www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 23-03-18, 12:01   #51
JimbobJeffers
Student

That's alright, I'll admit I've been aware of this since I first made the textures, but it didn't bother me and no one brought it up so I put it on my backlog, prioritising new textures. Not to sound ungrateful in the slightest, I'm glad you've brought it up! :P

Mipmaps will be my first port of call, I like your suggestion of faded details.

For those interested in following progress, I've uploaded a spreadsheet with the textures as I do them. There are a dozen or so DRM files for Croft Manor, with only the first presented on the sheet thus far, so although I've finished those textures for the original Texmod release it's going to take a while to clean them up and port them across to my new setup.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
JimbobJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-18, 17:29   #52
Shing
Student

I think it's possible to eliminate that shimmering simply by using anti-aliasing or playing on higher resolution. At least i had an experience with it. It's possible to tweak mipmap details in Battlefield 1942. When i use too low mipmap bias settings, the far textures are too detailed, so the textures are looking a bit noisy, but if i increase res or AA it's simply goes away.

Anyway, don't use sharpening effects on your textures, because it makes the shimmering even stronger. (Not sure if you did, just giving tips).

Also nice job on the new textures as always.

Last edited by Shing; 23-03-18 at 17:30.
Shing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-18, 17:34   #53
TheMadModder
Historian

Thanks so much I adore remastered textures. 4K is ideal but anything is better than the original. Look forward to trying out.
TheMadModder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-18, 19:10   #54
JimbobJeffers
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shing View Post
I think it's possible to eliminate that shimmering simply by using anti-aliasing or playing on higher resolution. At least i had an experience with it. It's possible to tweak mipmap details in Battlefield 1942. When i use too low mipmap bias settings, the far textures are too detailed, so the textures are looking a bit noisy, but if i increase res or AA it's simply goes away.

Anyway, don't use sharpening effects on your textures, because it makes the shimmering even stronger. (Not sure if you did, just giving tips).

Also nice job on the new textures as always.
I did mess around with the Nvidia control panel and I may have improved it slightly but it's still noticeable. I'm not aware of any config files for forcing certain mipmap levels with TRA, but editing the textures manually isn't too much work. Yeah I don't use sharpening, just incredibly high-res textures (some as high as 8K) mostly from Poliigon. And thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMadModder View Post
Thanks so much I adore remastered textures. 4K is ideal but anything is better than the original. Look forward to trying out.
The source textures e.g. for Lara do go up to 4K, but unfortunately I was having trouble getting the entirety of Croft Manor's textures to fit in at 512x512-4096x4096 resolutions, so I've had to settle for less. But you really can't tell the difference with Lara's top for example, not unless you have an 8K screen!
Old 26-03-18, 13:44   #55
your evil twin
Hobbyist

A suggestion that might be slightly outside the remit of this project - any chance of doing a Lara texture where she is wearing her classic leotard?

The concept art for Tomb Raider 1 had her wearing a leotard under her shorts, to emphasise the idea of her being a gymnast. And indeed Lara's model in the first couple of Tomb Raider games had a tiny bit of skin showing at her hips, except it was only a few pixels and it was barely noticeable with those basic graphics, especially next to her brown shorts. So most fans didn't realise it was a leotard and just thought it was a blue/green top.

In Tomb Raider 4 they made it more noticeable by making the leotard higher cut, but then that looked a little silly, such a high-cut leotard would be like a thong and giving her wedgie. In Tomb Raider Legend they did the same thing and had her 'classic' outfit be a very high-cut leotard.

However with high resolution textures it should be possible to do a sensibly-cut leotard like she had in TR1 and 2, and have it be just barely noticable normally but more visible when she stretches or crouches at certain angles.

Funnily enough the earliest promotion screenshot for Tomb Raider Anniversary showed a little peek of skin at her hips, so they were going to do the leotard thing, but then they changed it to a normal top for whatever reason.

"James Croft" did a nice subtle "TR1 Original" leotard: http://archive.tombraiderhub.com/tra...outfits05.html

And "Andrew Croft" did a texture called "Anniversary Body" which is the default Anniversary outfit changed to a leotard, except quite high-cut, more TR4 / Legend style.
http://archive.tombraiderhub.com/tra...outfits08.html

Anyway, I think a an optional version of high-res Lara whose top has the shape of James Croft's TR1 leotard would be great, she'd be 1996 Lara brought to life with more modern graphics.
your evil twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-18, 17:06   #56
edups
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimbobJeffers View Post
That's alright, I'll admit I've been aware of this since I first made the textures, but it didn't bother me and no one brought it up so I put it on my backlog, prioritising new textures. Not to sound ungrateful in the slightest, I'm glad you've brought it up! :P

Mipmaps will be my first port of call, I like your suggestion of faded details.

For those interested in following progress, I've uploaded a spreadsheet with the textures as I do them. There are a dozen or so DRM files for Croft Manor, with only the first presented on the sheet thus far, so although I've finished those textures for the original Texmod release it's going to take a while to clean them up and port them across to my new setup.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
The link to the spreadsheet is down for me,can you reupload it?
edups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-18, 20:10   #57
JimbobJeffers
Student

Heya! I'm finally setting aside time to continue this project, after working on some other stuff. The spreadsheet link has gone down because I deleted my Google account in the interest of privacy - I'm using alternatives like ProtonMail now, so apologies about that.

Regarding the shimmering/moire effect, where close lines don't look nice unless zoomed right in, I'm working on improving that now by manually editing the mip-maps so I can directly control how they look at distance.
Old 24-10-18, 11:40   #58
JimbobJeffers
Student

Hope it's okay to double-post here as I have progress to report. The mod's finally been updated to v0.02! This adds the first of 16 Croft Manor asset packages, which basically covers the main hall. Screens and download in the original post.

Each of the 16 packages has a set of textures which are named with hashes such as "157_7", so I have to go through them one at a time and compile all the necessary information:

Then I take the textures which I've already finished for the older Texmod version of this overhaul, re-export them using a better mipmaps downsampling algorithm, modify the headers of the DDS files in a hex editor, convert them to PCD format for the game, edit the headers again to verify the hashes match, pack them into the DRM files and finally they're ready for the mod. :P It's a lot of work so it'll take time but I'm going at it daily.

Also a note on the shimmering/moire effect on textures, it is something I plan to look into, but my priority right now is just getting everything transferred into the new mod format for you to play with, then I can go back and work on that. Forcing anti-aliasing and other tricks through the Nvidia Control Panel might help in the meantime if you have access to it.

Last edited by JimbobJeffers; 24-10-18 at 14:17.
Old 27-10-18, 21:30   #59
R41D3R
Student

Nice, can't wait for everything to get transferred into the new mod format.
Old 03-11-18, 08:35   #60
skracer
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimbobJeffers View Post
I'm on Win10 so it's not that. If you add a new line at the end of the .bat file and type pause, then save and run it, you'll see what the cmd window says before it closes. That might help?

If not give me as much detail as you can about the issue, perhaps via PM, and I'll do what I can to help out.
"

Good news. I just tried the .02 version right now and the mod is working for me! I don't know why it didn't before. Thanks.

Also, sorry for the late reply. I took a break from games for awhile.
skracer is offline   Reply With Quote