Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 11-10-19, 20:45   #111
Vaskito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raidering View Post
This might be something small, but I’m gonna say it anyway: Lara didn’t go to the Chasm Monastery to save Sam, she was trying to save the co-pilot Captain Jessop, which Mathias kills with explosives... She then gets knocked off and gets tied up. After her escape, she makes contact with Sam, departing for her rescue... ^.^
Actually, I've written the events in the right order:

Quote:
Then, the plane crash happens, and that’s when Lara sees something unnatural happens with the weather. As she feels she’s guilty of their crashing, she sets of to help them, to no avail as they’re killed by inhabitants in front of Lara. At this point, Alex and Reyes contact Lara and tell her Sam was kidnapped by an actual cult. At this point, Lara still doesn’t know Himiko is real.
As Lara is the closest one to Sam’s last known position, she goes off to try to save her. She then sees the Oni, and finds Himiko’s tomb, where she learns that there’s a fire ritual to find a successor to Himiko. At this point, Sam manages to steal a walkie-talkie, and warns Lara that they’re trying to do that fire ritual to her
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 20:50   #112
Tomb Raidering

The sentencing order is a bit confusing, but now I get it...
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 11:26   #113
CroftManiac05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
I spent most of my one time playing screaming at the TV because of how bad the dialog was, and it didn't need to be bad.
Yeah the dialog was bad overall, but not as bad as Rise. This scene in particular really grinds my gears.

It's the climax of the story, Ana has the divine source and Lara is confronting her, trying to change her mind about Trinity. And when I was waiting for Lara to say something smart to (if not convince), shake Ana up a bit and have her doubt herself for a moment, she started saying some bullcrap about how "death is part of life..."
I was dumbfounded when I heard that because it was so anticlimatic. I was like "That's the best you could think of Lara?". I didn't know if I should laugh or be angry because that scene was butchered.
CroftManiac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 14:08   #114
jajay119

Late to the party but: I don’t think it is hard to write a good TR story. The story should be about the adventure and Lara’s journey along that line. The problem is CD insist on making the entire experience about Lara and her family drama which, no offence to them, is boring and overplayed. They also have a habit of making things too grand and making it hard to resolve: extending the Arthurian myth from Legend into a mono myth story in TRU, including too many characters and not paying their stories off properly like TRU and the reboot, constantly getting people kidnapped like any reboot game and making Trinity into an ancient worldwide shadow organisation that Lara could never feasibly stand up to etc. Just make it about the artifact and the adventure again - Lara can show growth and friendships along the way. Many people compare TR to Uncharted and say the latter does it better but the latter also knows how to plan a story and where to draw the line.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 20:03   #115
Dennis's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaskito View Post
None of the conversations felt unnatural to me. Lara finds Sam, and Sam tells her she's fine. She gets kidnapped when Lara is passed out.
Come on. NO ONE gets their head whacked, finds them self hung upside down in a den of death, gets impaled as they fall to the ground, chased by a slasher film weirdo as they escape through a river blood, reunites with their friend who is in the company of a creepy ass stranger and thinks, "this is fine. No need to trouble my friend with my trauma or warn her there are unfriendlies on the island."

No, I don't think that's what any actual person would do. I think what actual people would do would say, "Sam, can I talk to you over here?" and tell their friend what happened and to be careful. Lara can still pass out, she just doesn't look like idiot when her friend fails to heed her warning and gets kidnapped.

I'm not going to respond to everything. My memory of Reyes telling Alex to wait was a conversation over the walkie while Lara was platforming to Alex.

However, now you've brought up another idiot plot point: Reyes says "Alex can take are of himself."

Based on what? His extensive training? Career in the army?

Alex is a the techno-geek of the crew. After Sam, he's the least qualified to go off on his own on a island full of murderous, over-armed mercenary types. Let's send the crew's funny puppy dog off on his own.

Which brings up the next unreality: why is anyone going off on their own on an island of murderous, over-armed mercenary types?

This is how the game lies to you. This is not how real people would behave if they shipwrecked on an island full of murderous mercenaries.

The game is full of ridiculous, unrealistic behavior.

Edit: No, she doesn't tell them Alex died. She says he was "still on the ship." More importantly, she doesn't tell them that Alex sacrificed himself so she could escape with the tools. She denies that poor boy (who actually one one of the few greats line in the game) the hero's death he deserved. It's horrible, horrible ruining of what could have been an actual moment about someone else in the game.

Last edited by Dennis's Mom; 13-10-19 at 20:18.
Dennis's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 20:17   #116
Tomb Raidering

^
My god, every point you had is so true! Imo dialogue improved a bit with Shadow.
________

But honestly, the thing I find the most ridiculous is Lara trying to convince Jonah on an expedition to Siberia, bringing him with her, then after they get seperated she just tells him to leave her alone on the walkie-talkie. She seems so selfish in that one scene. Then why did you bring him with you, taking responsibility about him??? >.<
Old 13-10-19, 20:22   #117
Athukraz

Lara: wrecks a room cause Jonah doesn't wanna come with her some 6000km
Jonah: changes his mind and decides to come
Also Lara: go back I need to do this alone.

Athukraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 20:27   #118
Samz

Quote:
^
My god, every point you had is so true! Imo dialogue improved a bit with Shadow.
________

But honestly, the thing I find the most ridiculous is Lara trying to convince Jonah on an expedition to Siberia, bringing him with her, then after they get seperated she just tells him to leave her alone on the walkie-talkie. She seems so selfish in that one scene. Then why did you bring him with you, taking responsibility about him??? >.<
Truely, Rise deserves it's award for story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis's Mom View Post
Come on. NO ONE gets their head whacked, finds them self hung upside down in a den of death, gets impaled as they fall to the ground, chased by a slasher film weirdo as they escape through a river blood, reunites with their friend who is in the company of a creepy ass stranger and thinks, "this is fine. No need to trouble my friend with my trauma or warn her there are unfriendlies on the island."
But how are we supposed to have tension with the totally trust-worthy matthias?

Last edited by Samz; 13-10-19 at 20:28.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 20:28   #119
Tomb Raidering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athukraz View Post
Lara: wrecks a room cause Jonah doesn't wanna come with her some 6000km
Jonah: changes his mind and decides to come
Also Lara: go back I need to do this alone.

Yes, omg! >.<

Were there multiple writers who forgot what the other one did??? Like come on, seriously? Was it intentional to show Lara was selfish? I’m not buying it.

And Lara trying find the only ‘mysterious’ prisoner in the gulag only to forget who he is and be wary of him.....
Old 13-10-19, 22:53   #120
Samz

Quote:
Yes, omg! >.<

Were there multiple writers who forgot what the other one did??? Like come on, seriously? Was it intentional to show Lara was selfish? I’m not buying it.

And Lara trying find the only ‘mysterious’ prisoner in the gulag only to forget who he is and be wary of him.....
It was still just Rihana in Rise I think.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote