Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 12-06-20, 13:29   #21
Blackmoor

I don't agree with you, I think they're so insignificant that if you hadn't played Rise they would go over your head. Nothing that will stop you so that's it's necessary to play Rise first.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 15:23   #22
shiajun

Wow, thanks everyone, I will take all of this into consideration. I just noticed Steam has a demo for Shadow, so maybe I'll try that out to. I am a bit of a completionist, but I think I can force myself to do this out of sequence based on the aspects you mention. It seems Rise's gameplay is more akin to Yamatai's Shantytown. It's fun, but I do want more of a tomby feel this time around. Also, I've never been too much of a fan of getting Lara's family involved in all of the globe trotting. It always felt like a crutch that robbed her of her self-created motivations, so I might get a bit annoyed with that.

As of right now, I only have time/money to spend on one of these, might end up being Shadow.
shiajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-20, 15:50   #23
Rai

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiajun View Post
Wow, thanks everyone, I will take all of this into consideration. I just noticed Steam has a demo for Shadow, so maybe I'll try that out to. I am a bit of a completionist, but I think I can force myself to do this out of sequence based on the aspects you mention. It seems Rise's gameplay is more akin to Yamatai's Shantytown. It's fun, but I do want more of a tomby feel this time around. Also, I've never been too much of a fan of getting Lara's family involved in all of the globe trotting. It always felt like a crutch that robbed her of her self-created motivations, so I might get a bit annoyed with that.

As of right now, I only have time/money to spend on one of these, might end up being Shadow.
Honestly go with your own preferences. I think the demo for Shadow is Cozumel through to the Tsunami, so is a pretty good introduction, it's also the beginning of the game, so you won't feel lost in any way. If you are curious about Rise, maybe watching a play through might help?
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-20, 01:31   #24
indigo1993

One thing I feel we haven't mentioned yet is the environment. Rise is predominantly set in snow/ice. You'll be seeing a lot of ice in that game. There's a lot of white and blue.

Shadow takes place in Peru, and if you're familiar with Metal Gear Solid 3, just imagine that game but 3 times bigger. That's how the jungle in Shadow feels like. You truly get lost in it all. Rise is quite open too in some points but not to the extent that shadow does.
Both Rise and Shadow feature some interesting puzzles, but I really have to tip my hat to shadow on that. The puzzles are of that kind that make you actually feel intelligent when you figure it out. Shadow seems to draw inspiration from India/South Pacific Tomb Raider 3, while Rise seems to be more inspired by TR 2: it can be big but you always know where to go.
On that note, I should also say Shadow features a lot more underwater segments, and I personally find them gorgeous. I almost always die though hahaha

I like both games, but when I'm able to ignore some of Lara's ridiculous outfits in Shadow, I see myself faced with a game that feels to me like when I first played tomb raider as a little kid, and had my imagination filling in all the gaps left by the lack plot and the limited graphics. At the time I didn't even speak English, so I had even more room for my imagination to wander -- Shadow feels like everything my imagination had envisioned when I was a little kid and played TR 2 & 3 for the first time.

My one complaint with shadow is that they really stripped down the combat on this game. I'm glad it's not a COD like TR 2013 was, but they really kinda took it to an extreme haha. Rise is a little more balanced on that sense. Wolves respawn, bears are always fun, and there's also more people to kill

Last edited by indigo1993; 17-07-20 at 01:33.
indigo1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-20, 01:40   #25
charmedangelin

Depends, while each game is technically connected, storywise they are pretty stand alone. It's not like you will hear any events that happened in Rise mentioned in Shadow.

Having said that I personally fine Rise the better game then Shadow.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-20, 18:38   #26
jackraider
Inactive

I didn’t really like Rise! I enjoyed 2013 game tho. Still haven’t played Shadow , but waiting for FERAL to contact me back and see if my Mac is compatible.
jackraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-20, 19:30   #27
jajay119

I much preferred 2013 to Rise personally. I've played Shadoe twice am looking to play it again in the near future but I have 0 motivation to go back and play Rise again. I dont know why.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-20, 19:47   #28
jackraider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
I much preferred 2013 to Rise personally. I've played Shadoe twice am looking to play it again in the near future but I have 0 motivation to go back and play Rise again. I dont know why.
Me too!! I replayed 2013 for collectibles, but had no desire to go through Rise again. Very boring game that looked VERY pretty. Hoping Shadow is better.
Old 24-07-20, 19:51   #29
jajay119

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackraider View Post
Me too!! I replayed 2013 for collectibles, but had no desire to go through Rise again. Very boring game that looked VERY pretty. Hoping Shadow is better.
I personally thought it was - it's a very divisive experience (what isn't here, right?) but I thought Lara as a character got a bit more expansion, the gameplay was much more in line with exploring and puzzles. They did drop the ball massively with the combat though so just be ready for that if you liked how it was in 2013. It's not as immediately pretty as Rise but then it's not the same Ice and Snow textures splashed everywhere and it has a lot of animated foliage which looks good in other ways. Personally in terms of art style etc. I think it feels like a much more organic sequel to 2013 than Rise did - I'm honestly happy to just ignore Rise ever happened at this point

I hope you like it
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-20, 19:56   #30
jackraider
Inactive

I hope my Mac can run it!!