Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 13-03-19, 14:37   #631
NoahCrofRaider

I always loved walking in the classics to make it feel a bit more cinematic or epic, but when it’s forced, it’s just annoying, strangely enough.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 14:55   #632
Grimaldi

The forced walk that bothers me is whenever you come across something of note in the reboot, like a temple or something cool in the distance, and the camera zooms in while Lara forcibly walks towards it as the game goes "oooh, aaah". I was playing The Forge the other day and came across the cave with the giant column at the end, but there wasn't a forced "awe" moment, I just ran into the room and got that sense of space immediately. Lara barely said a word either so I felt like I could react to what I was seeing and not to Lara reacting, if that makes sense.

That's something the classics did really well. You walk into the Cistern and boom, there's the space for you to take in. TR4 started getting a bit obnoxious with the flybys though.
Grimaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 15:19   #633
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
TR4 started getting a bit obnoxious with the flybys though.
In some of the flybys, if you time it right, you can kill Lara right before they start. So, I kill Lara multiple times, and during the flyby you hear, and sometimes see, her neck crack, and her laying on the ground while the camera keeps flying by as if nothing major happened LMAO

Am I the only one who does this?
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 15:43   #634
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
I always loved walking in the classics to make it feel a bit more cinematic or epic, but when it’s forced, it’s just annoying, strangely enough.
It's not that strange that it's annying when it's forced. All the control is taken away from the player and you're just told to follow instead of having to be careful by yourself. I wish more games would go back to being truly mechanic based, and not try to be cinematic "experiences".
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 16:36   #635
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I think as long as you apply that logic to the headset it could really work. Having replayed legend I really feel this was integral to the plot being the best one CD has ever told. If they had it in there but only had it working in reasonable areas without constant chatter, which is what ruined Legend, then I don't see why it couldn't be a great inclusion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Whatever happened to Portugalraider thread idea about what makes TR TR? Was it forbidden?
I'm still planning it. It's just that I got sick, now work is in the way and I saw I have a lot to say regarding everything, so it's taking some time.

I might start the thread and then put my own comments on it after.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 16:39   #636
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
It's not that strange that it's annying when it's forced. All the control is taken away from the player and you're just told to follow instead of having to be careful by yourself. I wish more games would go back to being truly mechanic based, and not try to be cinematic "experiences".
Pretty much.

Too bad people don't like letting players play the Game part of the Video Game anymore when they can shove their wanna-be hollywood Video at you.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-19, 17:05   #637
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samz View Post
Pretty much.

Too bad people don't like letting players play the Game part of the Video Game anymore when they can shove their wanna-be hollywood Video at you.
Oof. I know... I really hope that trend dies soon. I remember back when Legend was new; people would be so upset by the QTE's in that game, and looking back on how everything evolved from that... it just got worse. It's become less and less about mechanics, and more and more about cinematic shots with a bad story.

Last edited by Legends; 13-03-19 at 19:36.
Old 13-03-19, 18:22   #638
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
In some of the flybys, if you time it right, you can kill Lara right before they start. So, I kill Lara multiple times, and during the flyby you hear, and sometimes see, her neck crack, and her laying on the ground while the camera keeps flying by as if nothing major happened LMAO

Am I the only one who does this?
No I love doing that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends View Post
I hope this trend will die soon because right now it is beating the dead horse. It's alright for games that are meant to be like that (for instance, Heavy Rains or Telltale games) but I don't think it fits Tomb Raider, which always shine more in its mechanics better than its stories.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 13-03-19 at 18:30.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-19, 15:14   #639
AimlessThunder

Am I the only one who misses Anniversary Lara's aesthetics?

AimlessThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-19, 15:20   #640
Legends

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimlessThunder View Post
Am I the only one who misses Anniversary Lara's aesthetics?
Anniversary Lara looked great. They don't want her to look good anymore though. These days they just love everything ugly. The uglier the better apparently.