www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 08-10-19, 16:35   #61
Cat Woman
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eitr Drinker View Post
Personally, I love Underworld. It's one of my favorites. I've replayed it about 5 times over the past 4 months, after not having it at my disposal for years. Oh, and I prefer the Wii version of Croft Manor, with its warmer color palette and that beautiful organ music.
I enjoyed Underworld too. Havenít played it for a long time as I moved to xBox One. However, I was able to download all three TR games (Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld). Playing in order now. Forgot Croft Manor was in there, so canít wait.
Old 10-10-19, 21:41   #62
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider Underworld feels like TRAOD 2.0 except the storyline is way worse in the end. It started up as a more mature continuation of Tomb Raider Legend, only to be completely destroyed during development hell.

There is an interesting article where CD takes a look back and says what went right and wrong during game development (CLICK) and there are some interesting points that even include death of one member of the team. It seems the production was messed up due to the team being split in two (one which worked on the unified engine and the other that worked on TRU) and multiple core people departing from the team.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-19, 21:46   #63
Chamayoo
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
Tomb Raider Underworld feels like TRAOD 2.0 except the storyline is way worse in the end. It started up as a more mature continuation of Tomb Raider Legend, only to be completely destroyed during development hell.

There is an interesting article where CD takes a look back and says what went right and wrong during game development (CLICK) and there are some interesting points that even include death of one member of the team. It seems the production was messed up due to the team being split in two (one which worked on the unified engine and the other that worked on TRU) and multiple core people departing from the team.
I was searching for this precious article for months (or years ?) !! Thanks ! I'm pretty sure it would enlighten some members here about what's going with this game.

Last edited by Chamayoo; 10-10-19 at 21:48.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-19, 15:46   #64
LaraCablara
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post

Doesnít sound like development hell to me

Looks like they had a few setbacks on the tech side of things but nothing too crazy.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-19, 07:45   #65
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
Doesnít sound like development hell to me

Looks like they had a few setbacks on the tech side of things but nothing too crazy.
"Technical setbacks" can mean a lot. TRAOD also had "technical setbacks" and you know what happened. Crystal Dynamics had to deal with understaffed team due to Anniversary production, barely or not working engine because of shared technology and another team working on it. They lost their art director, lead designer and lead level designer (who are super important as you know) during the production. Also they mention "designers creating layouts based on paper metrics, where the mechanics would not be playable until later" which basically means they had to return to the levels multiple times and redesign them in order to simply be playable. In the meantime they also had to accomodate time to create demos for marketing purposes (I suppose it means separate branches like for E3 demos). And if I understand correctly they didn't schedule enough polish time at the end of the development, which explains why the controls are just so broken.

Besides:
Quote:
The categories described here are only five of many more. (Broken builds and long build times get honorable mentions, and the added distinction of raising blood pressures more than probably all other issues combined.)
So the article only has few honorable mentions and not all the problems.
Old 14-10-19, 20:01   #66
jajay119
Tomb Raider

If accounts are to be believe itís CDís own fault that they were lacking on time for TRU as they took TRA in a somewhat insidious way. Had they left Core to do that as a side project and had TRU as the direct continuation to Legend it was meant to be I suspect things would have been very different.
Old 14-10-19, 23:41   #67
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
If accounts are to be believe itís CDís own fault that they were lacking on time for TRU as they took TRA in a somewhat insidious way. Had they left Core to do that as a side project and had TRU as the direct continuation to Legend it was meant to be I suspect things would have been very different.
While I too think it would have been better for both games to have TRAE come out while they focused on Legend2, to be fair to Crystal they had to fight Core for Anniversary. It was due to be released only six months after Legend came out, and if it was more of a success than Legend then Underworld may not have happened at all.

Only one studio was going to make TR games, and they made sure it was them. What do you think Core would be doing after TRAE if it had been released to positive sales/reviews? AOD failing on those fronts is what got Eidos looking elsewhere in the first place.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-19, 16:22   #68
Caesum
Tomb Raider

Tbh I doubt Crystal Dynamics had a direct influence on SCi when it comes to TRAE. According to Core Eidos really loved the work done on TRAE and they were willing to release it. It was SCi who suddenly decided to cancel it, but because of PR concerns. I wouldn't be surprised if TRAE was cancelled solely because the TR franchise was already given to Crystal Dynamics by then and because they were cutting costs. Core Design had no strong IP at that time so it was an easy decision. Even if Crystal Dynamics did mention their TRA to some SCi folks it only added up to something that was already considered.

Last edited by Caesum; 15-10-19 at 16:24.