www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 17-11-18, 20:55   #1
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Default Microsoft apparently releasing a discless version of the Xbox One in 2019

So apparently there are reports that Microsoft is going to be releasing a disc-less version of their current console, the Xbox One. So that means it's gonna be a digital only system. On the plus side, Microsoft are going to be doing a disc to digital service with participating retailers to allow you to get a digital version of your game. I can see this being the start of a digital-only version of console gaming.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-one-next-year
Old 17-11-18, 21:01   #2
Isaac
Relic Hunter

PC games have been mostly digital for a while, so I'm not surprised. People hardly buy games in disc anymore with Steam anyway.

Yet I'm not entirely convinced this is a good idea. My PS4 came with only 500 GB and the reason I was able to avoid changing my HDD is because most of my games are disc-based, so I can unsintall/install at will.
... Something I can't do with digital games since to install again I would need to download the game again and with a limited bandwidth it's not the best idea.

So until unlimited bandwidth become a norm (it's expensive in Canada), I don't want consoles to become digital only. Hopefully it also won't depend on being online neither.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 21:03   #3
Jami393
Tomb Raider

Wasn't it the case people hardly bought physical versions of PC games lately due to them mainly being a form of activation key for Steam?
Old 17-11-18, 21:08   #4
Lara's home
Relic Hunter

I don't see why anyone would want this.
Giving all of the control pricing wise over to one company seems like a horrible deal for consumers.
Lara's home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 21:52   #5
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara's home View Post
I don't see why anyone would want this.
Giving all of the control pricing wise over to one company seems like a horrible deal for consumers.
Yeah I don't know because I tend to buy discs rather than download digitally most of the time, but it seems like the price drops a lot quicker on physical copies while it stays the very expensive starter price online for years. From what I've seen anyway.

It just seems like a low key way to force everyone into paying the expensive starter price (until years have past anyway), rather than waiting for the price to drop relatively fast by buying second-hand disc copies of older releases. Can't say I'm surprised though, they're gonna do what they can to make the most profit and not lose money.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 17-11-18 at 21:54.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-18, 22:18   #6
Lyle Croft
Professor

They better be taking into consideration other factors if they plan on doing this globablly. Like bandwidth and all.
Old 17-11-18, 22:22   #7
Samz
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Yeah I don't know because I tend to buy discs rather than download digitally most of the time, but it seems like the price drops a lot quicker on physical copies while it stays the very expensive starter price online for years. From what I've seen anyway.

It just seems like a low key way to force everyone into paying the expensive starter price (until years have past anyway), rather than waiting for the price to drop relatively fast by buying second-hand disc copies of older releases. Can't say I'm surprised though, they're gonna do what they can to make the most profit and not lose money.
Years? you should look at the Call of Duty games on steam, they're massively over-charged considering how old they are.
Old 17-11-18, 22:35   #8
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Not suprising, only games I get physically are Switch games. All of my PC games are digital.

Honestly digital has it's pros and it's cons. Like for instance you have to make sure your security on your account is top notoch because a hacker could take over your account if your not careful. Plus there is worry about having the compaines having that much control over publishing and not actually owning something.

However the pros are not having to get up and change disks. Also don't have to worry about losing your game.

Gaming is going digital more and more. But then again so is everything else.
Old 18-11-18, 05:26   #9
domino92
Tomb Raider

I vaguely recall a PSP Go which tried this years ago and flopped hard.

The market has changed since then, and while I don't think this will be a total disaster, this wouldn't be the first time Microsoft has completely misread the market and caused a PR nightmare for themselves.

And this really feels like an extension of their efforts to kill digital sales and control the software market completely. It didn't fly the first time when they announced the console, but will it this time? We'll see.

Though my bet is this thing probably won't be as successful as Microsoft wants it to be.
Old 18-11-18, 11:07   #10
Moosey
Archaeologist

You'll have to pry my discs from my cold dead body.
Seriously though, digital prices vs used physical ebay/amazon prices are ridiculous. Can be like 60 vs 30.
Moosey is offline   Reply With Quote