamise_Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
Who cares about graphics when the plot/story is going to be trash?
I mean the gameplay is more important, Tomb raider was never a thing for the story

Last edited by Jamise_Croft; 06-12-22 at 20:45.
Jamise_Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-22, 20:33   #12714
JuditePrince12

Graphics are almost completely irrelevant when it comes to making a great game. IMO I think its 90% gameplay and 10% graphics. I wish CD would stop pitching the UE thing to us as well. It's not really hitting, mostly because I don't care and they have yet to actually give us interesting gameplay details. When I hear that you're going to unite the classics with the new series, how pretty a pixel is going to look on screen is the last thing I want to be told.
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-22, 22:39   #12715
killchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
Because we're not game developers.

I'm sure that these improvements will streamline their workflow by a lot, but all we see of a videogame is the final product.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-22, 23:09   #12716
PinkyPromise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamise_Croft View Post
I mean the gameplay is more important, Tomb raider was never a thing for the story
I agree. Exploration, puzzles, tombs is the most important
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 10:49   #12717
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuditePrince12 View Post
Graphics are almost completely irrelevant when it comes to making a great game. IMO I think its 90% gameplay and 10% graphics. I wish CD would stop pitching the UE thing to us as well. It's not really hitting, mostly because I don't care and they have yet to actually give us interesting gameplay details. When I hear that you're going to unite the classics with the new series, how pretty a pixel is going to look on screen is the last thing I want to be told.
I have to say, I agree with this. But the majority of the gaming community clearly don't. That's why the past generation has had an abundance of RPG- baron yet pretty open world - Lite games chock full of collectibles - it's what seemed to be hitting with the general audience. You often see comments of people completely disregarding games because the graphics aren't exactly where they think they should be.

Fortunately, I feel like things have kinda plateaued now. The race for hyper-realistic graphics seems to be slowing with more emphasis being put on AI and how well games can run/load their environments etc which is great. Whilst moving to UE5 will make achieving good graphics far easier and be more consistent with other studios that use it - so I'm hoping CD can put their efforts where they're more needed i.e the gameplay and story.

Last edited by jajay119; 07-12-22 at 11:05.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 11:13   #12718
TankGirl

Graphics are meaningless if your game is a hallway simulator (calisto protocol being the most recent example).
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 11:25   #12719
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl View Post
Graphics are meaningless if your game is a hallway simulator (calisto protocol being the most recent example).
Hallway simulator (CD were particularly guilty of that in the LAU era) or copy paste open world areas (more reboot era) - it doesn't really matter which one you're going for. If the world is a copy-paste-a-thon of textures of course it will look good - but if it's boring to be in then it doesn't really matter.

Personally I want TR to go back to being a more linear experience with padded out side exploration. Think more LAU style levels but with the crypts and tombs of the reboot era along the way in more inventively hidden places. I'm sick of the open world trend and I don't think it's added anything really to the TR spirit that could be done without the hubs post reboot era. To me TR is less about hubs with arbitrary paths to get to the same place stuffed with collect-athon challenges and RPG elements and more about a focused experience that uses the player's awareness of the environment to expand the playing experience. A classic example is the hallways from LAU. Those added nothing to the game experience but could easily have been replaced with some extended platforming sections (think Tomb of Qualopec for example) which would have felt more at home in the series. The same for the endless amounts of time Lara crawled through a crack in the reboot era - just make it so you have to do something which slows Lara down in a more meaningful way. Take the time to have the player think 'how do I get out of here' not just take 30 seconds to squeeze through a crack or endlessly knock bricks out of a wall to load the next area.

CD have never made ugly games. This isn't an area they should be worrying about. But UE5 making those great graphics easier to achieve, in premise, should hopefully free them up to address areas of their games that do need the focus.

Last edited by jajay119; 07-12-22 at 11:30.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-22, 11:42   #12720
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankGirl View Post
I heard there is still loading little cutscenes like passing through a crack and crawling like the reboot games. When will we get away from this ?
Hope with UE5 and the next TR to be potentially new gen exclusive we are ahead of this.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote