Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 21-07-20, 12:51   #1
TR1249

Default Your definition of a Tomb Raider Game

Seeing all those discussions over the forums, I thought we could dedicate a whole thread to it.

Everyone got a different definition about what a TR Game needs to include, so that it could count as a real "Tomb Raider".

I will be happy to read all the polite answers in this thread
TR1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 12:54   #2
Vaskito

Tomb Raider is Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider is real is tomb raider, raider tomb.

-

To me, British Archaeologist named Lara Croft, who loves exploring and finding new secrets and uncover pieces of history. The games explore ancient places, holding century old secrets, and protecting them with deadly defenses. Platforming, coupled with some puzzles. Combat is also a must, to some balanced degree. So far, there isn’t a TR game that hasn’t felt like one, even if for example 2013 is more action focused, it still retains all of the foundations of TR, by having platforming, puzzles (simple ones, ok), ancient places and mysteries with a strong willed Lara. Every game firs in the action-adventure genre, even if some gravitate more towards either extremes

Last edited by Vaskito; 21-07-20 at 13:00.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 12:55   #3
Tomb Raidering

Lara herself is a Tomb Raider, so I consider any game she is in a TR game.

Plus, having:
• Tombs
• Dungeons
• Caves
• Ruins
• Temples
• Puzzles
• Platforming
—makes a TR game “more TR” if you get what I mean.

So, yes... AoD and the Reboot TR games are Tomb Raider games.

Last edited by Tomb Raidering; 21-07-20 at 12:57.
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 14:26   #4
Yeauxleaux

There must be a tomb, or at least some kind of historical heritage-y site, visited at some point. There has not yet been a Tomb Raider game that didn't have this at some point. There's been some without literal tombs, but they have all contained at least once site that could be considered an archaeological site a treasure hunter would be attracted to.

Aside from that, my ideal TR game would contain;
- Level design that prioritises exploration, but not necessarily by going full open world or with huge empty lifeless hubs. The classics had a very specific way of doing this; many levels were basically a series of small interconnected hubs in close proximity to eachother, with branching paths, and I think that made for very interesting level design
- Levels that you have to quite literally solve in order to progress, it's a puzzle.
- Tricky platforming
- A small amount of combat thrown in, spread somewhat evenly
- A variety of traps
- An interesting, contradictory mix of whimsical larger-than-life adventure (especially with Lara and other characters being more cartoony fun characters than super realistic boring people), that doesn't take itself too seriously, but can also get quite dark, horrific and scary at times in a very nonchalant way.
- Supernatural or sci-fi elements can come into play, although not to the degree that the game is totally not grounded in some logic at all.
- A variety of locations, if not in one game then across multiple games, that have very distinct visual styles and colours.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 21-07-20 at 14:29.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 14:30   #5
Night Crawler

Dressing up Lara Croft in different outfits and playing around in her big Barbie Mansion.
Night Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 14:40   #6
DVDSpike

Snake Raider
DVDSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 14:41   #7
suli
Inactive

Play TR1, TR4, TRA and Shadow and you'll know.
suli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 20:27   #8
larafan25

Tomb Raider is a brand name and Tomb Raider is a video game (not all video games...)

The video game (TR1-5) has mechanics, a pattern and a subject-matter.

Tomb Raider: Legend is a spin-off from Tomb Raider, it is a re-imagining, it is deliberately inaccurate. It is also as old as it was new... The Tomb Raider Reboot is a spin-off from Tomb Raider, it is a re-imagining, it is deliberately inaccurate. It is also as old as it was new...

Tomb Raider brand fans (everyone)... some of them want another handheld game, the likes of Tomb Raider: The Prophecy...

Some have accepted the games media narrative, the status quo, that what is is what is, and nothing changes... and that there can only be (for obvious attractive reasons) the Tomb Raider: Reboot and not a side-devotion to a Classic Tomb Raider game, because "if I don't like Classic Tomb Raider, why would anyone else?"...

If they make "Tomb Raider" into a first-person VR... the conversation will only get older and older I'd assume.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 20:29   #9
Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
Tomb Raider is a brand name and Tomb Raider is a video game (not all video games...)

The video game (TR1-5) has mechanics, a pattern and a subject-matter.

Tomb Raider: Legend is a spin-off from Tomb Raider, it is a re-imagining, it is deliberately inaccurate. It is also as old as it was new... The Tomb Raider Reboot is a spin-off from Tomb Raider, it is a re-imagining, it is deliberately inaccurate. It is also as old as it was new...

Tomb Raider brand fans (everyone)... some of them want another handheld game, the likes of Tomb Raider: The Prophecy...

Some have accepted the games media narrative, the status quo, that what is is what is, and nothing changes... and that there can only be (for obvious attractive reasons) the Tomb Raider: Reboot and not a side-devotion to a Classic Tomb Raider game, because "if I don't like Classic Tomb Raider, why would anyone else?"...

If they make "Tomb Raider" into a first-person VR... the conversation will only get older and older I'd assume.
...wait what?
Fantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-20, 20:30   #10
charmedangelin

After all these years this thread has finally been made.

Oh boy

Anyways I'll post when I get in my laptop as my post is likely to be very long as I will be explaining this in full detail, the pillars, the core elements and substance the make up Tomb Raider and not Tomb Raider the brand.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote