Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 13-03-19, 01:49   #11
Legends

I kinda wish Angelina was back in a different movie, but okay. I guess I'll watch it when it's on Netflix.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 04:21   #12
Boobandie

@Avalon SARL: I don't think people forget that she cursed Aurora, it's just that the movie frames her as sympathetic.

Her best friend and believed 'true love' metaphorically raped her and left her with a permanent disability that prevented her from flying, her true happiness. At no point in that movie aside from the cursing scene does she even look evil, let alone act it. She is framed as a hero overcoming the odds. She starts off as a good character, finishes as a good character, and still does good things during her 'evil' phase. They even had her soften the curse to not kill the princess, a role traditionally assumed by the last good fairy.

Angelina's Maleficent is a beautiful performance, but it takes a lot for the character in that movie to becoming even close to being called the "Mistress of Evil."

Last edited by Boobandie; 13-03-19 at 04:22.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 05:00   #13
lance6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
I kinda wish Angelina was back in a different movie, but okay. I guess I'll watch it when it's on Netflix.
Jolie doing all these Disney movies is a good thing. Gives her good press and makes people think twice before reading crap tabloids
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 08:19   #14
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobandie View Post
@Avalon SARL: I don't think people forget that she cursed Aurora, it's just that the movie frames her as sympathetic.

Her best friend and believed 'true love' metaphorically raped her and left her with a permanent disability that prevented her from flying, her true happiness. At no point in that movie aside from the cursing scene does she even look evil, let alone act it. She is framed as a hero overcoming the odds. She starts off as a good character, finishes as a good character, and still does good things during her 'evil' phase. They even had her soften the curse to not kill the princess, a role traditionally assumed by the last good fairy.

Angelina's Maleficent is a beautiful performance, but it takes a lot for the character in that movie to becoming even close to being called the "Mistress of Evil."

True, but they say about this movie:... in which audiences learned of the events that hardened the heart of Disney’s most notorious villain and drove her to curse a baby Princess...

The way I see it, it is building up on someone who was so good and pure innocent into someone who has got lots of darkness which she herself has not totally discovered yet.
Avalon SARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 09:44   #15
Dustie

I liked the first movie, it was the usual big budget kind of movie, but I like Angelina on screen, so it was nice to watch, even if the story seemed a bit of a stretch. That being said, I can't picture what this one will be about, I feel like doing another one is probably unnecessary, but I guess I will go to see it anyway.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 13:57   #16
Tonyrobinson

She does have another film coming up it's an origin story to Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. I'm not sure when it will be released though.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 14:04   #17
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
She does have another film coming up it's an origin story to Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. I'm not sure when it will be released though.
Yes I read about this. Called Come Away.

She is blonde in it.

Quote:
They look the same as the first film if not slightly further back on her head.

Here's a set picture.

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/cultur...icent-2-photo/
That is what I meant. Because her horns have steep arches, I don't think that from a profile they would look like this. That is why I was assuming they are different. Maybe they change later on;

or it could just be that from a profile view, they really look like this.

Updates: And some details say: Watch Maleficent lose all sense of humanity and become the murderous monarch

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 13-03-19 at 16:15.
Old 13-03-19, 18:35   #18
Boobandie

She has to come back from it though. Old narrator Aurora remembers her fairy godmother fondly.

It just feels... like a cashgrab. Her story was finished by the end of the first movie, with everyone getting a happy ending. She went through an arc and was redeemed. To get her from the point she was at at the end of Maleficent to 'The Mistress of Evil' would take something huge happening, but then she needs to be redeemed again to make the ending of the first one line up.

Last edited by Boobandie; 13-03-19 at 18:38.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-19, 15:11   #19
Tonyrobinson

Possible spoilers:

The Mistress of Evil in the film may actually refer to Michelle Pfeiffers character.
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-19, 19:26   #20
Avalon SARL

Quote:
Possible spoilers:

[/COLOR]
No that is not true; because the villain is Ed Serkin and not Michele...

Michele is probably going to be the reason why Maleficent goes all crazy once again...

In recent interview with Elle (aurora), she said it is a very strong Mother-daughter complex relationship, and Michelle being the Prince's Mother is definitely not playing it cool.

But the Movie poster is AJ and not Michelle...

Beside, it is confirmed now that Maleficent ti n this movie will lose all sense of humanity...

Last edited by Avalon SARL; 14-03-19 at 19:29.