Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 21-09-19, 20:21   #1
slimy.boy

Default Your ideal Tomb Raider game?

Hey you guys, this is actually my first post! I just finished Shadow for the second time recently, and now that the trilogy is over and we’re in purgatory again, I’m starting to think a lot about the next game.

Although there were a lot things I liked about the current trilogy, I hated the whole survivalist schtick. I wish the game was about archeology and treasure and exploration rather than her getting beat up while saving the entire world from ending. A story about a small group of competing archeologist against Lara as a freelancer would be fun. Dual pistols as a weapon is obvious, but it’s too late to pretend that Cave woman Lara doesn’t exist, so I wouldn’t mind a bow as long as it’s not her main weapon. I also really just want to be able to fist fight with or without a melee weapon.

I’d really like to see the series have a slight futuristic feel in terms of gadgets and UI menu, similar to Legend and Underworld. For gameplay I want a more platform, puzzle based game with significantly less, mixed gendered enemies. I liked that in the original game there were only a few human enemies and they were all connected, and not part of some giant military unit.

AOD was too frustrating as a kid, so I’ve been dying for a good urban environment in Tomb Raider, although London and Tokyo were cool at the time, but a small open city you can run around, climb and possibly drive in would be so cool. I like Shadow’s large open areas. It’d be nice if there were multiple of those around the world, with a futuristic globe map like TR3. Maybe with a different vehicle in every location????

I really want the manor to come back, along with at least Zip, the dialogue helped build character without making the game about Lara as a person. I loved the beginning of the first movie as a kid, so having an AR training room in the manor like the Arkham Knight games would be fun, along with everything else from the original games (shoutout to the four wheeler track, my old friend). Also a home invasion mode like the movie/2nd game!!

Anyways I’ve just written 4 paragraphs about Tomb Raider so I’m just going to leave it at that, I hope it’s not too long lololololol
slimy.boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-19, 20:37   #2
Tomb Raidering

My ideal TR?

1) The naturally evolved version of Shadow Lara. What’s next for her, and how’s she different this time? Hopefully cool, badass, and gorgeous...

2) Variety of weapons. Dual Pistols, a Desert Eagle/Revolver, a bow/crossbow (or change it with a fully fledged spear gun, Uzis, hand grenades etc... No more different variations of pistol, rifle, shotgun, bow.

3) Story: A more light-hearted direction should be taken. Enough ‘dark’ themes already. Light-hearted does not equal Funny-Nathan-Drake or James-Bond-Styled-Barbie...

That’s it.........
Tomb Raidering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-19, 23:36   #3
Chamayoo

My ideal Tomb Raider would be :

Platforming :

- Consistent jumps with momentum
- No attractions or magnetism
- A lot of parkour moves
- A lot a various structures to interact

Combat :

- Various enemies with a different way to defeat each ones. No 90% humans, lots of animals and supernatural creatures as well.
- Hand to hand combat, why not melee weapons as sell
- Various weapons, as Tomb Raiding said, not only variations of the same four weapons
- Underwater combat
- Ammos to not be abundant (at least for the more difficult options)

Puzzles :

- Mechanical, physical, environmental, riddles... The usual keyword : variety
- Key/object searching, with combinations and why not little riddles inside
- If possible challenging, but at least big and long ones to solve. I mean with significant steps in many rooms for instance. Or several little puzzles shaping a big one

Vehicles :

- I would appreciate three different vehicles. Bike, boat and quad for instance
- Use them to be fast against time, to access areas to sloppy for Lara alone, to make big stunts
- Love the possibility to slide like LC Relic Run, to avoid low structures

Exploration :

- If possible, complex level design
- The least linearity, alternative routes
- Invisible walls are forbidden
- A very interactive environment
- Not abusive, but some backtracking nevertheless

Traps :

- Variety. Not only the same two traps all over the game
- No slow motion except if really it is too fast to our human's eyes
- No (almost fluorescent) ropes to defeat the traps please

Story :

- Only told in cutscenes, no "narrative gameplay". I accept journals
- I don't think I'm demanding on that, just make surprising plot twists, interesting exploration on myths and some badass actions

Last edited by Chamayoo; 22-09-19 at 00:03.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-19, 01:17   #4
Blackmoor

At this stage I think I would settle for just a great story with an interesting mystery and Lara with some beautiful, exciting environments to explore.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-19, 08:39   #5
anniversarytr11

I would like the next game to be a soft reboot, still connected to the reboot universe but a slight jump in time, where Lara is now late 20's (like in the original TR).

Lara would be more charismatic, have ironic humour, sarcasm and a smart wittiness about her. She has a braid, and has gained a sense of style that gives her a sexy yet realistic look, a kind of halfway point between Reboot Lara, LAU and original Lara.

I think the colour schemes of the game should be a bit more exciting and it would be interesting to see how a game with several different levels set in completely different locations would work in next-gen. I also think the series really needs a focus on ancient civilizations that everyone knows about and would be more enthralling, like Egypt, Mayan or Greek or maybe a famous myth/legend like El Dorado or The Holy Grail.

I'm expecting there will be a complete overall of animations, we have been seeing the same animations since Reboot and even then I am sure there were some reworked animations from LAU. Lara needs much better combat capabilities, especially melee, why wouldn't she know how to fight? Give her real combat skills, a similar style to how she fights in last years movie. There also should be a dodge button.

I really like the customisation of difficulty levels in Shadow, that should be kept, especially turning off white ledges!!

I actually think Tomb Raider would do really well in taking inspiration from games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne, I really think less is more, less action pieces that are clearly trying to emulate the epic action scenes of Uncharted and more being left to explore a maze of tombs that all intertwine.
anniversarytr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-19, 11:58   #6
killchan

Problem solving oriented, intuitive and challenging exploration, engaging controls, no optional bs.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-19, 14:25   #7
Alterjano

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniversarytr11 View Post

I also think the series really needs a focus on ancient civilizations that everyone knows about and would be more enthralling, like Egypt, Mayan or Greek or maybe a famous myth/legend like El Dorado or The Holy Grail.

I actually think Tomb Raider would do really well in taking inspiration from games like Dark Souls and Bloodborne, I really think less is more, less action pieces that are clearly trying to emulate the epic action scenes of Uncharted and more being left to explore a maze of tombs that all intertwine.
I totally agree with you. I think we need less of an Uncharted influence in the next game. My hope is that the sequel will contain a more expansive and dynamic world with unique and ever changing biomes, and ofcourse with more of a metroidvania design, more deeper and extensive than Remedy's Control.

With regards to lost cities and ancient civilisations, I am hoping for unique ones that has never been covered before in this franchise or Uncharted (El Dorado, Shambhala, Iram of the Pillars/Ubar, Libertalia, lost cities of the Hoysala Empire). Something like the lost city of Kalahari in Southern Africa, the mythical Polynesian island of Hawaiki, the mysterious curse of Palmyra Atoll islands, and the lost legendary city of Gangga Negara in Malaysia.

Last edited by Alterjano; 27-09-19 at 14:30.
Alterjano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-19, 17:42   #8
TrustyBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alterjano View Post
I totally agree with you. I think we need less of an Uncharted influence in the next game. My hope is that the sequel will contain a more expansive and dynamic world with unique and ever changing biomes, and ofcourse with more of a metroidvania design, more deeper and extensive than Remedy's Control.
Playing Control really changed my perspective on what I'd want from a modern TR game. I think the developers would be foolish to not take inspiration from that game.

Though I don't know if making it even more metroidvania like than that game would be the smart idea, as a lot of people have already complained about how easy it is to get lost in there.

----------------------------

I think my ideal game would have TR1's atmosphere, a level design that mixes TR3 (Wide open levels; bright color palette; variety in locations & enemies) with Shadow (Hubs, Puzzles and emphasis on platforming), and a Lara that's a mix of her portrayals in TR4, Legend and Shadow.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-19, 19:41   #9
Portugalraider

From a gameplay perspective I actually created a thread sometime ago. It's TL/DR was: "No to open-world, yes for 3D-Metroidvania game, where exploration is mandatory, platforming is more consistent, puzzles are complex, combat is more varied in both enemy types and strategies, with a return of action puzzle-based boss battles. Globetrotting is doable but maybe try the 3D-Metroidvania formula on one location before, and let sequence-breaking be a thing." But I explain my ideas better in the thread.

Only thing that I would add is that areas should have more than one purpose. SotTR really shows why this is necessary with both good examples and bad examples:
  • GOOD - The Cenote: Its main puzzle area still has you having not only to do some platforming to traverse, but also be on your toes because Yaxxil would storm every time you solved a major step of the tomb. Say what you want about "too much combat" or whatever, but even the classics would throw something at you to shoot at when a puzzle or platforming challenge was met. Because without it things can also get boring. The Cenote is one of the few tombs, main or not, in SotTR that actually delivers in all core gameplay elements of Tomb Raider, and even if the focus shifts to one core, the others are also not ignored.
  • BAD - Basically most of all tombs/ puzzle areas: The puzzles are great, don't get me wrong. But some of the areas are big enough to have like one or two wolves jumping at you, or a jaguar, or any other non-human enemy, when you either first enter them, or you solve a major step. And you need that to keep you on your toes, else stuff can get boring. Too much combat is definitely bad for Tomb Raider, but so is too little, and SotTR was a bit too much on the "too little" side for my taste. Made things feel unbalanced.

All this to say that, even if one of the gameplay pillars is the main focus of one specific area, the other pillars should not be ignored in that same area.

As for narrative, for me they just need to abandon the too serious tone the three reboot games have, and go for the tone the reboot comics had: not afraid to go dark and emotional, but not afraid to go lighthearted and fun either.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-19, 10:39   #10
krycekuva

.- A continuation of shadows Lara. (not another reboot)

.- more isolation, less people to interact with.

.- more supernatural enemies and the choice to avoid combat alltogether.

.- complex level design with multiple paths and secrets that encourage hard core exploration.

.- more platforming

.- gradually increassing supernatural elements

.- some metroidvania elements and backtracking

.- easter eggs to previous and future games.
krycekuva is offline   Reply With Quote