Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 19-05-20, 08:13   #11
Maser

The game is easily the most balanced game in the entire classic series. My only gripes are the combat system and Natla's Mines. The combat system honestly doesn't bother me too much because there's really not too many times in the game where the combat system is a problem. Natla's Mines on the other hand is just an awful level. Not hard in the least, just extremely boring and uneventful. I understand they had to have someway to segue from Egypt to Atlantis, but what an awful level they came up with!
Maser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-20, 14:14   #12
Greenapple968

I agree that TR1 is still a great game to play. Although it's wise to remember that TR2, TR3 and Last Revelation are better.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-20, 21:13   #13
Famicom

Just give me a grid system and tank controls any day over those uneven, context-dependent, scripted and semi-automatic controls of modern games (Tomb Raider, Uncharted, etc). I hate it when a game breaks its own rules and your character won't reach that really close ledge -cause the designers don't want you to- no matter what, only to make a huge jump to some other distant overhang 5 minutes later. Classic Tomb Raider games have some really fixed rules -thanks to the grid, too- and with those you gotta play. If you can't reach that ledge it means it's too far for you to reach. You feel you are in control of Lara, and you really are. Climbing and jumping your way through the levels depends on the use you make of Lara's skills. And since both levels and Lara's skills depend directly on the grid system, it's really difficult to fail a jump if you really got a grasp of how the grid works, which, judging by the frequent complaints about how "imprecise" or "difficult" jumps and the like are, not many people really did back in the day, even after 5 games, let alone contemporary players that face the classics for the first time. And it's not rocket science, but the industry has got us all used to playing games that are a showcase for scripts and totally controlled environments over which you don't have any control, not even the illusion of having your character under control, that facing and old Tomb Raider can make you feel helpless.

That's only one of the many reasons why I love 1996's good old Tomb Raider.

Last edited by Famicom; 20-05-20 at 21:17.
Famicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-20, 03:37   #14
LarasHotpants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
it's wise to remember that TR2, TR3 and Last Revelation are better.
It would be wiser to consider that your opinions are not necissarily the same as other peoples.

Last edited by LarasHotpants; 21-05-20 at 03:40.
LarasHotpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-20, 06:55   #15
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom View Post
I very much agree. Having fixed rules when it comes to platforming and traversal are a big advantage of the classic Tomb Raider games.

Modern games often compensate this lack of consistency with visual hints like camera movements or white ledges, making platforming often less challenging.
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-20, 13:41   #16
Maverin

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maser View Post
The game is easily the most balanced game in the entire classic series. My only gripes are the combat system and Natla's Mines. The combat system honestly doesn't bother me too much because there's really not too many times in the game where the combat system is a problem. Natla's Mines on the other hand is just an awful level. Not hard in the least, just extremely boring and uneventful. I understand they had to have someway to segue from Egypt to Atlantis, but what an awful level they came up with!
Hmm that's an interesting opinion. I really like Natla Mines.

It's not anywhere near my favourite level either but it does change the pace a bit which was necessary after the heavy mummy and mutant battles in Egypt. Then after Natla Mines it gets once again more combat intense. So I think it's the perfect level to catch a breath and to explore without too much tension. Plus it features like three mini-bosses which are all unique and rewarding to complete (you kill an arrogant criminal and get a weapon in return).
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 01:24   #17
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarasHotpants View Post
It would be wiser to consider that your opinions are not necissarily the same as other peoples.
I am quite aware that opinions do vary, and I'm aware that my opinions do not overrule the opinions of others. I do prefer TR2, TR3 and Last Revelation to TR1 but I was only kidding when stating that those three games are better than TR1; it's just my personal opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
Hmm that's an interesting opinion. I really like Natla Mines.

It's not anywhere near my favourite level either but it does change the pace a bit which was necessary after the heavy mummy and mutant battles in Egypt. Then after Natla Mines it gets once again more combat intense. So I think it's the perfect level to catch a breath and to explore without too much tension. Plus it features like three mini-bosses which are all unique and rewarding to complete (you kill an arrogant criminal and get a weapon in return).
I'm not familiar with Natla Mines; I'm only familiar with Natla's Mines.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-20, 01:47   #18
jackraider
Inactive

I'm replaying on android and I have to agree it's still really good. I love the simplicity of it all and TR1 flows nicely.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote