Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 01-09-19, 22:26   #1
Eitr Drinker

Default Xbox One - Vanishing Textures?

Hi. I recently purchased an Xbox One S, and specifically chose it over PlayStation so I could play the DLC levels at long last.

Overall, the game runs fine, but I have noticed that certain textures tend to vanish at random times, usually when rotating the camera or when lots of light effects were in play. Certain chunks will just disappear, with nothing but solid background color visible. This tends to occur only if I "pause" the camera at a specific angle, and they'll reappear if I rotate slightly in either direction. It also seems to affect different areas of the screen each time I restart the game; there's no real consistency in predicting it. Southern Mexico seemed to be hit hardest with this overall - lots of disappearing patches in Xibalba, including Lara's costume at times.

Having never played the game natively on a 360, was this an issue on that console? Or could it be a result of the 360 emulation on the One models? Just curious if anyone else has encountered this.

Thanks in advance.
Eitr Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 05:30   #2
Boobandie

I don't recall experiencing any graphical glitches during my playthroughs of the DLC's as well as the main game with my Xbox360 copy. I recall some issues with shading on Lara have been reported on here for the Xbox One, it must be something to do with how it emulates the 360.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 18:52   #3
annl

I did, crashes too (Although I played it as soon as it released on backwards compatibility. Bad emulation unfortunately. Mexico is the worst however. Get past that and the game seems fine. DLC has no problems too.

I understand, I bought the xbox version so I could play the DLC too.
annl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-19, 21:38   #4
Grenade

Emulation problems I guess. Anniversary used to have texture issues as well until it got patched recently.
Grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-19, 16:54   #5
Eitr Drinker

Thanks for the info, everyone. I figured it was an emulation issue. A patch was installed a few days after I downloaded it, but it didn't seem to change anything that I could see.

I have noticed that the textures are less likely to vanish if Lara's personal light is turned off. I've also had a few freezes which necessitated rebooting the system but it seems to be rare. Perhaps future patches will fix these problems.
Old 16-09-19, 15:12   #6
Caesum

TRU emulation seems to be pretty neat anyway I think. If you have ever played Fable 2 (which is xbox exclusive so one would think Microsoft would especially care for its performance) then you might have noticed absolutely horrible audio deformation that can hurt your ears. What's worse, only restarting the title seem to fix the issue (temporarily).
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-19, 19:09   #7
NGK2791

They recently released an update for underworld I haven’t had a chance to check it out but hopefully this issue is fixed.
NGK2791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-19, 09:36   #8
Eitr Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGK2791 View Post
They recently released an update for underworld I haven’t had a chance to check it out but hopefully this issue is fixed.
That patch installed just a few days after I first bought it. It doesn't seem to have fixed the disappearing texture issue, so I'm not sure what it might've changed. Perhaps I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling it just to see.
Old 26-09-19, 15:21   #9
Lior_K

Had same issue with missing texture was so bad in Mexico I decided to uninstall the game and stick to my 360 when it comes to LAU.

If they actually fixed it I would gladly give it another go.
Lior_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-19, 17:04   #10
Eitr Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior_K View Post
Had same issue with missing texture was so bad in Mexico I decided to uninstall the game and stick to my 360 when it comes to LAU.

If they actually fixed it I would gladly give it another go.
That's the level I noticed had the most trouble, too. It was especially bad when Lara's personal light was on. Turning it off seemed to diminish the problem but not entirely.

Besides that level, I've also noticed occasional issues in Lara's Shadow, but usually only if I rotate the camera or backtrack.

I hope a new patch is on the way.