www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 21-07-19, 13:26   #871
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
It depends. August for example is a calm month where the releases are usually softer and usually triumph movies that nobody expected (Megalodon, hello).
The Fast and the Furious spinoff is coming out this August so I think it's a relief there won't be a TR film coming in August this year.
But in general you are correct that not many big movies are released in August so yeah it is probably a decent month for TR.
Old 21-07-19, 14:08   #872
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoraSakai View Post
They could aim for September/October. Warner Bros is pretty much dominating Halloween time as they’re the masters of horror films at the moment.

Give the film a dark enough tone and whatnot and it could appeal to people wanting a dark adventure film with scary locations. Deep ancient Aztec tombs would be great. Make a film that captures the tone of Shadow and Rise’s reveal teaser CG trailers
September has a bit of the "January problem" as well, as a time for releasing movies that might not sell. October has the same possible May problem, with a Disney remake in the lines, but a bit better because there is not a Marvel release.

October does seem the 2nd best date, but personally I still think August would be the best. But of course, that means rescheduling Suicide Squad.
Old 21-07-19, 14:25   #873
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
October has the same possible May problem, with a Disney remake in the lines, but a bit better because there is not a Marvel release.
Is this the remake of The Little Mermaid? Because if it is then it's possibly not a huge problem. Out of all the upcoming Disney remakes TLM is probably gonna be the furthest one from appealing to the same target audience as TR.
Old 21-07-19, 14:42   #874
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Is this the remake of The Little Mermaid? Because if it is then it's possibly not a huge problem. Out of all the upcoming Disney remakes TLM is probably gonna be the furthest one from appealing to the same target audience as TR.
We still don't know, and true, it depends on what Disney Remake it is. Still, better assume for now that every Disney Remake spot goes to Little Mermaid or any other "Disney Renaissance" movie.
Old 21-07-19, 14:48   #875
TrustyBow
Professor

If they adopt Rise's setting, I wonder if January wouldn't be so bad of a month to release it

If the movies good enough, I think people would make the exception to see it, even in a moth where the box office is low.
Old 21-07-19, 14:50   #876
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Jesus christ, there is always going to be competition, people... Tomb Raider II can't be the only film to be released in it's release week.
Old 21-07-19, 15:15   #877
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
Jesus christ, there is always going to be competition, people... Tomb Raider II can't be the only film to be released in it's release week.
I think people are well aware of this, but there is a difference between releasing the same week as some huge Marvel movie and the next Adam Sandler movie you know.

Still, I suppose it's is very early to be obsessing over over the competition when there are way more important stuff to be obsessing over like story, cast and crew etc
Old 21-07-19, 15:35   #878
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
Still, I suppose it's is very early to be obsessing over over the competition when there are way more important stuff to be obsessing over like story, cast and crew etc
And this is what I feel a little odd about, it almost seems like people are more concerned about this becoming a big success rather than a great movie in itself .
Old 21-07-19, 15:47   #879
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
And this is what I feel a little odd about, it almost seems like people are more concerned about this becoming a big success rather than a great movie in itself .
I agree with you there. Funny you should mention it because that was also something I remember noticing from discussions while they were making the first reboot film.
Even then I felt as if some people were more concerned about the first film becoming a big enough fincancial success so that sequels would get made rather than the quality of the film itself. IDK.

I for one would rather have one amazing TR film that bombs completely at the box office, rather than one mediocre one that is successful enough to be followed by a couple of mediocre sequels.
Old 21-07-19, 16:04   #880
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Speaking for myself, I do much rather have a great movie instead of a successful one. But if the scales can be tipped more in favor for the movie to have a better BO, why not discuss that as well?

Besides, we got nothing else to discuss right now. We discussed several times we'd prefer something based on the games or completely original, if based on the games, if a direct adaptation or something more "inspired by" like the 2018 movie was, which era of the games should they look for inspiration, who should direct the movie, who should be on it, who should not. But these are too vague right now, since we know nothing about the movie besides Amy Jump is writing it, and Alicia is still set to star in it.

And at least according to IMDB (though not very reliable since anyone can edit it), we know the movie might be set for a 2021 release. Knowing WB's planned release schedule, why not compare it to Disney's release schedule and discuss when the movie could possibly be more successful?