Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 26-09-18, 19:59   #1
Alterjano

Default Keen for a Tomb Raider sequel with a more lighthearted, fun and optimistic tone

Recently, I have played the Shadow of the Tomb Raider and I was content with the game. However, I do want to see a lighter and more optimistic tone for the sequel after SOTTR. I miss that the most from the classic games. Moreover, I think it is time for Lara to become more witty and engage in playful banter with old/new characters after the events of SOTTR. I understand the argument that she has symptoms of post traumatic stress after the events of the trilogy and that it wouldn't make sense for her to be carefree and jovial, but that issue could be solved with a time skip. For now, I am really looking forward to a sequel with another adventure filled story on the horizon, only this time with a jocose Lara Croft, who will shed the memories of her traumatic past and forge her own destiny as the Tomb Raider, she was always meant to be.

Last edited by Alterjano; 26-09-18 at 20:07.
Alterjano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-18, 19:59   #2
2001LC20
Inactive

I don't. However we can still have some lighthearted moments.
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-18, 20:15   #3
Alterjano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001LC20 View Post
I don't. However we can still have some lighthearted moments.
I think it would be nice if the game developers tried to tone down on the heavier and grittier story-telling elements. I had a hard time connecting with Lara's character in the rebooted trilogy because she was too serious most of the time and rightfully so, because of the experiences that she faced. But I feel like we already had three games of this and it would be nice if we can change it up for the next game. Ideally, I want Lara to move away from the shadows of her past after SOTTR and just find peace with herself. More importantly, I would like for Lara to look forward to more adventures in the future with an optimistic perspective.

Last edited by Alterjano; 27-09-18 at 07:46.
Old 26-09-18, 20:18   #4
2001LC20
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterjano View Post
I think it would be nice if the game developers tried to tone down on the heavier and gritter story-telling elements. I had a hard time connecting with Lara's character in the rebooted trilogy because she was too serious most of the time and rightfully so, because of the experiences that she faced. But I feel like we already had three games of this and it would be nice if we can change it up for the next game. Ideally, I want Lara to move away from the shadows of her past and just find peace with herself and more importantly, having more light and adventurous pursuits.
Like i said we can have lighthearted moments even double more than Shadow's but the next games should be appropriate for the era it is in.
2001LC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-18, 20:20   #5
Mickybyrne20

I don't think it has to be one or the other. I personally think if you make a game too light-hearted, then the story isn't particularly compelling, and it doesn't feel grounded enough for me.

I want more horror elements added because it adds to the intensity I think the TR universe is severely lacking. Shadow had a slightly more creepy atmosphere, and I was living for it.

I need something to shock me, or tug on my heart strings for it to be memorable. That doesn't mean Lara has to be serious 24/7, because human beings naturally try to see the best in every situation, and just because she's near death every 5 seconds doesn't mean she can't crack a joke about it. She's supposed to be an adrenaline junkie afterall.

That said even though the reboot completely failed it it's serious storytelling, doesn't mean it's the genre that fell flat, it's the writers, directors and actors that are the games downfall. Light-heartedness is just an alternative to what could have been a deep, and heartfelt story. I say let's not throw in the towel just because reboot Lara is incapable of having fun.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-18, 20:53   #6
Aikon

I think that a lighter tone is easier to deliver and to handle. Just throw some character interaction and jokes here and there, lush environments and it's basically done.

Although I prefer the dark one if it's done properly. Not horror/survival though.
Some thriller/crime stuff IMHO can help TR and Lara herself stand out.
But it's quite hard to make it properly: nowadays they just put dead bodies, some blood and maybe the overused zombie-like enemies everywhere and call it dark -.-
Aikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-18, 21:22   #7
Alterjano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickybyrne20 View Post
That said even though the reboot completely failed it it's serious storytelling, doesn't mean it's the genre that fell flat, it's the writers, directors and actors that are the games downfall. Light-heartedness is just an alternative to what could have been a deep, and heartfelt story. I say let's not throw in the towel just because reboot Lara is incapable of having fun.
Yeah, I agree, especially about the point that you made above, in regards to the criticism surrounding the story-telling of the rebooted trilogy. After reflecting on my previous comment, I suppose it was an overreaction to what I feared was something that bothered me about the reboot series. To be honest, I must have casually dismissed these concerns in the past due to enjoying said games. However, I couldn't help but notice more issues in regards to the narrative of the trilogy after a careful retrospection on my part. With the weaknesses in plot development and writing made apparent to me, I thought these issues could be alleviated if the writers were to approach the sequel to SOTTR from the perspective of a fun, thrilling and light adventure, with a tone similar to Legend but with obvious improvements to game play mechanics and length. Though, more importantly, I was really hoping for Lara to be more jaunty, vivacious and charismatic in her next adventure, so much so that it would be easy for us to fall in love with her character and story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikon View Post
I think that a lighter tone is easier to deliver and to handle. Just throw some character interaction and jokes here and there, lush environments and it's basically done.
Sure, it will be easier to write and deliver a story with a lighter tone but I think that's underselling the immense complexity and ambition in successfully creating stories and nuanced characters in that respect. Truth be told, I am hoping for things to change in the sequel as Lara's future should not be defined by her dark past. If that means, we finally see Lara come to terms with how she views her own destiny, would it not be befitting of her to have a strong sense of adventure with a bit of fun on the side. Who could say no to that idea?

Last edited by Alterjano; 27-09-18 at 07:45.
Old 26-09-18, 21:26   #8
biscuits

I think they should take a page from the reboot comics that came out in 2014. Those were VERY light hearted and funny. Reboot Lara was a very funny and silly character in those books.

For reference, you could check my threads detailing how the games can learn from the comics. I made like a million of those
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-18, 21:44   #9
Alterjano

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
I think they should take a page from the reboot comics that came out in 2014. Those were VERY light hearted and funny. Reboot Lara was a very funny and silly character in those books.

For reference, you could check my threads detailing how the games can learn from the comics. I made like a million of those
My goodness, really? That is lovely to hear. I can't wait to read them. Also, I would love to get to an opportunity to read the threads that you mentioned in your above comment. Honestly, I miss some of the funny and witty lines that Lara made in Legend and the older games. I was hoping for some of that in the reboot trilogy. I suppose reading the comics is a good place to start. Thank for that biscuits, I appreciate it!

Last edited by Alterjano; 26-09-18 at 21:52.
Old 26-09-18, 22:37   #10
biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterjano View Post
My goodness, really? That is lovely to hear. I can't wait to read them. Also, I would love to get to an opportunity to read the threads that you mentioned in your above comment. Honestly, I miss some of the funny and witty lines that Lara made in Legend and the older games. I was hoping for some of that in the reboot trilogy. I suppose reading the comics is a good place to start. Thank for that biscuits, I appreciate it!
You're welcome
For reference, here are some of the threads I wrote:
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=220634
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=220085
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote