Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 30-07-20, 18:11   #1
neonwave

Default mod tr2 skins

I want to recolor the default skin from TR2 (the first one) but how do I recolor the meshes? Do I have to modify every single mesh texture? or there is a specific program that makes it easier?
neonwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-20, 18:43   #2
Kapu

Disclaimer: I don't know much about TR2 modding - but if you wanted to change the color of Lara's top from blue/green to red (for example), you'd need to export her textures, recolor them, and then import them back into the game. You wouldn't have to touch her meshes if that's all you wanted to do, and you wouldn't need to modify every single mesh texture, just the relevant ones.

Just for demonstration, this is all of Lara's textures from her TR1 outfit (sorry, didn't have an unedited TR2 model around). So if you wanted to make this top red instead of blue/green, you'd need to find all the textures that include Lara's top, copy them into Photoshop (or similar), color them red, and then paste them over the old textures.

There's no software that can do this for you, you just have to pick out the textures by hand. Fortunately these old school models use very few textures, so it's not that hard to find the ones you need.

Last edited by Kapu; 30-07-20 at 18:45.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-20, 13:36   #3
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

You can use TRtexture (takes a long time to texture a model), or Strpix, or the one I prefer for texturing is Pixstr, because i have been using it for years

PIXSTR...
To rotate a model use hold right button on mouse and rotate mouse.
To zoom in and out use hold right button on mouse and Ctrl button. Push mouse.
Move model Up down left right, hold right button on mouse and shift button, move mouse about.

Now you can either work with one body part mesh at a time or the whole model at once.

Now look at picture, to replace a mesh from the texture block to the model, click on selected texture in the texture block (on right) and then click on model to texture it.
To get a texture from model, right click on model, and you have that selected texture, that can be put on elsewhere on the model.

You do have to click on each mesh segment in the model to colour it.
It looks as though it will take a long time, but once you are used to it,
it can be done quickly. I would save often, so you do not lose a lot of work.

Coloured textures (bright red in TR2) will not let you texture. Luckily there are not many of these in a model. In this model you see it on the gun holster, and you have to convert it to a normal texture first, by exporting the body part mesh (gun holster) to 'export to DXF', and it can then be textured. Note this usually messes up the textures in the body part, but you just retexture the meshes. (What about the DXF you ask? well you do not use the DXF at all, its just the action of 'exporting to DXF' sorts out the coloured texture by converting it to a normal texture)

Just experiment with it, and that should get you started in texturing models

Using the right click button of mouse to get in close on a model...makes it easy to texture.

Last edited by The Great Chi; 05-08-20 at 10:10.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote