Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 20-01-21, 15:16   #1
XLave

Default What is the best version to replay it nowdays?

Because Eidos and Square don't seem concerned about the 25th Anniversary of the franchise, I will play every TR along 2021 (except Rise and Shadow, which I don't have) starting for the first one.
I want to play a faithful version of the classic but with something new in the visuals to spice up the experience a bit. Last year I beat it with OpenLara and it's a great experience in terms of graphics but there are still some little things that change from the original like the IA (the enemies are kinda morons and weak and some platforming is kinda broken).
I also played it with TombATi with some textures pack but none of them are finished 100%, and also with Glidos.
I don't really know what I want but something with faithful textures remake, FMV Lara will be great and (and I know this is more complicated) 60fps.
What are your suggestions?
XLave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-21, 15:52   #2
CircusBabysGal

If you manage to get FMV Lara and a Texture pack at the same time it would be best to replay the game graphically, so far it's not possible to play TR1 in 60fps and not really with the other classics (besides AoD) either, but if you want the best true vanilla experience I'd say the PS1 version is the best version to play on.
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-21, 16:05   #3
TombRager

You can also try using the TombATI patch or gidierre's patch, both do things like restoring the game's soundtrack and allowing you to play the Unfinished Business expansion.
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-21, 16:26   #4
XLave

I never heard of gidierre's patch and Google don't give any results with that name, could be this one?: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=932208684
Old 20-01-21, 16:43   #5
TombRager

It's this one over here.

You can also try the TombATI patch.
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-21, 18:02   #6
Yuki Senoue

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLave View Post
I never heard of gidierre's patch and Google don't give any results with that name, could be this one?: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil.../?id=932208684
That's the one I use, and its awesome. As for the texture packs, Silverlok in Tombraider Xtra is complete for TR1, incomplete for Unfinished Business.

http://www.tombraiderxtra.com/artists.php?artist=Quest
Yuki Senoue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-21, 18:06   #7
UroshUchiha

When it comes to TR1, on my replays I use the GOG version with these things installed usually.

And there are certain things here that can come in handy, like PS1 Water Color Pallete if you like that and so on: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(1996)
UroshUchiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-21, 10:40   #8
LateRaider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroshUchiha View Post
When it comes to TR1, on my replays I use the GOG version with these things installed usually.

And there are certain things here that can come in handy, like PS1 Water Color Pallete if you like that and so on: https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Tomb_Raider_(1996)
what's the "main menu title screens" mod?
LateRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-21, 13:17   #9
XLave

Thanx for all the suggestions! I think I'll go with John Capon's texture pack and the Automated Fix installation because fix a lot of things without complicated stuff.
It's a pity that you can't have various mods at the same time like braid mod, the sky in Lost Valley, Lara FMV, and custom texture pack, at least I can't figure out how.
Another thing that bugs me a lot it's the flickering of the scenery, I read a while back that's because of the engine itself but even in higher resolutions (I tried 5120x2160) but it flickers a lot and the antialiasing it's awful. If you try OpenLara it's hard to go back

PD: I didn't know about the crocodile bug till now! It never happens to me, I'll add it to the setup.

Last edited by XLave; 21-01-21 at 13:18.
Old 21-01-21, 13:51   #10
Wooxman

Certain mods can't be used together, because the current method of modding TR I is by changing data in the level files. So you get a completely separate level file for each mod which is why you can't combine mods that work this way. Maybe some day in the future it'll be possible to inject mods without altering the level files, though I'm not really holding my breath for that.
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote