Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

View Poll Results: Who do you want to develop the next TR game?
Crystal Dynamics 48 18.68%
Eidos Montreal 75 29.18%
New developer 134 52.14%
Voters: 257. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20-03-19, 03:01   #331
lance6439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonie Tomb Raider View Post
I was always on the EM train, but after reading more interviews and the notion that becoming a Tomb Raider = protecting humanity I'm so over it. I absolutely adore what they've done with the game design, but ultimately I want a developer who will respect the roots of Tomb Raider and what Lara Croft was created to be, a witty and rebellious adventurer who raids tombs for the adrenaline rush and sport of it all. Lara Croft was not a hero, it's getting old seeing her be shoehorned into one.

Capcom is slaying it lately. I can only dream of what they would do for Tomb Raider. Or at the very least, hopefully whoever is developing the next game (I'd guess CD but who knows) will take some notes and start respecting source material in the future.
i think it would be better if we just had a separate series of games with the likeness of Core Lara
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 03:10   #332
Melonie Tomb Raider
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
i think it would be better if we just had a separate series of games with the likeness of Core Lara
Classic Lara spinoffs that are true to the old-school formula and Lara's character (GoL and ToO weren't that) I'd totally be about, and reboot savior Lara can continue. I'd play both and love them, but honestly it's a little exhausting to see someone who is basically a new character entirely take the spotlight away from the most iconic woman in the history of gaming.

We still need the original Lara Croft, and if that's through a spinoff I'll take what I can get.

I love the new games and even the new Lara, but I can't help but be upset to see Lara Croft take a 180 and be a completely different person than what she was created to be.

Let's be real here, it's the 90's Lara that became an icon and is one of the most recognizeable characters in the history of gaming, and there's a reason for it.

Last edited by Melonie Tomb Raider; 20-03-19 at 03:18.
Melonie Tomb Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 03:30   #333
Legends

Quote:
Classic Lara spinoffs that are true to the old-school formula and Lara's character (GoL and ToO weren't that) I'd totally be about, and reboot savior Lara can continue. I'd play both and love them, but honestly it's a little exhausting to see someone who is basically a new character entirely take the spotlight away from the most iconic woman in the history of gaming.

We still need the original Lara Croft, and if that's through a spinoff I'll take what I can get.

I love the new games and even the new Lara, but I can't help but be upset to see Lara Croft take a 180 and be a completely different person than what she was created to be.
Yes, I completely agree. It's super exhausting. A lot of my hate for the reboot comes from this exact reason. I would welcome a reboot series if it didn't completely block the "old" Tomb Raider and Lara Croft.

I could like the reboot, or a reboot with a younger inexperienced Lara Croft if it was actually true to her original character and didn't completely change her. They've made the reboot so unappealing, which just makes it worse that the old Tomb Raider seems lost. I guess the last glimmer of hope was The Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris, but that was still far from a classic experience.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 03:41   #334
JsotoTRSaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
Yes, I completely agree. It's super exhausting. A lot of my hate for the reboot comes from this exact reason. I would welcome a reboot series if it didn't completely block the "old" Tomb Raider and Lara Croft.

I could like the reboot, or a reboot with a younger inexperienced Lara Croft if it was actually true to her original character and didn't completely change her. They've made the reboot so unappealing, which just makes it worse that the old Tomb Raider seems lost. I guess the last glimmer of hope was The Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris, but that was still far from a classic experience.
I agree, It would appear as if though this is the saddest time ever to be a TR fan in the history of the franchise.

There is nothing TR in Reboot, not even Lara.
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 04:31   #335
New Dwight
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
Anyone but Crystal Dynamics.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsotoTRSaga View Post
I agree, It would appear as if though this is the saddest time ever to be a TR fan in the history of the franchise.

There is nothing TR in Reboot, not even Lara.
Praise JsotoTRSaga.
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 05:16   #336
Ellioft

Quote:

I'm sure a lot of peoples were claming the same thing when AOD/Legend was released nothing change on the sun

You can't market Tomb Raider with a new reboot saying New and Tasty (Oddworld reference ) on the box when it's actually the same old formula used in 1996.

Classic Lara does have a lot of adventures to experience on TRLE thanks to the passionate fan base. There's only three games with Reboot Lara but the developement was lasting more time between each games, that's why you think Reboot Lara as stolen the spotlight when it's not really the case.

Eight years and Core have done six games, thank's we are not in the 90s anymore. Also Lara is still the most recognisible face that's true but mostly with the publicity, now she's marketed in a different way.

You can see the contrast for exemple between

Legend promotion for FHM with the Lara Croft challenge when a bunch of mannequins doing exercices like shooting, mud combat in sexy outfits all for winning a new car and a sexy photoshoot.

The Making a Tomb Raider released recently focused with one athlet overcoming obstacles and winning nothing at the end but having a lot of fun.

Last edited by Ellioft; 20-03-19 at 05:17.
Ellioft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 07:42   #337
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
I'm sure a lot of peoples were claming the same thing when AOD/Legend was released nothing change on the sun

You can't market Tomb Raider with a new reboot saying New and Tasty (Oddworld reference ) on the box when it's actually the same old formula used in 1996.

Classic Lara does have a lot of adventures to experience on TRLE thanks to the passionate fan base. There's only three games with Reboot Lara but the developement was lasting more time between each games, that's why you think Reboot Lara as stolen the spotlight when it's not really the case.

Eight years and Core have done six games, thank's we are not in the 90s anymore. Also Lara is still the most recognisible face that's true but mostly with the publicity, now she's marketed in a different way.

You can see the contrast for exemple between

Legend promotion for FHM with the Lara Croft challenge when a bunch of mannequins doing exercices like shooting, mud combat in sexy outfits all for winning a new car and a sexy photoshoot.

The Making a Tomb Raider released recently focused with one athlet overcoming obstacles and winning nothing at the end but having a lot of fun.
Legend wasn't Core though?

TRLE can't really update the classic engine enough to make them feel like new games, stuff like melee attacks, Those poles you could place in Underworld and outright new enemies seem to all be things that are either impossible or take so much work almost no one bothers with them in TRLE.

Also on the whole "Sexism" thing you might be going for, at least Classic Lara wasn't reduced to a punching bag, in the actual games, so we would "Want to protect her."

She was only sexualised in Promo material, not done by the developers.
Samz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 08:26   #338
Linoshi Croft

Quote:
I was always on the EM train, but after reading more interviews and the notion that becoming a Tomb Raider = protecting humanity I'm so over it.I absolutely adore what they've done with the game design, but ultimately I want a developer who will respect the roots of Tomb Raider and what Lara Croft was created to be, a witty and rebellious adventurer who raids tombs for the adrenaline rush and sport of it all. Lara Croft was not a hero, it's getting old seeing her be shoehorned into one.

Capcom is slaying it lately. I can only dream of what they would do for Tomb Raider. Or at the very least, hopefully whoever is developing the next game (I'd guess CD but who knows) will take some notes and start respecting source material in the future.
I absolutely agree everything you said. Though, I'd like to note that Crystal are equally as guilty of the same thing. The line at the end of Rise about making "...the right difference..." *vomits* ...reboot Lara is just so ****ing cringey.

I do wonder what Eidos would of done if they were in control of the reboot from the get go. What would their Lara be like?
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 09:45   #339
Boobandie

Eidos Montreal, but without Square and Crystal breathing down their necks telling them to take the classic stuff out.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-19, 09:51   #340
FanosCroft

Crystal Dynamics. PERIOD.
FanosCroft is offline   Reply With Quote