Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > General Chat

Old 02-09-12, 12:41   #11
michaeldt

In 1998 when I was 2 years old, my parents had bought TR2 on PC for my cousin's birthday, unfortunately my Aunt would not let my cousin play the game and my parents gave me a go at it, obviously I don't remember this as I was only 2, but this is where I started, where my memory kicks in is when I was 5-6 ish. So at age 5 I remember becoming more interested in the series and we also had a Mac OS9, I remember wanting more TR games to play, so we went down to the Apple Store and they had both The Last Revelation and Chronicles for sale (in the big triangular boxes, too!). Funny thing is that when we bought them, I initially thought that TRC was TR4 and that TLR was TR5. So, we got more TR games for the Mac and I never really followed the story much but I loved playing them. When I was 6 in 2002, I was hearing the news about The Angel of Darkness, I however did not read any news about it and would just look at screenshots on the internet.

We had also recently bought a PS2 (which was a big thing to buy for us), we looked up the release date for AOD and I was exploding with excitement. When the release date came, my mum took me down the game shop and I was dancing around the streets around her because I was so excited However, when we arrived at the shop and my mum asked about the game, we got the news that the game was delayed until 2003, which very much upset me. I was very disappointed and did not want to wait that long.

I remember at the time I turned 7 in 2003, my mother threw a TR-style birthday for me! the cake was made to look like a laptop with lara on the screen, mum had made a scavenger hunt-like game and made parts of the house look like tombs with spider webs and skeleton balloons etc. She even did things like having to find a passport and a permission note to take guns overseas, I even had to find a revolver! (a toy one of course). That was a great birthday .

Well, 2003 came and I was 7, when we went to get the game, I was doing what I did before, I was dancing around and exploding with excitement. When we got to the shop, AOD was on sale for $99.99, and this was a big expense with the financial state that we were in. Well, we had saved up enough money to buy it and I was a very happy child. When we got home and I put the game into the PS2, my older brother sat next to me to see how the game looked as he had seen me play the others and wanted to see how it looked on PS2. Well, I don't think I payed any attention to the story at all and just wanted to play.

Surprisingly, I do not remember having any difficulty with the controls of AOD. however, being a little 7 year old I did not understand that you had to take care of a disc for it to work, I kept leaving the game out and it got very scratched, when I tried to play the game it was freezing a lot due to this and I got angry. Well, thats how I learned that I need to take care of my discs. So i could not play AOD in the meantime.

in 2004 when I was 8, I had been playing the other TR games on the Mac in the meantime. However, when we were in an electronics shop, we found a copy of AOD for something around $35-45, at the same time we also found Prima's official strategy guide on sale! so we bought both of them. Finally I was able to play AOD again. So, for the next year, I was playing and finally beating the older TR games and playing AOD.

At this point, my parent's had been separated for a few years and I only had the Mac TR's at my Dad's place with all the save-games on the computers there. So I asked my Mum about a PS1 so I could play the games at her place when I was there too. So we found a fantastic deal on E-bay for a PS1 and started the collect the old TR's as well. One great memory I have from this is that we had the strategy guides for TR1 and TR2, I used to get my Mum to sit down next to me with the book open and read it out to me as I was playing the game. Fun times

I saw the announcement for Tomb Raider Legend in 2005 and that got me excited. For a while, I was seeing screenshots of the game in magazines, watching the amazing (and very misleading of the final product) trailers that came around on the internet. I was also replaying AOD to get ready for AOD. Well, TRL finally launched and I was 10 when it came out, We bought the game for PS2 and XBOX (PS2 at Mums place, XBOX at Dad's) . I thoroughly enjoyed the game, I did however notice that it was incredibly short, especially for a TR game. Well I replayed the game a lot however and was collecting all the secrets and stuff for a while.

Eventually I heard the announcement about TRA and was excited for it. by the time it had launched, we had an XBOX360 at my Dad's place and I had TRL on X360. However at this time TRA was not announced for the X360, we got the PS2 version of the game when it launched. Later on, I started getting other versions of the TR games, I got TRA on the X360 later on, TRA on PSP, TRL on PSP etc. I then saw that TRU was announced and I don't know why, but I was not as excited for this instalment as I was for the others, I didn't pay much attention to the game during its development and just waited until Christmas so I could get it then, which was about a month after it's release.

On Christmas 2008, I got TRU for the Wii, which we had ordered from America. Unfortunately when I tried to play it, it had region code problems, so we had to get another one and sell the US one. When I finally played it, I found it fun and addicting. I had asked for the Wii version as my brother usually commandeered the X360. Well, my Dad got me for my birthday, the 'Ultimate Fan Pack' version for the X360 as a birthday gift. I started playing and realised all of the differences between the Wii version and X360 version. Well, I was constantly playing the game even after I had beaten it as I was bored. I then heard about the DLC announcement for TRU and got excited as I had the X360 version. When they started becoming available, I downloaded them immediately and immensely enjoyed playing BTA and LS.

Me, my brother and sister are all promised a personal holiday for after our first year of high school. I finished my first year at the time of the last paragraph but I was told we were not in the financial state to go yet. during my second year, I was looking at PS3's, I was then asked "Would you rather a PS3? or put your holiday off for another year?" So I asked for the PS3 (Great choice, Is till have it today ). I did not know any games for it, so I asked for TRU (lol) and my sister got LBP. With the PS3, I started opening up to other games such as Uncharted and LBP etc.

Well, now I played the PS3 over the X360. I was anxiously waiting for some TR news, when those very first concept images were leaked of TR9, I actually really liked the idea and was hoping for them to be real (which they partially are). Well, I downloaded Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light when it came out and enjoyed playing that too. I got %100 of trophies on it, as I did with TRU when the trophy patch was released.

When the TR trilogy was announced for the PS3 I wanted that too, so I bought it with my own money and I platinum'd both TRL and TRA .

So, here I am today, playing other games and following the news for Tomb Raider (2013)

These are the platforms that I have each TR game on:

.TR1- Mac (Lost), PS1, PC (Lost years ago)
.TR2- Mac (Lost), PS1, PC (God knows what happened to this)
.TR3- Mac, PS1
.TR4- Mac (Lost), PS1, PC (could never get it to work on Virtual PC on Mac)
.TR5- Mac (Lost), PS1
.TRCOTS- GBA
.TRP- GBA
.AOD- Mac (Lost, seeing a pattern here?), PS2
.TRL- PS2, XBOX, XBOX360 (Sold), NDS, PSP
.TRA- PS2, X360, PSP, Wii, Mac
.TRU- PS2, PS3, X360, Wii, NDS
.GOL- PS3

You all awake?

Last edited by michaeldt; 02-09-12 at 12:52.
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 13:04   #12
Laras Dream

My story is rather different - I think. I remember having (and still do have) a Tomb Raider III demo disc, with Lara printed on top of it too. It must have been from a magazine or something, I'm not sure exactly. When we were moving house - I was about 4 or 3 - I came across this demo disc. I was already intrigued by computers so I used to just slot in any disc I found LOL. I think it also came with a Nightmare Creatures demo and a Worms demo. It also had a video of some guy who was obsessed with Lara and was in a police station I think. I can remember him saying "Keep to the shadows Lara" LOL.

So I then played the Tomb Raider III Jungle Demo. Of course for the most time I had no idea what I was doing, but I came to know. I just messed about, I remember it took me ages to find out how to jump over the spikes and then once I was playing again I was like... how did I jump the last time? LOL Once I discovered there was more than 1 game I got my dad to buy me literally every game there was. XD At this time the Angel of Darkness was only new out about a year, but I didn't know this at the time.

After googling Lara Croft, I came across www.planetlara.com, which I'm sure most of you remember (which is re - opening in case you're interested). I joined up and had no idea how to use the forums, haha, but I grew to know how to. This is also what got me interested in web development, I wanted to make my own Tomb Raider site, so I used freewebs LOL but of course I then moved onto proper web design.

From then on at play - time that used to be all I drew at school. Each time my teachers didn't even have to look at what I was drawing, they knew it would be Lara. hehe. I then remember wanting to play Tomb Raider as a kid (not the actual game, just with friends messing about pretending to be characters) but of course no one wanted to. haha.

That is basically the story of my obsession with Lara Croft. It's only now that I actually bothered to complete the classics, which are pretty enjoyable. Thanks for reading!
Laras Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 13:08   #13
Evermore

Awesome thread!

I used to watch someone I knew play Tomb Raider on her laptop. I'd heard of Tomb Raider before but I wasn't deeply into it. I liked watching people play, but I never played it myself. It just introduced me to the world of Tomb Raider. That was years ago.

A few years later I was looking around in a charity shop one day when I saw Tomb Raider II on a shelf. It brought back memories of watching my friend play Tomb Raider, and I wanted to give it a go as it was my preferred genre, so I bought it. I spent a lot of time at Lara's Home, trying to find all the secrets in there (I haven't made it to the basement to this day). I did try the first level, but as I was new to Tomb Raider it was pretty hard. I think I finished it maybe once, but I got lost in Venice.

Then I discovered an old scratched up copy of Tomb Raider III in my house (lolidk). I rejoiced and played it. It was cooler than Tomb Raider II, but I found it harder at first. Again, I spent ages in Lara's Home (never got to the basement but I checked out the secret room), but I did try Jungle.

Another day in a charity shop, I found Tomb Raider 4 and 5 for PS1. Of course I bought them. Tomb Raider 4 wasn't so bad. I played Angkor Wat like 60 times, haha. I also finished the first level, but the game got too hard at Burial Chambers (I'm TERRIBLE at controlling Lara on the PlayStation - I was used to PC). My memory card filled up, so I had to play without saving. My farthest was Burial Chambers, but I kept dying on that trap room in Tomb of Seth. :P

As for Tomb Raider 5, it was a lost cause for me. I was terrible.

I bought Tomb Raider Legend for PS2 when it came out. I didn't know about the company transfer, and I wasn't really bothered tbh. I didn't mind Lara's new look, I just played. I got up to the motorbike bit in Peru and stopped because I kept dying. One day, however, I managed to defeat it, and raced through the rest of the game. I was disappointed at the end, but I ended up playing the levels again for the secrets. I loved the outfits, especially Amanda.

And here comes my Tomb Raider obsession. I went through a phase when all I could think and talk about was Tomb Raider. I bought all the games, classics on PC and Crystal games on PS2 and got better and better, playing through them. I never finished TRC and TRLR, though. I felt that my PlayStation copies were enough. I also owned TR1 Gold, with Unfinished Business and an available Lara theme for Windows XP (I loved that so much, omg).

I finished Anniversary but never Underworld (I got bored at Mexico). Despite this, when I saw an Underworld Lara figure in GAME, I had to buy it.

I learned about TRLE when I was surfing the web one day. More Tomb Raider! I spent AGES trying all the different levels (of course I didn't try all of them; that would take so much time), and learned all there is to know about playing levels on TRLE. Unfortunately I still don't know how to work the level editor itself...

Finally, I recieved the Tomb Raider Collection. All of the Core games on PC. YAY. I ditched my old PC copies for these new ones, and got to work playing. Only recently I managed to get Chronicles and Last Revelation to work on my computer, and I'm on The 13th Floor in Chronicles and Burial Chambers in Last Revelation. As for AOD... I think I'm on the Strahov Fortress. IDK.

I learned about TRLE when I was surfing the web one day. More Tomb Raider! I spent AGES trying all the different levels (of course I didn't try all of them; that would take so much time), and learned all there is to know about playing levels on TRLE. Unfortunately I still don't know how to work the level editor itself...

And that is my Tomb Raider life story. The discovery of TRF came somewhere just before I got the Tomb Raider Collection, and of course I only joined last month. I think my Tomb Raider obsession is back again, and I hope it shall stay.
Evermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 14:23   #14
michaeldt

It's a shame, we're all writing so much. But I don't think many people are going to read it! XD
Old 02-09-12, 16:26   #15
Alex Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannosaurus View Post
Hello?

Hello, are you still awake?
OHh!! yeah? yeah? YEAAH! YEEAHH!! Yeah hi, yeah it's a good story.
Alex Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 18:26   #16
ThatToastyBass
Inactive

My TR life story started in 1997 when I got a Sega Saturn with a copy the original TR. It was a very long first installment of my first TR episode; with a lot of completion attempts - the first serious one in the Summer of 1998 (halted due to crap TV not showing crevice needed to shimmy over the croc pit in the colosseum level); another intense attempt in the Summer of 2000 (halted by the skateboarding MF) and a third in Summer 2001 (thwarted again by the same damn enemy).

The reason I gave up several times was due to how unenjoyable I found Natla's Mines. Finally however, I had a brainwave to get all the classics for pounds and pence this Summer and play on my slimline PS2. 15 years on, I've just vanquished the original and I am currently 3/4 through TR2.

I have found TR an influential game and no mistake. Up there with Resident Evil 1-4 and Radiant Silvergun. TR is the only game that I never completed within a few weeks of first play.
ThatToastyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-12, 18:31   #17
Rai

*Tries to think of interesting TR story* *can't* uh....

I buy the games and I play 'em

sorry if I bored you with that wall of text right there.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 04:47   #18
JsotoTRSaga

Great stories so far they all have some little similarities to mine i identify with some of the things mentioned
JsotoTRSaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-12, 12:17   #19
Hairhelmet12
Inactive

Wow.. Some of these storys are really interesting, I'll read them all later.

As for my story, I've posted little bits of it around, but I'll put it all here.

My father went to a game store god knows when, probably around 1996 or so, he asked the clerk if he knew of any good games, and he told him Tomb Raider. He said "She handles really well" so he bought it and took it home to play, and was instantly hooked. I don't remember him playing it much, I wasn't that old then. but I do remember him playing TR2 and I would watch him play for as long as he would, and beg him to play more when he wanted to stop. I remember getting the game ready for him when he came home from work, to play so I could watch.

Then as I got older, he sort of lost interest after TR2. He couldn't beat the dragon. So I started getting into TR, I remember playing TR1 and 2 but never really paying attention to the story, I'd just run around on random levels and what not. and then it was 2003 and I was really into video games, and was old enough to actually play them. So we went to a video game store, I think it was EB games back then and seen TRAOD was coming out soon, and we got a DVD with AOD Lara on it. She was jumping to the side, it was silver with some red on it. It wasn't even a game. It just had some commercials on it, but anyway. Soon after I got the AOD strategy guide, I begged for the game but my parents just got me that and I just loved the cover, I loved how Lara looked and how cool she was. Then sometime later I actually got the game and LOVED it, I never really had trouble with the controls or any game stopping bugs. Surprising for how young I was. I remember finally beating it after being stuck on the boaz for EVER. I was so upset after I beat it. I don't think I had the older games anymore, So I didn't really play TR again until I happened to see Legend in the video store, luckly my mom let me rent it. Lara was so different I didn't get why, but I just played and didn't really care. I beat it after a couple of days and remember being blown away by the last cutscene. I thought Lara was so bad ass.

and as I got older, still super into TR. I found this place! I eventually got back and now have and love all of the TRs. My story isn't really that interesting as some of the others. But after reading a few I just wanted to share.
Hairhelmet12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 12:33   #20
michaeldt

This thread needs more people participating! D: