Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 04-06-16, 17:52   #1
Lara Croft 25

Default Recording w/ FRAPS TR2 Help

I really just want to record Tomb Raider 2 without any issues. Sometimes if I hit record; fraps lags for 10 seconds. That issue has not happened today, but whenever the game starts having more action; the game's frame rate drops significantly & it almost froze at the end of The Great Wall of China. This is a 1997 game & I'm running it with 6GB & a quad core processor. Why am I having trouble with fraps? Please help me. I just want to record the game without issues.
Lara Croft 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 11:31   #2
Topherino

Are you recording at 60fps at 1080p? I had a similar problem, and switching to 30fps helped, I believe. It could also be that the HDD you're recording to can't really handle it. If you have an NVIDIA card, I'd recommend using Shadowplay instead, works great with TR2.
Topherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 13:13   #3
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Agree 30fps is the setting you want.

Also to avoid conflict with hot keys in the game, I would set the following.....

Benchmark hotkey set to F3
Overlay hotkey set to F4

Video capture set to =
Screenshot capture set to Backspace
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-16, 19:46   #4
Lara Croft 25

I switched the hot key to record to = and it worked, but then it started crashing again. This is frustrating because I have recorded a few videos fine.

I uploaded this to video to Youtube before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SsvISJZqYA
Old 11-06-16, 00:42   #5
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Could be your fraps has not enough RAM for buffering.

Close down all other programs running in the background that are not necessary, including the internet. Try again. Report back.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-16, 16:44   #6
Trenton

What video settings are you using for recording? If you record in a processor intensive codec like H.264 it may be that the load is too heavy and you'd benefit from using a less processor intensive codec like MotionJPEG (massively bigger file size though). On the other hand if you're currently recording in MotionJPEG it could be that your hard disk is not keeping up with the constant massive filesize writing and thus causes lagging.
I use Bandicam for recording TR games so I'm not familiar with FRAPS at all, but I assume there are some different options as to what codec to use for recording? Just changing to a different codec and see if that makes a difference might be worth a try.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-16, 19:20   #7
Lara Croft 25

My video capture settings are set to 30 FPS. There are settings like "locking framerate" and stuff like that, but there's not that many options.

This is very frustrating because I have recorded a few videos without issues, but the second I hit record my tomb raider games nearly freeze until I stop recording.

FRAPS does make HUGE files, but I can make them way smallers by using windows movie maker.