Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Underworld

Old 13-07-19, 03:31   #61
Boobandie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireBitch View Post
maybe the "underground croft manor" level was taking place in vatican when they started thinking about this part ?
It does seem strange that there was a massive cathedral beneath ground level on her estate. That's not to say the article has any credit, just that the area always struck me as out of place.

Last edited by Boobandie; 13-07-19 at 03:32.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-19, 22:43   #62
LuckyEdge10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matie View Post
I'm not sure about the day/night cycle, I don't think I saw it mentioned anywhere, but I dug up an old article from February 2008 and it goes on a bit about a weather system, and more.

Apparently, the weather was going to be random/changeable, with fog on higher grounds, winds affecting the environment, bringing rain clouds with thunder. All this would have affected the gameplay as well, on certain areas the ground would get less solid due to showers, allowing you to access new areas, for example. The article compares the environments to those in Half-Life 2, where everything from the smallest rock to mountainsides can be manipulated or "used" in a way.

Also, when globe-trotting is mentioned, it also says the locations we were going to visit would include Italy and the Vatican, Australia and the Easter Island... and it mentions a new Croft Manor as a training area.

I remember reading all this before the game came out, I was really excited to see all of this, but none of the above became reality. It sounds so wild compared to what we got, it makes me think the writer of the article was imagining things, even though I'm sure they got all this information from official sources (they're introducing Crystal Dynamics as a British company though? ) There's also a "completion meter" at the end of the article, which at the time was at 60% (I guess it's a very rough estimate).
Oh my...this is so interesting. I never heard about this before.
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-19, 07:48   #63
dg1995

Thinking about cut/changed content in games will only make you suffer.Since you will only get disappointed for the cool sounding contents that where cut.

All the games of the world have cut/changed content. Developers at one stage of the game development should just "Stop" and just focus on polishing the game.Also some ideas will get removed because they aren't fun enough.

Just watch Max Payne 1 E3 1998 trailer and you see how much different it is to the main game.(It also has some enemies/weapons that didn't appear in the final game.)

If the developers want, they can add/change contents until the game becomes a vaporware like Duke Nukem Forever.
dg1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-19, 04:46   #64
michaeldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1995 View Post
Thinking about cut/changed content in games will only make you suffer.Since you will only get disappointed for the cool sounding contents that where cut.

All the games of the world have cut/changed content. Developers at one stage of the game development should just "Stop" and just focus on polishing the game.Also some ideas will get removed because they aren't fun enough.

Just watch Max Payne 1 E3 1998 trailer and you see how much different it is to the main game.(It also has some enemies/weapons that didn't appear in the final game.)

If the developers want, they can add/change contents until the game becomes a vaporware like Duke Nukem Forever.
Very true, especially when the developer only has one year to produce the game, they need to cut content in order to focus and polish the final product as a whole.

If the developer keeps adding content and not cutting anything, thats when an AOD situation happens, too many ideas thrown in and hard to focus on core aspects (which ironically led to Core cutting masses of content last minute ).
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote