Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 28-05-20, 23:16   #41
LNSNHGTDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baslakor View Post
Thanks for the reference!

I think the comparison between TR1 and TRLR Egypt is really interested. TR1 Egypt feels like the result of a single brainstorm session: Mummies, hieroglyphs, pyramids, Sphinxes etc. It's not even linked to a specific era or location. In TRLR on the other hand you can clearly see they did a lot of research, showing different culture's and time periods.

(That said, TR1 Egypt is probably still my favorite level in the classics).
I really appreciate both approaches because Last Revelation Egypt is based on all of these amazing sites and cities in Egypt and while TR1/A Egypt is only based on the "concept" of Egypt, the levels still feel genuine and you can tell that yes, what I'm playing right now feels like it could be an actual Egyptian temple that hasn't been discovered by anyone but Lara.
LNSNHGTDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 18:39   #42
smoogie7

Quote:
Thanks for the reference!

I think the comparison between TR1 and TRLR Egypt is really interested. TR1 Egypt feels like the result of a single brainstorm session: Mummies, hieroglyphs, pyramids, Sphinxes etc. It's not even linked to a specific era or location. In TRLR on the other hand you can clearly see they did a lot of research, showing different culture's and time periods.

(That said, TR1 Egypt is probably still my favorite level in the classics).
I will always chose the TR1 Egypt levels over those of TR4 but I would have no problem seeing some mixture of features in a level.

Worth to add I have played your level 'Legacy of the Scion' and thought that it is one of the best that I have ever played aside from having a few small issues near the end part.

The Atlantean mummies of course have a lot more over any other 'supernatural' type creature that Lara has ever encountered since as well.
smoogie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-20, 18:49   #43
Baslakor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNSNHGTDS View Post
I really appreciate both approaches because Last Revelation Egypt is based on all of these amazing sites and cities in Egypt and while TR1/A Egypt is only based on the "concept" of Egypt, the levels still feel genuine and you can tell that yes, what I'm playing right now feels like it could be an actual Egyptian temple that hasn't been discovered by anyone but Lara.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoogie7 View Post
I will always chose the TR1 Egypt levels over those of TR4 but I would have no problem seeing some mixture of features in a level.

Worth to add I have played your level 'Legacy of the Scion' and thought that it is one of the best that I have ever played aside from having a few small issues near the end part.

The Atlantean mummies of course have a lot more over any other 'supernatural' type creature that Lara has ever encountered since as well.
Thanks Smoogie, glad to hear you enjoyed it!

I was working in Egypt for 2 years so it gave me the opportunity to visit most of these places in real life (made a little Tomb Raider roadtrip). Of course some of the places don't exist (anymore) and clearly non of the places are as huge and epic as in the game (pyramids are probably larger irl), but it was really cool to see all the inspiration and references!

Last edited by Baslakor; 03-06-20 at 18:57.
Baslakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 07:01   #44
smoogie7

Quote:
Thanks Smoogie, glad to hear you enjoyed it!

I was working in Egypt for 2 years so it gave me the opportunity to visit most of these places in real life (made a little Tomb Raider roadtrip). Of course some of the places don't exist (anymore) and clearly non of the places are as huge and epic as in the game (pyramids are probably larger irl), but it was really cool to see all the inspiration and references!
It has been claimed that satalite technology can work out if there are places underground and this could have hinted that there is more to Egypt to be discovered. A few years ago some mummies had also been found in one area as well so Egypt has still not been fully explored so there is more for Lara to visit.

I really hope to see another level like that of the Legacy of the Scion again. The only problem I have had is jumping onto a ledge right at the top of the cat Spinx so not yet completed but other than that the level has been a very classic raid.

I will add that it is also more scary than the original Egypt levels which only got more edgy once you went into the Sanctuary of the Scion and the panthers, crocodiles and mummys had been replaced by flesh Atlanteans and centors. One thing I like in TR1 was how the intensity of the enemies would gradually increase through the game so you progressed from being scared of the wolves to being weirded out by the strange Atlantean pods much later in the game
Old 04-06-20, 12:56   #45
Yeauxleaux

I agree on that. I always liked how the early Tomb Raider games would start out quite grounded and later start throwing progressively wackier stuff at you. Some of them turned into borderline survival horror by the end.

I think Atlantis as a whole was genius, because it subverted popular tropes of Atlantis being this serene peaceful utopia. When people think of "Atlantis" a horrific setting with pulsating fleshy walls, blood running everywhere and fleshless creatures stalking you is NOT the typical image. It's shocking and memorable for that reason. This is one of the things I hate most about Anniversary, how downplayed it was in their love of making literally everything grey and beige.

The idea of going so vertical in St Francis Folly is also iconic, though I think it couldn't be fully realised with the relatively limited platforming mechanics (had it appeared in TR3-5 instead, with all the new moves Lara had at that point, just imagine). In this instance I think the Anniversary version blew it out of the water.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-20, 15:46   #46
Baslakor

Quote:
It has been claimed that satalite technology can work out if there are places underground and this could have hinted that there is more to Egypt to be discovered. A few years ago some mummies had also been found in one area as well so Egypt has still not been fully explored so there is more for Lara to visit.
In the city of Luxor (formerly Thebes, where you can also find Karnak) there is a saying that if you'd dig a hole in your backyard, you'd probably find a tomb or temple. Not that hard to believe since the city has hundreds of archaeological sites, temples and tombs. The famous ones are crowded with tourists, but the 'smaller' ones are easily overshadowed, even though these temples alone would be worth the trip to Egypt. You can spend weeks there before seeing it all. Same goes for the Mediterranean Sea near Alexandria or the vast desert. It's really a mythical country!

Quote:
I really hope to see another level like that of the Legacy of the Scion again. The only problem I have had is jumping onto a ledge right at the top of the cat Spinx so not yet completed but other than that the level has been a very classic raid.

I will add that it is also more scary than the original Egypt levels which only got more edgy once you went into the Sanctuary of the Scion and the panthers, crocodiles and mummys had been replaced by flesh Atlanteans and centors. One thing I like in TR1 was how the intensity of the enemies would gradually increase through the game so you progressed from being scared of the wolves to being weirded out by the strange Atlantean pods much later in the game
I love those mummies. They really scared me as a kid and with good reason. Playing smart you never have to fight more than 2 at the same time (most can be avoided), but the threat of them being there, activating if you mess up, really adds to the horror I think.

I heard about that bug, but thought it was fixed. The problem is that the editor can be really hard to work with, with a lot of things that should work, simply don't. Unfortunately I don't have the old files anymore, but if you're interested I can download and replay the game and send you a save-file?

Quote:
I agree on that. I always liked how the early Tomb Raider games would start out quite grounded and later start throwing progressively wackier stuff at you. Some of them turned into borderline survival horror by the end.
I think there's an argument online that Tomb Raider is actually a horror game. For the first three, I definitely think there's some truth in it. The games just have a 'something is not right here' vibe. Whether it's the first mummy in Qualopec's tomb that just falls over, or the monkeys that suddenly get more agressive when you near the temple. It's not always 'in your face', but that only adds to the suspense.
Old 04-06-20, 18:57   #47
smoogie7

Quote:
In the city of Luxor (formerly Thebes, where you can also find Karnak) there is a saying that if you'd dig a hole in your backyard, you'd probably find a tomb or temple. Not that hard to believe since the city has hundreds of archaeological sites, temples and tombs. The famous ones are crowded with tourists, but the 'smaller' ones are easily overshadowed, even though these temples alone would be worth the trip to Egypt. You can spend weeks there before seeing it all. Same goes for the Mediterranean Sea near Alexandria or the vast desert. It's really a mythical country!
My hope is that more discoveries can still be made in the future

Quote:
I love those mummies. They really scared me as a kid and with good reason. Playing smart you never have to fight more than 2 at the same time (most can be avoided), but the threat of them being there, activating if you mess up, really adds to the horror I think.
In your level I managed to deal with the army of them in the tiled floor by following the walkthrough. My rule in TR1 was to always find safe ground.

Quote:
I heard about that bug, but thought it was fixed. The problem is that the editor can be really hard to work with, with a lot of things that should work, simply don't. Unfortunately I don't have the old files anymore, but if you're interested I can download and replay the game and send you a save-file?
How do I send the save file? You can send me a PM if you want?

Quote:
I think there's an argument online that Tomb Raider is actually a horror game. For the first three, I definitely think there's some truth in it. The games just have a 'something is not right here' vibe. Whether it's the first mummy in Qualopec's tomb that just falls over, or the monkeys that suddenly get more agressive when you near the temple. It's not always 'in your face', but that only adds to the suspense.
I see the original game as more of a thriller. It was actually the Peru levels that feel the most edgy due to the fact that a lot of the areas are grey and ruinous. I have often suspected that the mummies in Tomb of Qualopec were meant to have come alive only for their trigger points to be removed for some reason
Old 04-06-20, 19:20   #48
Baslakor

Quote:

How do I send the save file? You can send me a PM if you want?

I see the original game as more of a thriller. It was actually the Peru levels that feel the most edgy due to the fact that a lot of the areas are grey and ruinous. I have often suspected that the mummies in Tomb of Qualopec were meant to have come alive only for their trigger points to be removed for some reason
I send you a PM about this.

About the mummies with Qualepec: It's probably the only time in TR where it's accepted that ancient technology might not work anymore after being locked up in a musky tomb for thousands of years...