Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 03-07-21, 18:26   #1
ColeMoles

Default What’s the largest level room wise you have built?

As a new builder, already reaching 118 rooms and only 1/3rd of the way through building the level, I want to know what peoples largest levels they were able to get away with and any errors they encountered on the way.

I’m thinking my level will be around 350-400 rooms in the end, I know about the 255 vertical stacked room limit and will make sure to stick to that, but nervous I’ll encounter other errors on the way. Don’t know if I should just split it it into two levels or keep going.

So yeah I’m genuinely curious to know what peoples maxed out rooms were in the editor, I’m using tomb editor of course.
ColeMoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 19:01   #2
justin

I only just started using TE, so I've never gone over 255 rooms

That said, I have used up an enormous amount of the 2d Map in my Languid Wastes level within Hellgate Saga:

This was also the first level I started with the anticipation of splitting before I even started, and I was glad I did (the blank map area on the top-right was where the level originally continued). Now I always plan for a "split point" in my levels to make for smooth transitions in case I do need to split. I've saved myself some headaches with this in mind.

Last edited by justin; 03-07-21 at 19:04.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 20:34   #3
Caesum

My cancelled Mountain of the Martyrs level for Tomb Raider the Dark Renaissance had over 270 rooms at one point, but I split the level into two parts and merged some of the rooms when I started hitting limits. The game and the level were cancelled eventually though and maybe for a good reason.

Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 20:38   #4
Matie

Wow, those are some huge maps!

The biggest I've built to date was for BtB2020, and even though the engine crumbled and struggled for some reason, it's nowhere near as big as other people's maps I'm sure. There is some verticality to some areas that's not so visible on the image.

My Mexico map may take over in the future once all planned new areas are built, going to have about 2 more large areas in addition to everything:

Matie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 20:42   #5
justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
[img]http://i.imgur.com/aSDupWDl.png[img]
Omg that is unimaginably enormous, you certainly got me beat

Last edited by AkyV; 04-07-21 at 10:18.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 16:26   #6
ColeMoles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matie View Post
Wow, those are some huge maps!

The biggest I've built to date was for BtB2020, and even though the engine crumbled and struggled for some reason, it's nowhere near as big as other people's maps I'm sure. There is some verticality to some areas that's not so visible on the image.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Me7EUcr.jpg[IMG]

My Mexico map may take over in the future once all planned new areas are built, going to have about 2 more large areas in addition to everything:

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/7qKFdVc.jpg[IMG]
How many rooms did you end up using in each of these maps?

Last edited by AkyV; 04-07-21 at 16:45.
ColeMoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 18:45   #7
AgentXP

I've built some big maps in my time, but I think the biggest probably has to be my BtB2020 map. Here, I made 3 copies of the same huge garden hub, (and one flipmap version), in order to change to 4 different seasons. I ran out of moveables, and almost ran out of rooms....

Some of my still unreleased Greek game maps built in NGLE are pretty large too...

Folly/Coliseum:

Midas:

Cistern:

^ I'll finish it...someday...when I'm not busy working on a competition level! lol
AgentXP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 01:14   #8
DaroRaider

Impressive what some users can achieve .. that level of Agent with those dimensions and complexity I could not reach it unless I was working year after year, hours and hours..

You are all talented artists!!

This was my last level released.. I could reach the number of 255 rooms, It is not sooo large in dimensions, but I used to stack rooms up and down, right and left with outdoors and hallways..
DaroRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 01:44   #9
LeelooBastet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentXP View Post

Wow i love that image !
Can i have the HD one please, i d like to get it as wallp <3
LeelooBastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-21, 01:57   #10
_TombExplorer_

Here is the second level of my upcoming debut adventure: Siberian Expedition
Hit so many limits with this one, despite it being a classic level(was going to be released for the CaC2019)
(PS: I didn't have much 2D space so had to continue the level under the actual level)

Last edited by _TombExplorer_; 05-07-21 at 01:58.
_TombExplorer_ is offline   Reply With Quote