www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22-04-21, 07:48   #11
UroshUchiha
Explorer
 
UroshUchiha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Serbia
Posts: 501
Default

Looks like I am not the only one who thought about this game recently hahah. Glad to see that.

I have attempted to see if there's a way to encode/compress these VOB files to reduce the filesize or something to make it easier to store.

But I have not found a tool online that's capable of still keeping the clips inside a single VOD file together after a simple downsampling. They all separate them into individual videos (which are in the end only ~600mb instead of 2gb).

Not sure if what I tried to achieve is even possible with VOD format. I assumed the interactive parts basically say "Load from this big file and play a clip starting xx:xx till xx:xx but it appears to be more complex than that.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 08:28   #12
CircusBabysGal
Historian
 
CircusBabysGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Sister Location
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Awesome, thanks for sharing, UroshUchiha!

Recently I uploaded my own playthrough of this game, but with the correct aspect ratio, all possible deaths included and German and English subtitles. I didn't even know that Roli had a video about this, as well.



I included the archive.org link in the subscription.


I had one of those as my mobile voice mail message for years.

In case anyone is wondering what this is, I also uploaded a video of these messages (also with subtitles):

Woah awesome! It takes forever to translate something in subtitles and you did it so flawlessly!


Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
Looks like I am not the only one who thought about this game recently hahah. Glad to see that.

I have attempted to see if there's a way to encode/compress these VOB files to reduce the filesize or something to make it easier to store.

But I have not found a tool online that's capable of still keeping the clips inside a single VOD file together after a simple downsampling. They all separate them into individual videos (which are in the end only ~600mb instead of 2gb).

Not sure if what I tried to achieve is even possible with VOD format. I assumed the interactive parts basically say "Load from this big file and play a clip starting xx:xx till xx:xx but it appears to be more complex than that.
Perhaps you'd have more luck ripping it from DVD straight to ISO?
__________________
The show will begin momentarily, everyone please stay in your seats.

Last edited by CircusBabysGal; 22-04-21 at 08:30.
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 09:20   #13
Wooxman
Relic Hunter
 
Wooxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CircusBabysGal View Post
Woah awesome! It takes forever to translate something in subtitles and you did it so flawlessly!
Thanks! Well, it was actually less work than I anticipated thanks to YouTube's auto translation tool. At first I wrote the German subtitles and then let YT's tool run over it. Afterwards I just had to clean up a few translation errors here and there.
__________________
Is joke! Or is?
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 11:20   #14
Sardoc
Archaeologist
 
Sardoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United Kingdom (England)
Posts: 1,268
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post

So I extracted only the game, played through the thing to be sure everything works fine and uploaded it to archive.org here.

Now we have the TR4 Interactive CD, TR5 Interactive DVD and TRAOD Action Adventure DVD hosted on that website for preservation.
I can see the TR5 link, but where are the TR4 and TR6 ones?
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 12:24   #15
UroshUchiha
Explorer
 
UroshUchiha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Serbia
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardoc View Post
I can see the TR5 link, but where are the TR4 and TR6 ones?
Tomb Raider 4 Interactive CD was released only in Spain and UK in 1999
Spain, UK

Tomb Raider wise the content is identical. The UK one has demos for other games on it as well. You will need QuickTime Player (v3 I believe) to be able to play this. It comes included on these discs but that software only works on Windows 95 and 98 as far as I remember.

Using VMWare I made a Windows 95 virtual machine to try this cause it did not work on Windows 10.

Tomb Raider 6 The Action Adventure was originally hosted here. The uploaded just included a .txt file which contained the URL for the Google Drive download link that is now deleted.
The other one is found here and it apparently has an option to be played in the browser or something? But I can't seem to be able to interact with the options.
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 14:19   #16
CircusBabysGal
Historian
 
CircusBabysGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Sister Location
Posts: 305
Default

here and it apparently has an option to be played in the browser or something? But I can't seem to be able to interact with the options.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that piracy technically? Since it's still a sold DVD Title? Regardless I think the AoD DVD Game is a good edition to the AoD releases, I wished they would make more of them, I have AoD on DVD and its super fun to play when you feel like going on an AoD Journey but don't have any motivation to actually play, imagine playing TRL on DVD...
__________________
The show will begin momentarily, everyone please stay in your seats.
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 14:34   #17
UroshUchiha
Explorer
 
UroshUchiha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Serbia
Posts: 501
Default

I have no clue if AOD DVD being uploaded to archive.org is piracy or not. No clue if you can even still buy that thing anywhere legally/officially.
Maybe it's abandonware?

Does archive.org have a mod team or something? If yes, I'll let them maintain their library
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-21, 14:43   #18
CircusBabysGal
Historian
 
CircusBabysGal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Sister Location
Posts: 305
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
I have no clue if AOD DVD being uploaded to archive.org is piracy or not. No clue if you can even still buy that thing anywhere legally/officially.
Maybe it's abandonware?

Does archive.org have a mod team or something? If yes, I'll let them maintain their library
You can still buy the AoD DVD on Amazon!
__________________
The show will begin momentarily, everyone please stay in your seats.
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 16:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.