Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics, Books and Novels

Old 11-09-19, 18:35   #1581
Ellioft

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Hmm, I figured they'd want to continue the comics more so now than before, with the movie announcement. The comic books would be a great way to continue to generate hype.

I think at the very least, we'll get a prequel comic book for the movie. It's possible that they're putting the reboot comic in hiatus so they can make a mini series for the movie. If that's the case, they'll probably bring back the comics when the next game is announced.
No,no,no,no I don't want any comic book tie in to the movies, I'm okay for the game but if it's to have Alicia's face butchered like Lara in Survivor Crusade no thanks and the story in the sequel need to be enough.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 18:50   #1582
Rai

I don't see them doing a comic tie-in with the movies. Mainly because the movies and games don't tie-in together either. Why would there be a prequel comic for the next movie? Presuming the next movie is a direct sequel to the first, it's not needed.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 19:28   #1583
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Well, the origin trilogy ended with Shadow, it kinda makes sense that this particular run of comics as tie-ins to the trilogy would also end.
I understand it costs money to make these comics, but now they could do small standalone adventures. Just Like Top Cow comics.
That could keep a general level of interest in the franchise, since we don't know what's next for Tomb Raider.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-19, 20:15   #1584
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
No,no,no,no I don't want any comic book tie in to the movies, I'm okay for the game but if it's to have Alicia's face butchered like Lara in Survivor Crusade no thanks and the story in the sequel need to be enough.
Movie tie-ins usually have enough money to pay pencilers who can actually faithfully portray actors. Or they could just hire Phillip Sevy again, he has some really good portraits on his Instagram. Or Andy Park if his Disney contract wasn't perhaps a problem.

And as someone who will criticize Survivor's Crusade art as much as possible, Ashley A. Woods isn't a bad artist at all. Her concepts for the comic look quite good actually. Still a bit too cartoony for what a Tomb Raider comic should look imo, but really good. I think the problem here is that she probably isn't that good with managing to draw full issues in a short amount of time (besides an almost clear lack of interest, imo). But she would definitely be a good cover artist.

But as for a movie tie-in comic, I'm not too keen on the idea. It worked for the games, because they were small adventures mostly independent from the games. They complemented the story, but weren't a necessary part. Movie tie-in comics usually are either too necessary or too irrelevant for their own good.

Now, if a third movie never materialized (and I am saying third because we already are having the second one confirmed), and they were able to do that sequel in a comic format, then I would actually be okay with the idea.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 17:19   #1585
gioA

Is there definitely no library edition or just speculation?
gioA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-19, 17:22   #1586
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gioA View Post
Is there definitely no library edition or just speculation?
For now, speculation. But if they haven't announced a second one, I wouldn't bet that we will get one anytime soon.
Old 19-09-19, 13:38   #1587
Grizzly Bear

I've finally found a video that shows the new "Ombibus" format: https://youtu.be/D5t-9dAFpQw

So if you're waiting for Omnibus vol.2 like me because apparently there's no library edition, that's what we're getting.

By the look of it, apart from the softcover of course, it seems like it's slightly smaller than the library edition but that's fine, it doesn't look too bad.
I just wished there was a library edition vol.2 though...

EDIT: official dimensions:
OMNIBUS: 16.9 x 2.2 x 25.9 cm
LIBRARY: 21.1 x 3.8 x 31.5 cm

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 24-09-19 at 22:35.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-19, 05:29   #1588
lance6439

The volume books. How many editions are there for the classic comics and how many editions are there for the reboot comics? and what are their names? I'm kinda having a hard time finding these out because i'd like to own a few of these volume comic books :|
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-19, 09:12   #1589
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance6439 View Post
The volume books. How many editions are there for the classic comics and how many editions are there for the reboot comics? and what are their names? I'm kinda having a hard time finding these out because i'd like to own a few of these volume comic books :|
You can easily find everything in Dark Horse's website if you search for Tomb Raider, but here's the info you want:

For the classic comics, the best thing right now is to collect the "Tomb Raider Archives". There are 4 volumes and I think they collect all classic comics except the Witchblade crossover.

For the reboot comics between TR2013 and RotTR, the best thing right now is either the Library Edition (Hard cover) or the Omnibus Volume 1 (soft cover). They have all the comics between those games, plus the prequel comic to TR2013. But if you want the volumes with individual arcs, they are:
  • Season of the Witch
  • Secrets and Lies
  • Queen of Serpents

For the comics between RotTR and SotTR, an omnibus collecting them all will be released on 1st January. But if you want the volumes collecting each individual arc, they are:
  • Spore
  • Choice and Sacrifice
  • Survivor's Crusade
  • Inferno

Hope it helped.
Old 29-09-19, 13:55   #1590
lance6439

^ Thank you very much! will definitely buy the first omnibus of reboot :]
lance6439 is offline   Reply With Quote