Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Fan and Community Showcase

Old 30-09-19, 21:17   #1
jynx20

Default Tr3 Backplot

I've found a website that includes TR1-5 backplot. But in the Tr3 backplot, there are many parts that we don't see while playing the game. I can't give the name of the website due to forum rules. The backplot explains how Lara got the information about Infada Stone and how she went to India, Nevada, South Pasific, and London. I was wondering if the blackplot is true.

I'm doing copy paste of a small part of the backplot. (a part that explains how Lara went to Nevada)

Lara Croft is sitting alone in first class of a Boeing 757 bound for Henderson, Nevada1. Lara had just visited Las Vegas within the past year, but had she flown back into Las Vegas this trip, she wouldn't be afforded the privacy she is currently enjoying. She is clearly disturbed and it can be heard in her voice as she talks into the skyphone. (Skip down to walkthrough)

Lara is on the skyphone with Dr. Willard. Willard seems to have a knack for melodrama. He insisted to brief Lara only when she is en route to Nevada. "...What do you mean, that's all you know?" Lara asks, raising her voice into the phone.

"It's like I told ye," Willard replies.

"No, tell me the whole story. This time from the beginning," Lara demands.

Willard complies, "Barr's journal records that Jonson's untimely demise takes place shortly after Caulfield's death while the HMS Beagle was still anchored at Tierra Del Fuego. The men were collecting samples in the Patagonia region of Chile when they were ambushed by some Tehuelches tribesmen. The Tehuelches killed Jonson and dragged his body away into the mountains. It was particularly unusual since the Tehuelches tribe had been formerly known as being quite a peaceful people. Anyhow, they found what was left of Jonson's body, but the artifact was gone."

"So how was the artifact located?" Lara asks.

"Well, that's where this story gets interesting," Willard continues. "The artifact was basically lost until the 1970's. You know that from 1932 through 1973 Chile was an electoral democracy." Willard pauses to listen of Lara is still paying attention.

Lara grunts, "Yes I know this. Get on with the history lesson."

Willard continues, "The people of Chile elected Salvador Allende as president in 1970. Allende was now the first and only Marxist in the Western Hemisphere. Soon, the Chileans could not tolerate Allende's rule, while simultaneously the United States was concerned by the encroachment of Marxism into the western hemisphere. At the command of US President, Richard Nixon, CIA agents were sent into Chile to promote a coup d'etat in Chile, in an operation that was code-named 'FUBELT'. In September of 1973, with military support provided by the US Department of Defense, the Chilean military junta overthrew the Chilean government and Augusto Pinochet was placed into power, ousting Allende."

Just as Lara is wondering about the point of this history lesson, Willard makes the connection, "Declassified documents state that the US involvement was to crush Marxism in the West, but my sources tell me long before Allende was elected into power, US CIA agents discovered that the Chilean government was in the possession of a rare element of unknown origins which had military applications. Apparently Chilean anthropologists that were studying the Tehuelches people found the artifact and brought it to the attention of their government. While the country was busy recovering from a revolution, FBI and CIA agents in Chile appropriated the artifact and any technology that the Chilean government may have developed."

"You're telling me that a bloody military coup that turned South America's oldest democracy into a seventeen year martial rule was to conceal the extraction of this artifact?"

"Declassified documents indicates involvement of the US National Security Council, the Department of Defense, and the FBI as well as the Department of State in the coup," Willard mentions. "I canna say for certain, but there certainly a possibility that this fact was hidden from the public."

Lara asks in amazement. "So how did you trace it to Nevada?"

"Well," Willard pauses, "When I started to investigate the whereabouts of the artifact, I found a reference to it in a journal article that the Chilean anthropologists published. I could not get any information about the artifact until just recently when I located a source in the United States, who calls himself the 'Desert Rat'..."

"Desert... Rat?" Lara asks skeptically.

Willard clears his throat, "He tells me that the US government transferred the artifact directly to a research facility in Nevada. That's where it is now."

"So do you think they would give it to me if I asked nicely?" Lara shoots to Willard sarcastically. A flight attendant wanders by and asks if Lara would like glass of wine. Lara politely refuses, and continues into the phone, "Give me a good reason to infiltrate a high security U.S. military installation to get you your precious artifact."

Willard's tone gets deadly serious, "Look here, what that artifact did to Tony is just the tip of the iceberg. We haven't begun to realize the full potential of this unknown substance. The Chilean government knew it had military significance. The US government knows it as well. What I'm trying to say is this: if someone manages to find a way to develop a weapon using this substance, the results might well make Hiroshima and Nagasaki look like a picnic! I'm not willing to take that chance, are you?"

Lara is silent as she weighs her options. She is familiar with accounts of the sudden onset of aberrant behavior in the Tehuelches people that lasted several generations. Lara's intuition tells her there's some truth to Willard's words. After thinking it over, Lara finally sighs, "I'll try..."

Willard sighs back, "Don't try. Find it. I've given your description to my informant. He will meet you at the airport." Willard hangs up.

Lara is more troubled now than ever, but she is still determined. There's definitely more to these artifacts than mere scientific curiosity. A voice over the plane's intercom announces that the passengers and flight attendants should prepare for arrival.

Lara disembarks the plane and steps down the jetway to the terminal. The waiting area is fairly deserted. Lara looks around as a thin seedy-looking man with long tangled blonde hair and a goatee walks up to Lara.

"And you would be?" Lara asks.

"Desert Rat," the man whispers.

"Of course," Lara says, under her breath. "I suppose I'm to go with you?" She asks him.

"My car is parked in the garage," he tells him and starts to walk away.

Lara follows him past security, down to baggage claim, "Just a moment," Lara tells him. They walk past the baggage carousels to a baggage claim counter. Lara hands the attendant a claim ticket. The man asks to see some identification, and Lara shows him her passport. He turns and walks into a back room and emerges with a medium sized plain cardboard box. He pushes a release form across the counter to Lara. She examines it, writes her initials at various places, and finally signs the bottom. He takes the form back and hands Lara the package. Lara smiles and says, "Thanks."

They proceed out of the baggage claim area to the parking garage to where Desert Rat has parked his car. Lara looks at the old Ford Pinto. Its original color was probably beige, but now it's covered with large patches of primer grey and one of the front fenders has apparently been replaced from a junk yard and is a forest green. Lara looks at the car, then at the man, then back at the car, and back at the man and asks him, "This is just a little too stereotypical, isn't it?"

He stares blankly at her and answers, "I don't know what you mean". He climbs into the drivers seat and pulls up the lock on the passenger side. Lara opens the door for herself and climbs into the car. The vinyl seats are torn and have been repaired with grey duct tape. She looks into the back seat to find a towel tossed over a pile of what appears to be junk. Beneath the towel she can see a tangle of wires and various surveillance equipment. The Rat starts the Pinto. The engine rattles so hard Lara thought the car would shake apart. They exit the garage and stop at the toll booth just outside of the parking structure.

The Rat hands a ticket to the man in the toll booth. A LED screen outside of the car flashes four dollars. Desert Rat turns and stares blankly Lara once again. Lara rolls her eyes and reaches into her pocket and produces a five dollar bill and hands it to the Rat, who in turn hands it to attendant. The dollar change is returned to the Rat who begins to hand it to Lara. Lara shakes her head and says, "Keep it. It looks like you could use it." The Rat shrugs and pockets the dollar, and they head off onto the highway.

"Where are we going?" Lara asks.

"There's a canyon south of Nellis Air Force Base. I'll drop you off there," the Rat tells Lara. "There is a hydroelectric dam there that supplies part of the base's power. Nearby is an outpost. Nellis is a big base, so if you need some wheels to get around, you can probably boost something there. Just watch out, I hear that they've been doing some blasting in the canyon. Don't worry about the F-117A Nighthawk stealth fighters that you might spot doing fly-bys. They're always conducting some routine training exercises. They're used to spotting teenagers sneaking around the base anyways."

"Where am I supposed to go once I get inside?"

"Sorry babe, you're on your own there," the Rat tells her. "But let me tell you this: the guys that work on the dam and at the outpost; they're not what they seem."

"What does that mean?" Lara asks.
"Well, they're not in uniform, but they're definitely involved. I think they're 'Majestic'," the Rat says.

Lara is perplexed, "What? Sharp dressers?"

"Hardly! Sheesh!" The Rat exclaims. "Where'd Willard dig you up? You ain't got a clue, do you?" Lara glares at him. "Look, just watch yourself, okay? Those guys will beat the tar out of you first and if you're still alive, ask questions later." They continue to drive as Lara soaks it all in.

After several minutes of silence, Lara asks, "What's 'Majestic'2?"

"If you don't already know, then you probably wouldn't believe me if I told you. The truth would only leave you without answers," the Rat answers. Lara decides that this cat and mouse game isn't worth playing. The remainder of the drive is silent.

The Pinto turns off of the main highway and travels down a dirt road for several miles. Rat turns off near a canyon. Lara climbs out of the Pinto. She tears open the cardboard box and removes the top layer of packing material. Within are her weapons, carefully packed in molded blue foam. She straps on each weapon, turns and slides down into the canyon
jynx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-19, 21:31   #2
Tomb Raidering

Seems like a fanfic, but I like the small details like Lara refusing the offered wine while speaking on the phone and some governmental stuff linking the the artifact to Area 51... ^.^

Desert Rat, could be one of the Majestics himself...
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-19, 00:52   #3
Boobandie

This is the Tomb Raider Travellers Guide right?

Yeah that's fanfiction. Some details from the script were added by core staff (usually explaining pop-culture references, or precise quotes), but they state precisely which things are canon at the bottom of each page.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 09:22   #4
Heartache

nice read, now i kinda want books that are written like this for the stories of each classic game
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-19, 17:35   #5
Brendanlovesu1

oooooh this was a good read
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote